Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April in USA/ Canada recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to take the family to US / Canada for the Easter school holidays ( starting around 5th April ) for 10 /11 nights before the eldest leaves the nest.

Although powder experience for the kids is very limited, as they have never been before and the SO and I have only been to Banff,all love tree skiing and confidently ski blacks and go off piste in Euorpe in resorts like Val D'Isere and 3 Valleys.

Looking for a resort/area that will have:-

a. Good snow cover this late in the season
b. Enough terrain to keep all happy

On my short list area:- Whistler, Breckenridge and Vail

Your thoughts please
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go for Breck, but that's mainly because vail is so expensive. I wouldn't risk booking Whistler until I was more sure of the snow, that late it coud dbe raining big style. When we were there, end March as I recall it was tricky, other years we have met people who have abandoned Whistler because of lack of snow. That said, last season was record conditions. I just think that colorado is more reliable.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Breck is not bad - but is - IMHO - not what American Skiing as about. Too high, not enough trees. I prefer Vail

Only time I went to whistler in April it was great where there was snow, but patchy and wet low down.

More trees in Aspen and Steamboat.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Breckenridge is WAY too small for a full week, let alone 10/11 night.

You're left with two choices in your short list. Between the two, Vail likely have better quality of snow that late in the season. But not as big as Whistler, nor as varied in terms of terrain.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc wrote:

You're left with two choices in your short list. Between the two, Vail likely have better quality of snow that late in the season. But not as big as Whistler, nor as varied in terms of terrain.
Any others not on the shortlist that I may have overlooked?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can you not get a Vail Resorts pass that allows skiing in Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, A-Basin, and Breck... that is what I had.... I did have a seasons pass but do they do shorter versions?

I liked Breck - especially the off-piste skiing when we got a good dump of snow... but then I had a few tour guides Very Happy
Vail was great fun too...

Then again - I think I'd ski almost anywhere and enjoy it... I just want a decent lesson or something to work on after some tune-up time... (still need help getting an idea what the body is up to when I first ski)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RDSpearing wrote:
abc wrote:
Any others not on the shortlist that I may have overlooked?

If you want to stay in one single resort, you've got the number 1 and 2 (size-wise) in your list already! Wink

But if you don't mind "resort hopping" (out of the same bed), the following are the "clusters" of resorts in the US :

- Salt Lake City (Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighten)
- Park City (Canyon/Deer Valley/?)
- Aspen (Aspen/Snowmass/??)
- Summit County (Breck/Copper/A-basin/Keystone)
- Tahoe south or north...(too many to list)

Snow: Not been to Tahoe in April. But there should be no shortage of snow. The rest are usually pretty good both in quantity AND quality, except Park City might be a bit slushy due to low base elevation.

Most of those "clusters" have shuttle bus that's quite convenient (as shuttle bus can be). So we're NOT talking about road trips here (except Tahoe). Some of them even share lift passes. You just can't ski from one resort to the next one though.

Others will fill in the Canadian list...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 16-08-07 16:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Second for Utah. Snowbird and Alta best bets for late snow; Canyons are good for trees but a bit low so don't keep snow as well.

abc wrote:

Maybe when half the mountain is shut. Granted, Keystone gets bumped up and icey but A-basin and Loveland still going very strong so plenty there to keep busy with.

Jackson Hole should also be on your short list.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ABC has hit the nail on several heads!

Utah for me.

Jackson Hole closes the first week in April.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RDSpearing wrote:
Looking to take the family to US / Canada for the Easter school holidays ( starting around 5th April ) for 10 /11 nights before the eldest leaves the nest.

Although powder experience for the kids is very limited, as they have never been before and the SO and I have only been to Banff,all love tree skiing and confidently ski blacks and go off piste in Euorpe in resorts like Val D'Isere and 3 Valleys.

Looking for a resort/area that will have:-

a. Good snow cover this late in the season
b. Enough terrain to keep all happy

On my short list area:- Whistler, Breckenridge and Vail

Your thoughts please

Whistler stays open to early june. Reliably. this year was a good 'un, I was there for 4 days in early may and it was awesome. the lower slopes are usually green but in April you'll be skiing the to top 2/3rds of both mountains. That's huge terrain and better weather. Check out my blog report from May should you be interested.

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=amonth%3d5%26ayear%3d2007

there's also pics in the photos albums if you dig a bit. The village and slopes are also quieter then, and much cheaper.

Lake louise/Sunshine also very reliable in April. In fact it snows more there in spring typically than in winter. And in Utah, Snowbird is often open until end May. Reliable snow, pretty dull place to stay tho. Mammoth in California is famous for spring skiing too - often open until July.

I defer to others more knowledgeable on Colorado, but places like Jackson always close early April - it's the elk migration. And in less populated areas, lack of people wanting to ski close hills before lack of snow.

Or if you're adventurous, the Oregon Cascade mountains like Mt Hood (Timberline. Meadows) and Bachelor are always open until May and often beyond. Superb spring skiing there. Crystal, Stevens, Baker in Washington stay open until the crowds go away (typically 20-something April), not the snow. The volcano ski tour of the cascades is a cracker - hire car, and a slight sense of adventure required. But accommodation and lift tickets are a fraction of Colorado prices.

April is a wonderful time to ski in the Cascades. Just fly to Seattle/Portland and work it out the week before .... not for everyone, I know, but fun guaranteed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

April is a wonderful time to ski

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I found myself going later and later in the season when planning trips...

Some say the season has gotten later on the calendar. But I'm not sure of that. I've always skied in late March/early April ever since 10-15 years ago, and always had wonderful time!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Banff (Lake Louise / Sunshine Valley) would be ideal for April.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The problem with Colorado may be the altitude particularlysince, from Southampton, you are going from sea level. Some altitude sickness may occur as the resorts at base level at pretty hign, obviously even higher up top. The lowest is I think Steamboat where you could acclimatise for a few days before going somewhere else. It has a reputation for being a bit flat (but good trees). Not been so I dont know. Aspen/Snowmass are not as high as some of the others I think

Tahoe has a multitude of resorts with relatively easy driving from wherever you stay, with the option of a few days in San Francisco at the end. No real altitude problems. Been there 3 times in April and always had good skiing. Lots of sun as well. Sunscreen a must.

Whistler has no altitude problems and in my experience (again 3 times in April )no snow problems. But it does rain in the village (which is at 1800 m) if it is snowing up top. If you dont want/like that then it is simple, dont go.That doesnt worry me at all which is why I keep going back.

For me Whistler is the best. I cope with the village rain, the skiing is great, the village is great...lots of good restauarants/bars, you can do without a car (absloute necessity in my view at Tahoe) and Vancouver is a lovely city for a few days (even more so if it doesnt rain there).

Also been to Mammoth in April....never seen so much snow, piled 10-12 ft high at the road side and snowed maybe 2 ft when we there. Long drive from LA (interesting in itself if you like that sort of thing) and a lot of terrain. Village not especially nice....a car is a necessity
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
malcolm1 wrote:

Whistler has no altitude problems and in my experience (again 3 times in April )no snow problems. But it does rain in the village (which is at 1800 m) if it is snowing up top. If you dont want/like that then it is simple, dont go.That doesnt worry me at all which is why I keep going back.

For me Whistler is the best. I cope with the village rain, the skiing is great, the village is great...lots of good restauarants/bars, you can do without a car (absloute necessity in my view at Tahoe) and Vancouver is a lovely city for a few days (even more so if it doesnt rain there).

agree entirely, except Whistler village is 675m, give or take one or two Very Happy

And there's often bears to be spotted on the trails below the gondola, which is very cool.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the advice guys and girls the jury is in and the decision is Whistler!......................
latest report
Killington is quick and easy to get to from the UK.

Aspen has the classiest atmosphere.

Whistler will be busier than the US resorts.

All 3 will be fine. But Whistler just edges it, provided you can put up with the freezing cold, irritating village rain.

If not, go to Aspen for style, or Killington for convenience.
snow report
RDSpearing wrote:
Thanks for all the advice guys and girls the jury is in and the decision is Whistler!......................

good call, and despite all the doom sayers on here, you're just as likely to get sun as rain/snow.

Good chance we'll be up there at same time - I could do all my skiing at Whistler in April and May
ski holidays
Good choice.

Last season of course there were no problems with snow cover anywhere
The season before that was another powder fest all the way through
And the season before that one (the one that people talk about being bad) we had 42cm dump powder day on 1st April, and no, it wasn't an April Fools joke.
snow report
Quote:

Best take plenty of wet gear then including a brolly , tends to rain quite a lot in resort later in the season - after mid Feb. wink Shocked

Have fun its a great place Smile
latest report
Quote:

except Whistler village is 675m.

agreed.......................sorry, got my metres and feet mixed up !!

snow report
veeeight, it was no bl**dy joke, it was the day we flew home . Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Whistler in April? I wouldn't risk it with the soggy coastal climate. I would suggest going further inland eg Big White, Silver Star etc. where there's more chance of consistent snow and less crowds. Don't know much about the US resorts, so can't comment there.
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
Whistler in April? I wouldn't risk it with the soggy coastal climate. I would suggest going further inland eg Big White, Silver Star etc. where there's more chance of consistent snow and less crowds. Don't know much about the US resorts, so can't comment there.

If you'd been, you might change your mind. April/May is honestly one of the best times to ski Whistler/Blackcomb. Deep base up high, winter weather subsiding but still cold enoughto keep snow in good condition. And crowds? What crowds? Same goes for Lake Louise/Sunshine. Lots of bargain deals too.

And most of the inland BC resorts close around April 10th-ish. Lack of punters, not lack of snow.
ski holidays
gortonator, it is funny but over here when heading to the Alps in April we tend to pick high glacier resorts that are 'snow sure', but seem to ignore Whistler becasue it is rainy at resort level. What are the temperatures up high in Whistler at this time of year, if it is raining at the village does that mean it is snowing up top?. No problem getting the gondola back from the mid station to the resort if there is good snow up top Very Happy
snow report
Yes, you can ski anywhere that's up high during early April.

Although the main reason for going inland in April is you get to enjoy skiing in warmer weather in resorts that are otherwise (often) too cold to enjoy during "prime" season.

It's a matter of optimize snow depth and temperature so you have a fun holiday.
snow report
rayscoops, yep - I think folks forget that Whistler (Blackcomb this year) stays reliably open until first weekend in June - the glacier only opens after that. So the lower runs are green, but who cares - if you're skiing the lower runs there apart from on the way home or changing mountains then you need you're head feeling anyway.

I've been to Whistler once in May (this year) and once in April (2004) - wasn't here 05/06. Both trips have been quite superb. No crowds (ie no lines whatsoever), deep bases to 1/3rd way up mountain and all terrain open above, on and off-trail. Had good pow up high both times, and rained in village one day in 9. General snow conditions above mid mountain are like midwinter in most or Europe. Glacier Bowl this year in May was quite spectacular.

If you look at the precip record over the last few years, you'll see April/May is a lot dryer than mid-winter. So you don't get many big pow days, but its warmer/sunnier and doesn't rain much. The weather is pretty good in my experience.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/stats/index.htm

A real added bonus is accommodation is cheaper (in May it was a complete bargain - C$70 per night slopeside in village and C$99 for 4 days lift tickets), lift tickets are cheaper, bars and restaurants are pleasantly busy and vibrant but not heaving, the equipment sales are on, etc etc. And there are bears roaming the slopes - very cool.

For these reasons, its a fave hangout for many a buddy of mine, and PNW snowheads in general. And you don't need to book anything in advance as there so much accommodation choice. We book thursdays, drive friday ...

12 weeks til ski season Very Happy
latest report
But gortonator, the snow isn't guaranteed in Whistler late in the season. The snow in April 2005 was not worth skiing on, unless you like sticky, slushy, icy, concrete-mix for snow.

e.g. in the harmony zone, I remember Mr Snowy struggling to get down Little Whistler (under the lift) and he's usually skiing the likes of Monday's/Sapphire Bowl without any trouble. Meanwhile at the bottom of harmony piste, there were patches of invisible slow snow which would decelerate your skis to half the speed every few yards without warning. That wasn't pleasant.

However, the mountain biking in the valley more than made up for the lack of skiable snow. Very Happy

(yes, I realise spring snow isn't optimal, but this stuff was really nasty)

I'm just saying, you can't guarantee good snow, especially not in April time. Sad
snow conditions
Snowy wrote:
But gortonator, the snow isn't guaranteed in Whistler late in the season. The snow in April 2005 was not worth skiing on, unless you like sticky, slushy, icy, concrete-mix for snow. Sad

Mate, I wasn't here, so can't comment first hand on 2005 conditions. Although it does sound like you were skiing on white stuff? Were you there all April/May - conditions are known to change, especially in spring, and obviously getting up the hill early is a good idea for best conditions? Sticky snow is the downside of all that sun (Sun in Whistler ... Shurely shome mishtake, Ed), but groomers should be in good nick early. So get up there before the sun hits, take a leisurely lunch and head back out once the sun moves around, the shade returns and snow cools.

The folks in these pics seemed to be having a decent time on what looks like a respectable cover to me.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/gallery/april05/index.htm

But i wasn't there ...

Anyway, I guess if that's doesn't fit your definition of 'guaranteed', so be it. Not sure anyone has ever guaranteed 'good snow conditions' anywhere - weather is a darn pesky and unpredictable thing. But I'm more than happy to 'suffer' a couple of thousand acres of open bowls, chutes, bump fields, long groomers ... it's tough, but someone has to Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Anyway, I guess if that's doesn't fit your definition of 'guaranteed', so be it. Not sure anyone has ever guaranteed 'good snow conditions' anywhere - weather is a darn pesky and unpredictable thing. But I'm more than happy to 'suffer' a couple of thousand acres of open bowls, chutes, bump fields, long groomers ... it's tough, but someone has to...

A real added bonus is accommodation is cheaper (in May it was a complete bargain - C$70 per night slopeside in village and C$99 for 4 days lift tickets), lift tickets are cheaper, bars and restaurants are pleasantly busy and vibrant but not heaving, the equipment sales are on, etc etc. And there are bears roaming the slopes - very cool.

Well, if everyone goes there in april/may, it won't be cheap any more.

so why are you trying so hard to convince others to go there? Puzzled
snow report
gortonator, admittedly the 2004-2005 season was a freak year for snow in Whistler.
The Whistler website weather stats show 'snow fall'. Most of the January 2005 precipitation though was unformed snow (aka rain).Most of the snow that year came in March, but the temperatures were a little high so it was pretty heavy going.

Well you could say the stuff we were skiing on was white but it bore no resemblance to snow. You must have skied concrete-mix snow for instance that you can't turn in, if you've skied at Whistler? Sticky snow?

It did make me a jack of all trades at skiing just about every kind of snow imaginable in the course of a single run though, with the conditions changing with each metre of elevation descended. Advice from my instructor on how to get down Grande Finale on particularly nasty afternoon: "I can't ski on it either!", he said. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
abc wrote:

so why are you trying so hard to convince others to go there? Puzzled

Just doing a service to fellow snowheads ...apologies if this is inappropriate. I'd give lake Louise and Sunshine a similar rap too. I've had some epic April days there too.

And as most people give up skiing by April anyway, especially in the PNW (they're glad to see sun!), I think the danger of being overrun is pretty small.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 24-08-07 16:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Snowy wrote:
gortonator,

Well you could say the stuff we were skiing on was white but it bore no resemblance to snow. You must have skied concrete-mix snow for instance that you can't turn in, if you've skied at Whistler? Sticky snow?

It did make me a jack of all trades at skiing just about every kind of snow imaginable in the course of a single run though, with the conditions changing with each metre of elevation descended. Advice from my instructor on how to get down Grande Finale on particularly nasty afternoon: "I can't ski on it either!", he said. Madeye-Smiley

aye - we call it Cascade Concrete in these parts - know it well. And spring skiing can produce some heavy stuff. But it usually doesn't last long.

And what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Once you can ski Cascade Concrete, you can ski virtually anything!! And big fat powerful skis help a lot.
ski holidays
gortonator wrote:
malcolm1 wrote:
...But it does rain in the village (which is at 1800 m) if it is snowing up top...

agree entirely, except Whistler village is 675m, give or take one or two Very Happy

Yep, 1800m is the elevation of the Round House I believe (top of the Whistler gondola).

All this talk of Whistler is giving me itchy feet... Next aim, go down the Blow Hole instead of chickening out at the last moment (a.k.a the ice-cream cone of doooom!). Very Happy Perhaps it's the fear of forgetting to ski out the side and getting wedged in the bottom? Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

And what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Once you can ski Cascade Concrete, you can ski virtually anything!!

Funny what people do for their "holidays"! Shock
ski holidays
Snowy wrote:

All this talk of Whistler is giving me itchy feet... Next aim, go down the Blow Hole instead of chickening out at the last moment (a.k.a the ice-cream cone of doooom!). Very Happy Perhaps it's the fear of forgetting to ski out the side and getting wedged in the bottom? Shocked

Blowhole has evaded me too. Top t-bars not usually open early/late in season when I typically go. Had to make do this year with exploring new lines off Spankies and Flute Madeye-Smiley

12 weeks ...
ski holidays
RDSpearing wrote:

Is that really when the Easter school holidays are in your part of the world? Easter's exceptionally early next year - Good Friday's on 21 March - so we're planning a school holiday trip in late March.
snow report
Quote:

Is that really when the Easter school holidays are in your part of the world? Easter's exceptionally early next year - Good Friday's on 21 March - so we're planning a school holiday trip in late March.

Yes the local authorities have in their "wisdom" only give the kids a long weekend for Easter as they deemed Easter to be too close to Half Term in Feb.

Interestingly the tour operators et al have picked up on this early as the prices for these weeks suggest that they are fully aware fot his in the beginning of April a traditionally cheaper time to get away ( obviously if Easter does not fall there)!!
snow report
Whistler is a good choise but imho its a little bit too much "alps". Big resort and relativly wet snow (for North Am standards). Though since you are going in April Id say you will be having a bit of a hard time finding the powder days anyways since spring conditions is what you can expect.

In spring conditions I would go for a little bigger system which you get in Whistler.

If you went in march Id say Salt Lake, IGNORE Park City but ride snowbird, alta, brighton and maybe even solitude. SLC gives you a good taste of the "North American skiing experience". Skiing over there is imho about small systems with steep hills, fantastic snow and easily accessible offpist.

Fernie is the best place Ive ever skiied and it really gives just that experience but I wouldnt recommend anyone going to fernie that late since its relativly low and looses alot of its thrill in spring conditions.

Reason Im mentioning these two and not Aspen, Vail, Jackson, ect is price. SLC and BC rockies are alot cheaper. You will easily pay half the price in these resorts.

I found Whistler to be quite pricey as well but not nearly as much as the bigger US resorts. Still expencive for Canada.

But as I said for April I think its a good choise.

Tex
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy