Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing ski pole baskets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried replacing the baskets on ski poles?

I'd like to replace the small racing baskets on a pair of my ski poles with some larger powder baskets.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks. wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get new baskets.
Pull old ones off.
Stick new ones on.

Or was it a trick question?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As I couldn't find a way of unscrewing the old baskets I was unsure of how to proceed without damaging them.

Sorry for the dim question!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BrightonSki, It's really quite easy. You may find that the old ones won't come off that easily - but they will in the end. To install the new ones, all you need is some metal tube and a hammer - use the tube as a drift - couple of taps with the hammer and you're done. snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BrightonSki, I have cut them off before now in resort using the saw bit of a multitool. Unless you plan to refit the small baskets (and baskets are really cheap in a resort) what's to lose? You can also get the new baskets on with a bit of pressure and something hard to push against, but Ski's solution is more elegant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The key is to get the basket warm enough you can pull it off. Hair dryer probably a good idea. Out of frustration with trying to do it myself I took them to ski shop where they were going to get a hot air gun on them but I had to leave them with them overnight. Back to hotel, use hairdryer and saved myself some cash.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
The key is to get the basket warm enough you can pull it off. Hair dryer probably a good idea. Out of frustration with trying to do it myself I took them to ski shop where they were going to get a hot air gun on them but I had to leave them with them overnight. Back to hotel, use hairdryer and saved myself some cash.

Spot on. Heat is needed to break the adhesive bond. Caution though as there are some screw on baskets out there. To be safe & avoid damaging the pole (especially carbon poles as even when warm thay can require a good smack) I the cut the small ones of my Scott carbon poles, cleaned up the spigot & then glued on the powder baskets with Araldite 2011 which is waterproof & flexible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fantastic, thank you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Black Diamonds are screw on..and a very tight fit........ but I'd cut them off and heat treat them on if the normal type...or get the shop to do it as not all baskets are compatible with all poles...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
See Largezookeepers tips on replacing handles on the 'shortening your pole' thread but don't be caught out - remember the basket is at the other end of your pole. So just apply the same technique to the other end.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had powder baskets put on my poles. I think it depends on the type of pole as to whether you can do it or not. My poles are made by Atomic (probably made for them by Leki). I bought the baskets from a hill-walking shop.

I recommend using brute force or even better - get a nice ski shop to do it for you. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my Lekis have screw on baskets so brute force not the right deal, S&R have baskets
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My Rossi graphite poles have non replaceable baskets - so I just widened the holes on some powder baskets and stuck them on top of the original ones. They have stayed firm and if I ever lose one then I have the fixed basket as back up.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy