Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden ( Soelden) Zwieselstein

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Zwieselstein is a small village 3km from Solden. Anyone have any knowledge of this place, how easy is it to get to/from Solden day time with skis and night time without?

Solden resort web site has some detail about local transport links/ ski bus, but doesn't tell you how often the buses fail to turn up or how seriously overcrowded they are Happy Very Happy

Travelling with a group of friends so will be spening most of day and night in Solden, but the only rooms I can get for our 4 night break (Thu-Mon) are in Zwieselstein.

Is staying here a viable alternative, we may have our own minibus but would prefer not to use it if that can be avoided.

Info, as always, gratefully received.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
masmith, when are you going ? We are going out to Solden for the New Year, so if you are going after that I may be able to help with some more info. Confused

I hope it works out, I take it you're wanting to party, hence not driving the bus Laughing

I found this, not sure if it is of any use

http://www.soelden.com/main/EN/WI/Skigebiet_Ort/Skipaesse/Skibus_Parken/index,method=main.html

if the village is only 3km from Solden, maybe a taxi would be fairly cheap between 5 of you Confused

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 14-08-07 16:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, we're out there the last weekend of Jan, so yes, would be good to hear about your trip when you get back. You're spot on about the bus!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
masmith, Laughing you're going at a quieter time, so maybe the buses wouldn't be so packed as during peak time.

So, what made you choose Solden, there are hardly any UK TOs that go there and it hardly gets mentioned on here ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking for somewhere that will satisfy my mates high demands :

- plenty of skiing
- good snow reliabilty
- fast efficient lift system
- caters for most levels of skier/boarder but mainly intermediate

Large choice of resorts that meet above criteria, but then add in:

- lively and 'entertaining' apres ski on a par with St Anton / Ischgl

... and the choice narrows down considerably.

Last year we did St Anton and Ischgl, both of which we'd go back to in a flash, but Solden has been on the hit list for a number of years so why not give it a try this time. Would also like to get there before it gets 'too' well known !

Still not ruling out St Anton or Ischgl as possibilities though, all depends on where we can get suitable accommmodation and the only option so far is in Zwieselstein, hence this thread. Certainly Solden is the least convenient to get to (from Zurich) but not massively so.

To date it's either Zwieselstein or leave it until much nearer the time and hope we can get somewhere better located in one of the three resorts. Still making our minds up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith, Same reasons as us, but why Zurich, have you booked your flights already ?

We have yet to do SA and Ischgl, but they are definitely at the top of our list Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only been to Solden once but would say it doesn't come close to Ischgl or St Anton for atmosphere. I've heard there is supposed to be a big apres scene but we couldn't find it so I suspect it might be a night clubby thing rather than dancing in your ski boots. There were a few ok bars around but nothing amazing and they are all strung out along a busy main road.

Ski wise it's more like a French than Austrian resort ... ie: high, bleak, cold & windswept (not that I have any predjudices !!).

I don't know about the well known bit either ... there were far more Brits there (5 years ago) than you get in Ischgl even now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RichA, Ooh I do hope you are wrong, I don't particularly want nightclubs, though my kids probably wouldn't mind, but I really do want the cheesy, dancing on tables, typical lively Austrian apres Confused Not overly keen on bleak resorts either, but I guess with a glacier you have to expect that. Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zwieselstein , its up valley Obergurgl direction not far out of Solden .

During day ski buses run frequently.

Post bus doestn run very late.

Night time its a walk or Taxis.

As for Solden itself. Well, the town is basically one long street. Over the last 10yrs the whole area has been destroyed by commercial tourism (ask any Austrian), not very pretty. Very popular with young Dutch & Germans. Plenty of nightclubs , stripjoints, bars etc.

The towns down valley are much nicer & have kept the re Austrian character.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
masmith, There must be some "Apres ski" as I have had the misfortune to drive through there 4 times on the way to Obergurgl between 5 and 6pm. The main street was littered with youths who seemed to be having difficulty controling their speed and direction. rolling eyes Several of whom seemed to want to sacrifice themselves in front of my car Shocked Have fun.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy