Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marriage in a North American resort

Poster: A snowHead
Me and my other half are considering getting married whilst on a skiing holiday in North America. It would be
just the two of us.

Does anyone have any experience of this ? December / January is the time we're thinking of going but having never skiied in North America before I'm a bit concerned about bad weather.

We're both intermediate standard so any resort opinions would be great. From what I can gather most people seem to choose Vail, Whistler or Banff for this kind of thing but that might be just because the big tour operators have wedding packages to these resorts ..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
monty wrote:
Me and my other half are considering getting married whilst on a skiing holiday in North America. It would be
just the two of us.

If you choose a resort in Utah (home of the Mormons), you might be able to include others in your marriage! wink

You might consider the Lake Tahoe area. Some of the resorts there are in or near Nevada (most are in California). Many Americans seem to get married in Nevada, so I think they're set up for it and possibly the necessary licences are easier to obtain. You could also take in places like Las Vegas or San Francisco if you go to Tahoe.

Congratulations! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
monty, If you are SCGB member - there have been a couple of threads on their forum recently discussing this whole issue.

Bannf area may be pretty cold in January.
snow report
 brian
brian
Wonder if you could get married by a skiing Elvis, uh-huh-huh ? Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't worry about the weather compared to an English summer wedding where of late I have experienced severe heatwave & no aircon, torrential thunderstorm, extreme rain, flooding etc.

If its just the 2 of you you can almost certainly rock up & get married at many places, possibly at a day's notice, in Tahoe. If you want first Saturday in January you can probably get married at Mt Rose on Elvis Day with ahorde of skiing/boarding Elvises to serenade you
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
South Lake Tahoe has plenty of wedding chapels in the Vegas style, Heavenly also do weddings on the Piste etc (http://www.skiheavenly.com/plan_your_trip/groups/weddings).

If you're considering going there and have a few quid to spend, stay in Incline Village at the Hyatt Lake Tahoe, its the best location for all the Tahoe resorts and they do weddings on their private beach (http://laketahoe.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/). Tahoe is way cheaper on the whole than Colorado.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

If you are SCGB member - there have been a couple of threads on their forum recently discussing this whole issue

I had thought of directing monty to these discussions, but decided they were so terminally boring that he might end up planning a funeral instead of a wedding. Sorry, you know I have loads of time for the Ski Club (and have also booked a Freshtracks holiday) but perLEEZ - those threads are DIRE! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know Vail do it, as we were there as one was taking place Smile

Bride was in her wedding dress and groom in full suit, they then skied down the mountain for drinks at the bar we were in - Bart & Yetis . Went down a storm and the locals bought em drinks all night .They were English and it had been arranged via an English company Shocked

HTH
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, Utah is actually a big state.. so you'll definitely find tons of ppl, not all mormons Razz . Actually that's a bit an urban legend, I mean Salt Lake city IS the land of mormons I guess for what all the city is planed... but I was living 4 months in Park City (like 30 miles from SL) and never met not even one mormon. Besides that, it is just a perfect place to me! well... have to admit that I don't have much to compare with yet but it it will be one of my favourites no matter what.. I'm totally sure of that: beautifull place, great snow and ppl, sunny days ohh sight... cant really wait to go back Crying or Very sad

anyway best of lucks monty! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowuy, yep, been right across it: but not skiing. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, hmmm.. you'll have to go back then wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My friend got married top of Heavenly (Nevada side) . It was all touch and go because of weather. When the weather was good (important for the photos) the minister called us up and we all met up on the Nevada side to do the paperwork then lifts up , ceromony then ski back down to Heavenly for the party Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I was repping for Inghams at Big Mountain, Montana in 99/00 a Scottish couple asked me to arrange a wedding for them.

Turns out that the head of Ski Patrol, John Gray, is a lay preacher.

We (me, the couple and the photographer) met John at the Ski Patrol shack on the top of Big Mountain at the end of the ski day and skied down to a run called Evan's Heaven for the ceremony.

Bride was in full wedding dress regalia. Groom in a Kilt and jacket.

The ceremony was very classy, the backdrop of snowghosts, Whitefish Lake and the Flathead Valley extraordinary, the temps not too cold (-7 C) and the ski down to the base sublime. Myself and the photographer acted as witnesses and I played the role of best man by holding the rings.

The happy couple were cheered in by the locals who were still in the village.

The 'Reception' was at the 'Stube and fair play to Randy (the owner at the time) he did them proud. He hooked them up with free food and drink all night.

It was a great night and they were made to feel the most important people in Whitefish that night.

And they're still together Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
monty, Friends of ours got married 10 years ago at the Green Mountain Inn in Stowe, Vermont. The wedding pictures looked lovely like something out of the Waltons. We stayed there 6 years ago and liked it. The rooms have patchwork quilts and there are rocking chairs on the verandah - very romantic.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shhhhhhhhhh keep it down, my bloody girlfriend might be reading this, and we are in winterpark in january........ move along angela nothing to see
snow report
monty, I doubt your namesake the Field Marshall would have contemplated getting married in the US. They take your fingerprints remember. I am sure that would have been an affront to his British sensibilities!

Mrs Doubtfire, on the other hand, would probably fit it in around one of the majors - but that is golfers for you !

Whatever you decide have a good one. I have been to Banff, Whistler and Tahoe but never thought to consider their wedding potential.
ski holidays
Some friends of friends got married on the peak of Whistler a couple of years ago. It was a chilly day so to exchange rings, they had to take their gloves off quickly and put them back on a split-second later. Shocked

They spent the rest of the day skiing with a snowboarding cameraman filming them. Very Happy
snow report
Monty,

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding, and what an excellent way to tie the knot!

My husband and I got married on the mountain at Lake Louise last year (end of Feb 2006). We snowboarded to and from our wedding with two friends, a local Marriage Commissioner and a local photographer. We arranged the everything easily ourselves via phone, fax and e-mail - no need to take up tour operator wedding packages if you don't want to. Everything went smoothly and the Snow Gods even arranged a powder day for us.

Let me know if you need any recommendations in the Banff area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for all the useful replies. Plenty of food for thought.

I think we're still edging towards a Canadian / Northern US resorts although I'm liking the sound of Lake Tahoe. I'm assuming
there should be more sun in Dec/Jan down in Nevada / California ..

So if anyone has any more recommendations for accommodation in Banff, Lake Louise, Big Mountain, Whistler or Lake Tahoe that would be great.
latest report
Get married in an Elvis chapel in Vegas.
ski holidays
We exchanged vows on the bridge of the paddle steamer that plies Lake Tahoe after my first skiing holiday there the previous year. Very easy to arrange just gain the marriage licence from El Dorado county offices and get married the next day.
snow report
Stowe has a chapel on the mounain. Every year there are a few weddings on skis.
latest report
Grand or intimate for Big Mountain?
snow report
Quote:

Grand or intimate for Big Mountain?

Intimate is more our thing for accommodation. Although as it's the biggy not french ski resort "intimate" ie tiny Smile
snow report
We are tying the knot in Banff December 27th. Even have a Scottish wedding planner now based in Canmore (30 minutes away) sorting it for us. Google for Rocky Mountain Weddings, Hazel is very helpful.

Should be great fun, ceremony indoors at Banff Springs Hotel but the afterwards some outdoor shots (weather permitting!)

ScottyDog
ski holidays
A couple of friends of mine got married in Tahoe and had a great time.

Not North America, but you might be interested in these two friends of mine who got married in Finland in an ice chapel - Check out the video, it's lovely. And we all went snowboarding the next day to celebrate! Smile

http://www.icewedding.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy