Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Skins and Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
advice needed!!

I am looking to buy new ski's. Confident on most red runs but cautious so would prefer a 'forgiving ski.

I'm looking at Salomon Streetracer 8, suitable or not???

The other bit of advice is about the snow skins (Seen at Snow and Rock)which are now appearing (they may be old news but we have just heard about them)

My wife had a cancer op in the spring which has resulted in one leg being prone to swelling and fluid retention . We have been told that skiing is ok but to find a way of maintaining an even pressure over the thigh, and also to keep it warm!!! and we thought snow skins might do the trick. Has anyone experience of them??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brian, sorry but I'm a bit confused. Skins are used to help ski-tourers climb up-hill, they are glued to the bottom of their skis when they ascend up-hill sections.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi david,
Not 'ski skins 'but 'SnowSkins' shown at www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/accessories/thermals/products/ECGAD.htm

They are a form of thermal which help control the effect of Lactic acid in the muscles., but also sound good for controlling swelling .

They are new but I was hoping someone might know about them..

Thanks for your post
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
God don't you just love it when a company invents a new product then calls it something similar to a completely different product Confused

Seriously though I hope you and your wife have some luck with this
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks DG

I know you are a fan of Wengen. We are going over Christmas ,then end of Feb. Will you be around then?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Brian T, Assuming I'm going to get there this year (which is still undecided) I'll probably be out there from very late Jan till the middle of Feb or there abouts Little Angel
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If the 'snow skins' do what they claim then I would have thought that increasing the circulation at the surface could cause more heat to be lost and ultimately lead to a drop in core temperature - not recommended.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The effect of compression underwear in endurance activity has been written about quite extensively, if you punch: compression muscle vibration into Google you'll find quite a few products claiming effectiveness on the same principle, including:
USA marketing
And a few articles:
standing

The only real question is whether the compression garment is also warm. Lycra, in say waterpolo thickness, has a disturbingly clammy feel when used for snowsports.

You may wish to price running tights with fuzzy inside linings; that is what I use (Helly Hansen). The critical bit here is to make sure of a fair amount of compression- in my case that means one nominal waist size smaller.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Comprex,
I expect, as with all these things, it comes down to trying it to see if it works.

This will be the first skiing holiday since my wife's operation, so we are keen to try anything that may alleviate the symptoms.

Thanks again

Bye the way how do I puit a web link into a message but just show one word as the hyperlink - as in 'standing'
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brian T, try this format:
{url=webaddress}displaytext{/url} (with square [] brackets instead, of course).

I would look for thin, stretchy and compressive socks as well. Mine have 25% stretch nylon and 17% spandex.

Best of luck with the recovery!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy