Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy or La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am organising a weekend break Thurs20- Mon24 march 2008 and am considering both these resorts as I have already booked the Flights to Chambery and reckon 1.5hrs to St Foy and 2 hrs to La Ros??
I know many snowheads champion both resorts and wondered what the general consensus was?We are all confident skiiers but value convenience above all else so I am leaning towards St foy at the moment.
The only draw back is finding somewhere willing to accept a weekend booking for 2+2.Any Ideas welcomed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that not Easter weekend? Good luck with finding places that won't want to cash in with full week rentals.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hedley, We stayed at Chalet No.1 in St.Foy, really nice chalet, good food, but you do have to drive to the lifts, but as it's on the La Rosiere side of St.Foy skiing there is also an easy option.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hedley, I'm sorry but I can't see what's convenient about Ste Foy, it's also beyond La Rosiere so it'll take you a little longer to get there. I doubt whether you'll find any rooms for that weekend in either resort but you could try the Hotel Belevedere on the RN 90 which is convenient for both La Ros and Ste Foy or Auberge du Val Joli in Villard-Dessus and if that fails La Petite Auberge in Bourg St Maurice is usually able to accomodate odd nights. If you go www.larosiere.net you'll find details of both hotels, there used to be an auberge in Ste Foy but I'm not sure if it's still open.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cant see why anyone but those who only want off piste would go to Ste Foy. I know many places in La Rosiere are full already for w/c 22nd.
The drive up to La Rosiere is a PITA, Why not stay in Bourg St Maurice and have a day in Les Arcs and the 2 you mention. Dont know how accessbile Ste Foy is but the other 2 are pretty handy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hedley, ..... and now for something completely different .... Toofy Grin

If you are having difficulty finding accommodation for these dates, then do try Auberge Montagne run by Sue & Andy Mac. This is really special & I am sure you would not be disappointed. They run two of their own mini-busses to any resort you want to go on the day, giving you the choice of Ste Foy, La Rosiere, Paradiski, or Espace Killy - tour the Tarentaise for your long weekend Very Happy I think they even pick-up from Geneva. Some snowHeads & Eagles stayed there last season & I met them each morning from my own Dacha Toofy Grin One or two might add to this......

...or you can try Hotel Le Monal in the old village of Ste Foy. This will be a unique experience believe me .... ! Their cafe is something to behold for breakfast at about 7am in the morning. I often eat there early, to meet up with a guide or group for the day. There are some characters in this place - many somewhat detached from reality .... Toofy Grin Great jazz and music sessions in the evening. And a heli-taxi a few fields up the road - the beginning of the heli-skiing trips over the border. Really great people own this place - refreshing in a very commercial world . Superb restaurant as well as the 'Great Sage' can testify to ....

..... given that you will only have a few days, you might really enjoy these places, choose your own pace, but cram a lot in.

Good luck..... snowHead

N.B. by the "great sage" rolling eyes horrid pic taken after 2 hours snowploughing down a frozen tank track. Not fair.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed at the Auberge Montagne and eaten at Le Monal, and would definitely recommend both! I really liked it there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ste Foy is pretty dead at night unless all you want is a nice meal (2 v good restaurants in the resort more down the hill) and a couple of quiet beers, its easier to get to than La Rosiere though. Ste Foy is further but its only 4Km off the main road whereas La Ros is a good 30 mins up the hill from Bourg.

Unless you get lucky with the snow and are after steep and deep you'll be bored with the pistes in Ste Foy in a day but its a good position to do a day in Les Arcs (15 mins to Villaroger) or Tignes/Val D'Isere (20 mins) as well as La Rosiere (30 mins). La Rosiere has plenty of pistes (with La Thuile) to last you for a four day weekend if you don't mind taking a few different lines down the same piste but its a lot more grief to visit the other resorts because you have to drive down the hill.

Either way you won't be disappointed, its a simple decision:

- if you want nightlife go for La Ros
- if nightlife isn't massively important and you're happy to drive a bit to different resorts go for Ste Foy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you struggle for accomodation in the other two try Vallandry, there's not a lot in the way of nightlife but you're smack bang in the middle of Paradiski.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
levart, three slurred words: 'le Mont Blanc'

BernardC, Auberge Montagne seems spot on, stayed in one of their chalets in Ste Foy but visited the main Auberge which will one day tempt me back, good operation run by them
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...or you can try Hotel Le Monal in the old village of Ste Foy. This will be a unique experience believe me .... !

As far as I'm concerned Le Monal is my favourite by far in an area that has more than its fair share of excellent restaurants. Chez Marie @ Le Miroir is also worth a mention.

Ste Foy is also far more central to travel to other resorts in the area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies folks, St Foy would still be my first choice as I am not that bothered by Nightlife just a nice meal and a couple of beers will do me.levart, I have considered Peisey Vallandry as well, as it links up with a huge ski area ,yet still has a 'small village feel' to it, but basically I would consider anywhere with reasonable height and 50+km of pistes within driving distance of Chambery, but as yet have had no luck with weekend accomadation. I must admit the uniqueness of the Auberge and the Hotel Monal down the hill would appeal, but as i am sure any one who skis 'en famille' will appreciate,sometimes you just cant beat staying on the mountain.I will have look at their websites and enquire about availability.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hedley - if you're more worried about being on the mountain than nightlife you could also consider one of the less revolting La Plagne or Les Arcs resorts. Arc 1950 is the nicest but you'll probably struggle that weekend, you could also look at Plagne Soleil or Belle Plagne. Plagne Soleil in particular has local pistes which are ideal for families.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy