Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kit for little kids - to buy or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Long time away from this board, just a quick question please?

Little one will be 3 in December so this will be his first season! We missed last year due to DH's spine op. Really looking forward to getting him started and getting back to it ourselves after last couple of years!

Anyway my question is do you buy or hire boots and helmets for little kids? First thought would be to rent because they are growing so quickly at this age and he is likely to do 3 weeks per season max but some dry/dome too. But then I saw the prices of kids stuff in the sale at S&R and thought that at those prices;£25 boots, £20 helmets it could well be worth buying. Also if buying how much growth space do you leave in boots for little kids? And is an adjustable helmet a good idea? It is a Giro one adjustable from 49 -54 cm.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Sarah
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, I would buy the helmet, and stick to renting the skis and boots, unless you find some that you can part-exchange at a later date for larger ones. Good prices though, I would be tempted too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, Me too, I've done the same as helmets pay for themseslves very quickly but can't justify buying boots - small feet can grow very quick. They might only be the perfect fit on the day you buy them!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, As above - we bought our boys helmets and got two seasons from one and three from the other - a good investment. Also, you know what happens to your own helmets - perhaps could be a concern renting not knowing what wear and tear has taken place Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, Same for us; you know you have the correct helmets and they don't take up much space. Boots for our two were hired for their first three trips.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I found that when I took my little one who is four but very small for his age, that I didn't have problems renting boots or skis but could never find a helmet small enough for him. Both the dry slope and the snowdome carried helmets that were far to big and hindered his progress. I am sure when they are too big they don't offer much protection anyway so we bought one and haven't regretted it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, how much do you value the time you'd spend hiring boots?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all!

Comments much appreciated.

I am going to go to S&R tomorrow to have a try on, I gave them a ring and they have the sale stuff in stock.

We will have a try on and see how we go. At those prices if all well I will buy, as I have looked at hire costs and £25 for boots will be cost effective if we do 2 trips. Also good point comprex, I don't really fancy trying boots on a 3 year old in a crowded hire shop if I can buy them so cheaply. I thought about it and his normal shoes cost me that much or more! I have also been looking back over his foot growth over tha past year and trying to predict it for the next 6 months or so!! I will aim for a fair amount of growing room now on the basis that we won't be on snow til New Year at least.

Just another point...I wondered as I read something in a brochure about parents objecting to little ones actually wearing helmets...I wondered why? I can see that playing in the snow garden they might not actually need them but start as you mean to go on I suppose?

Thanks again!

Sarah
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, Another vote for hiring boots and skis, and buying a helmet. On at least one occasion we have changed boot size for one sprog mid holiday to get a better fit. I am not convinced that S&R are good enough at fitting adult boots - but at least adults can give meaningful feedback, but this isn't the case for tinies, and sometimes you only find out that they are in the wrong boot by changing to a different one. Our younger sprog (now 5) is on his second helmet and is really proud of it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy