Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheap car hire from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

If you have lots of tesco clubcard vouchers going spare - you can get a deal through Avis which is really cheap - ie £1 of vochers = £4 of hire. Unfortunately only in Europe.

Just had a look at this as we have Tesco vouchers we'd like to use at 4x their value (ie before it goes down to 3x their value in Dec). 8 days-worth of the cheapest car (Polo etc) with Avis out of Geneva Airport in early January comes in at an eye watering £333 Shocked.

Er, I think I'll use my vouchers elsewhere and stick with the Hol Autos discount code.... wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
mountainaddict, Avis were taken out of the clubcard deals programme a couple of years ago.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I tend to go through to the French side (Ferney Voltaire) and fill up there. Coming from the Chamonix side, take the motorway exit immediately after the airport one (having gone under the big palexpo building), and follow signs for FV which take you through a tunnel under the runway. Garage on right hand side soon after the border (and notice the fairly unobtrusive sign to the French sector of the airport). I find the Geneva side/Swiss ones a bit of a hassle, and I use a French credit card to avoid charges.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This thread may be useful

How to return your Hire car at Geneva airport (SWISS SIDE) http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48017&highlight=geneva
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just checked out Sixti as seemed like good advice. Turns out not to be really as they dont have a Swiss operation.Oh well...Ian
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For cheap petrol we always go to the Tamoil station next to the big storage tanks here:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=46.2149,6.1042&t=h&z=20

From the A1, take the exit (J4?) signed to Vernier just after the last tunnel. Turn right onto Route de Vernier and then left at the traffic lights after about 500m. They take Euros or CHF and are much cheaper than in France - IIRC, 1.12 vs around 1.20 to 1.40. Two of the four pumps are diesel only for trucks. There is also a BP station and a Coop very nearby.

Also try this thread:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=49646
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lightningdan wrote:
Ian Kenvyn wrote:
Your said "On another note, does anyone know an easy to find petrol station near the airport with easy directions (have got away with brimming the tank about 30miles out on the motorway, but got stung last time as it was a petrol car and it used too much fuel)?"

Coming in on the Swiss side there is an AGIP fuel station just before you turn into the car park to drop-off the hire car; look out just before you take the airport exit and you can see it up on the right, follow the usual route and keep a sharp eye out because it is less clear when you are close to the turn. Its one of those 24 hour jobs with a credit-card doofha - takes my mastercard no prob. Car goes back brim-full and no fuel charge (which can be painful).

BTW Agree that Holiday Autos usually good value - there is a 10% discount if you are SCGB and I found further discount with them via EuroFleetHire. Also seems worth checking with Expedia because at times they are the cheapest around. All seems like a very variable pricing policy. Madeye-Smiley

Be careful at the AGIP, the fully automated machine allowed some behind us to fill up( using our creditcard details), even though we had completed the transaction and had a receipt.

Thanks for that tip. Will be sure that the transaction is closed when I go through in December. 39 days till I get the skis on again - just about enough to get me through November Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Food counter there also? Spam fritters?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wrongsideof30, drive through the airport in a lane of your choice (Kiss&Fly, Arrivals car-park, the coach lane on arrivals level, doesn't matter). Exiting the airport you'll have the motorway down to your left and the World Trade Centre on your right, followed by the lower entrance to P51. Keep right and drive 3/4 of the way around the P51 building, past it's upper entrance, right again which takes you over the motorway. 300yds further on (direction Geneve) there are a bunch of petrol stations all together (2 on each side iirc). Pick one, fill up and head back the way you came, bear right before the m'way bridge following signs to the airport.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

On another note, does anyone know an easy to find petrol station near the airport with easy directions (have got away with brimming the tank about 30miles out on the motorway, but got stung last time as it was a petrol car and it used too much fuel)

If going to the French side, after you pass under the motorway ignore the left turn to the airport and there is a filling station 100m along on the right. After filling up do a U turn at the roundabout then turn into the airport road. At the Swiss side there is a filling station buried somewhere near the return car park. You just sort of stumble across it. I have never seen an attendant there but the self service instructions are fairly easy to work out.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Try one called Firefly - the budget part of Hertz I think .....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The easiest way to get started is to go to the GVA website - this drops you onto the '.ch' versions of their websites, which sometime have offers that don't appear if you go to their '.com' landing page:

http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-72/

(For firefly and National, try their .ch site for the same reason)

Like most airports, Geneva is something of a cartel - there's little alternative to the airport desks unless you're prepared to take the bus into Geneva. Even if you're using a discount website, the cars themselves have to come from one of the main providers in the end. I suspect that a lot of discount sites don't include what is standard from the main site (winter tyres, chains, vignette etc.).

GVA also does a reasonably useful app that's worth downloading before you go (mainly of use for your return flight).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AutoEurope are good, they will source the best deal from all the car rental companies.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Argus car hire have always been the cheapest for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy