Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what is the ideal?

Poster: A snowHead
How would be the perfect hood like? any good examples?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowuy, welcome to snowHeads aka the madhouse! Not sure I understand your post, though. Maybe it's just me...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowuy, welcome. Interesting name. How's the snow in Uruguay?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowuy, these guys know their hoods... http://www.descente.net/descente_2006/apparel/technicalfeatures.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, yes, just you wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey! thank you very much for the warm welcome!!!

yep, this topic might sound a bit confusing, the thing is that I'm doing a research about technical hoods right now, so wanted to know what is important to others when riding.. like detachability, roll-away, speakers.... and so on..

Thanks again.. talk to you soon!

PS: no snow here, though weathermen are talking about some flakes coming this way as it’s being really cold lately… anyway no mountains either so heading up to the northern slopes soon! cheers from UY!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowuy, oh, OK. Speaking personally, I don't like music piped straight into my brain, so that's not an issue. Picking up ideas from Bode Swiller's link, my anorak hood has a bendy bit in front, enabling it to stay in place, which is good. But it doesn't have peripheral vision side panels, which strikes me as a brilliant idea - I hate not being able to see things to the side of me.
(Bog off, Bode.)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowuy, PS Roll-away is good, detachability means you run the risk of losing the pesky thing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowuy, I think you'll find that the list of desirable features on hoods quite depends on whether one wears a helmet or not.

For my own part (with helmet):

waterproof
detachable
roll-away storage into collar with zip or snap buttons (which also means -not- insulated)
chin tension controlled separately from main drawstring (I thinlk you'll find this also helps peripheral vision, as per Hurtle)
forehead drape extent control separately from main drawstring (I'd velcro it to the helmet except sometimes I have a headlamp)
ability to button down the lower front edge to the coat below shoulder level
I do use a 2-way radio so speakers are out.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowuy, roll away isn't good... detachable hoods can have proper insulation, they are shaped better and they allow for a better engineered collar. (Roll away, Hurtle)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wired hoods for me but not too tall that they fall down at the front an obscure view of escape route as I go out of control!!

As long as there's enough space between the wind collar and the peak for me to see out of I'm cool. Tightening strings to make the hood fit properly aroudn the head is a good one too. Fleece-linings always get on my nerves because they catch on your hat and move it out of place.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No rollaway/detachable/electronics. Big enough to go over a helmet for those big storms. otherwise sit nicely round the back of the neck to keep stuff out. Cut away at the sides for goggle visibility. Count on everyone using goggles - if its bad enough to be wearing a hood there is really no excuse for sun glasses.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A bright colour is also a good idea, if conditions are bad enough to need a hood, then visibility is also probably an issue, at that point fashion goes out of the window in favour of safety.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowuy, I prefer a detachable hood as I have never needed to use one while skiing. I wear a helmet so if I ever needed to wear a hood it would need to fit over the helmet. Not into music when skiing.

Oh, and welcome to snowheads. Very Happy

snowHead

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 17-08-07 0:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks a lot guys! I do am new here but already loving this place… lots of feedback and really interesting opinions and perspectives.. thanks for sharing them with me!

So definitely I’ll stay close.. see you! Very Happy
snow report
snowuy, Welcome. If you want someone to field test new product I'm a 42" chest wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy