Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody done / doing ski season recently?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a couple of things.

Firstly, I have been invited to an interview working abroad as a 'rep'. Well, it's more like 'repping' for school groups. I've been thinking about what I could be asked, but is there anything you think would be important for me to consider when asked?

If I was offered a position, do you think there is anything I could do which would help me whilst working abroad, as I have some time on my hands before the season starts to do a bit of preparation.

Any help much appreciated, Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any language skills relevant to the country you are working in will be a big help. Where abouts will you be working . . . .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vixxy, first aid course?

My experience was that the attitude required was "I will work first and ski second if at all" rather than "work pays for skiing, right?" Twisted Evil
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done appointed person of first aid course at my local ski slope. Do I need anything more sufficient than that because it wasn't much?

I speak French and German, and a little bit of Italian already, so will brush up on my ski-related vocabulary!

If you're successful they then allow you to choose where you want to be placed. Ideally France / Austria or Switzerland, due to the language. Would anyone have a preference of these as I've only skied in France out of these?

Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vixxy wrote:
.......I speak French and German, and a little bit of Italian already, so will brush up on my ski-related vocabulary!....

You only speak three & a half languages! Tchh, you've got no chance wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Which company?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Vixxy, When I did a season as rep, one of my criteria was airport transfer time, as I didn't want to spend an entire day each week stuck in a coach. I chose Verbier, which was fine. However, the only time I ever got to speak much French was - to the coach drivers once a week!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, I didn't have any choice, although fate made a good one for me. Re transfer time. mine was 75 minutes which sometimes meant TWO trips to GVA on a day - or a whole day co-ordinating...you can get too clever...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Vixxy,
Quote:

school groups

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Edited to comply with PC

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 16-08-07 8:55; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dypcdiver,
Quote:

Don't miss an opportunity to tell them you have paedophile tendencies

Was that supposed to be funny?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dypcdiver, nothing wrong with school groups - bet you learned to ski on school holidays as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Language skills, first aid course and a skier. Sounds like you have most of the bases covered.

Impress upon them your enthusiasm and also your organisational skills, after all you should not expect those hard worked teachers to be organised do you? wink wink wink

Hope all goes well for you, I am sure you will be fine.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 15-08-07 9:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vixxy,
Suprised it hasn't been mentioned, but try asking on Natives.co.uk
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, should have recommended you use the search function before posting a question (chances are the answers you need are there already!), and try the buttons at the top left of their page, such as 'seasons' & 'jobs' - these will give you some background info.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, nobody wants first aid or trains staff in it - all about not getting sued. rolling eyes
snow report
Lou, Yes hence the Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked & wink is your browser set to eliminate smilies?
Lizzard,Never, but I have taught them, and was one once!!
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked & wink don't eliminate everything imho. Anyway enough digression from Vixxy's, very valid thread.....
ski holidays
Lizzard, A sad reflection but you could very well be right.
ski holidays
Vixxy, do have a look at natives.co.uk. It's a season workers website and all your questions have been anwered on that site! I found it very helpful the first time I went out to do a season. Repping for school groups is quite different to repping for the big Tour Operators, and you might find you are shippped around from resort to resort over the season, which can be a pain if you want to establish yourself somewhere. You'll probably be expected to organise evening activities such as swimming, ice skating and quizzes, and organise them picking up skis and boots. On the plus side, you'll probably get a lot of time to ski, although you'll need to remain close to your charges in case of any 'incidents' - of which there will be many.

I've not done this job but have worked as an instructor with many school groups, so I've been in close contact with the reps.

have fun whatever you decide!
snow report
Thanks for all the replies guys! Yes I will try Natives.

The company is Ski Plan.

Paedophile tendancies? Shocked I won't ask.
ski holidays
Vixxy - in all seriousness, child protection is a big issue nowadays (BASI have introduced reduced the level at which it's now required) - so would be worth being able to demonstrate some awareness of the issues.

Alternatively, you could just and work for parlor wink
ski holidays
Vixxy, I work for SkiPlan (hotel manager). I wouldn't worry about all this child protection stuff as a) any job offer is conditional on a successful CRB check and b) at no time are you actually responsible for children - that's what the teachers are for.

As rep, you are most likely to be attached to one of the company's clubhotels, looking after both school groups and adult guests (more adults this year than last, I'm told). You will be required to do the following:

Schools - airport transfers; fetch/make up lift passes; liaise with ski school; help with ski fit; take groups to ski school meeting points; meet groups for lunch (possibly involving skiing about the mountain while carring a binliner full of 60 packed lunches); deal with doctors/insurance as necessary; organise evening ents programme (quiz, scavenger hunt, swimming, bowling, skating, crepe-eating, talent show, karaoke .............. etc. But don't even think about karaoke in my hotel unless it's my night off.)

Adults - more airport transfers; sell ski packs; fetch and distribute lift passes; promote and run apres ski activities; deal with the usual doctors/insurance/other problems; duty hours morning and evening.

You will be assisted in all this by a ski tech, who will also cover your day off.

The interview is not particularly frightening or rigorous. They are looking for hard-working outgoing types who will enjoy working with kids and adults and can work well in cooperation with others - you are very much part of the team in your hotel. My rep/tech last year were great, but a lot of other managers felt that their ops staff let them down, so a bit of waffle about teamwork and cooperation will go down well.

They are a decent company to work for on the whole - organisation can be a bit haphazard at times, but the general vibe is friendly.
snow report
Lizzard, thank you very much for the responce!

All sounds interesting, especially skiing with a bin liner of packed lunches!

I was going to ask about organising entertainment - thanks for the info!
latest report
Vixxy, me and a few of my mates are doing a season (in Tignes), but none of us are working for TOs, infact I am hoping not to work at all.
If you consider going down the route of sorting it all out yourself, drop me a PM and i'll tell you every thing I know now that I wish I had known 6 months ago....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy