Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need a GB sticker for my car?

Poster: A snowHead
Do I need to get a GB sticker on my car while i'm in Austria in a few weeks time? The car has the standard GB and European flag on the side of the number plate - is that enough?

Cheers
Kersh
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you have it on the number plate, then that's sufficient! If you need any more info on having your car in Austria, let me know as I've taken mine over a lot.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kersh, UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a GB sticker when driving in European Union countries. But you do need (as you probably know) a warnign triangle, a reflective jacket or waistcoat, first aid kit, yuor registration doc and insurance. I think there is also some sort of motorway permt you need to buy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kersh, If you're driving through Switzerland on your way you'll need a Vignette. They are about 40 euro and you can buy them in most service stations.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're using the motorway in Austria, you also need a Vignette, or 'Pickel'. You can buy one that is valid for 10 days and it's about 9 euro, which is great if you're just doing a short trip. If you're going to Gastein, you'll almost certainly be on the motorway for some of the journey.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dingdong wrote:
Kersh, If you're driving through Switzerland on your way you'll need a Vignette. They are about 40 euro and you can buy them in most service stations.

We bought ours online via the Swiss Tourist Board site, ordered and paid for at 10.00 pm Monday evening, arrived in post Wednesday morning! Swiss efficiency! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kersh, Make sure you keep your headlights turned on while you are in Austria too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the info guys. I suspected I would be ok.

Yeah off to Gastein for 4 weeks next Fri and I can't wait. I've driven in Austria before but only in hire cars so their all kitted out. I've still needed a Vignette though. I've got all the breakdown cover, warning triangle, reflective jacket, etc. etc. so no worries there.

Thanks again - i've just got to work out how i'm gonna get all this stuff in the car now!!! Shocked

Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
Kersh, Make sure you keep your headlights turned on while you are in Austria too.

rjs, yeah, I noticed that last time I was there. I think it's a good idea to be honest.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
An EU reg. plate with the flag and country letters is valid anywhere in EU without a separate sticker.
For the vignettes, I buy mine at the local ADAC shop, but all motorway services here in Germany (or at least those close to border) sell them. I would guess that the AA shops in UK do too?
AA website certainly has the info for the legally required accessories too (triangle, firstaid kit, reflective jacket etc.) NB the jacket has to be in the car and accessible to driver (NOT in the boot!). All things worth having anyway, especially when driving thru about 4 countries each with different requirements, and all are available as a kit from Halfrauds or motorway services.

PS when I drive back to germany via dover ferry terminal in my LHD German reg'd car, why do they always slip an advertising thing under the wiper telling me that I need headlight adjusters, and all the aforementioned accessories to drive on the continent?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy wrote:
Halfrauds

I like it. Laughing

cheers for the advice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy, Nobody but nobody sells headlight adjusters for LHD in Europe (for cars coming to the UK), curious it is just Brits who comply, or is it yet another rule just for Brits? Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dypcdiver, I've seen them in french motorway service stations and at the docks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
.......but does anyone know how to make the damn things stick????
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, Ok, but did you check to see if they were for LHD or RHD? Smile wink
snow report
I didn't know you had to have the safety jacket for France. I had better get one. Bev says she has some down at the horse farm but they have "Pass wide and slow" written on them. I think they can be easily modified for me by the insertion of a colon between pass and wide.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, Laughing
snow report
The following may be of use... (Beware - it's a Word doc. Not sure why they couldn't make it pdf?)

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/compulsory_equipment.html

or for each country individually (probably including all the new EU countries not in the above doc), select from the drop-down list here...

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/countrybycountry.html
ski holidays
andy wrote:
The following may be of use... (Beware - it's a Word doc. Not sure why they couldn't make it pdf?)

Shocked what will happen?
latest report
holidayloverxx, Don't be too alarmed! As far as i know, the PDF keeps the same format and layout whatever, whereas a Word document will recreate itself on your computer using your own fonts, margins etc and thus could spray bits of itself everwhere. This could well all be wrong BTW.

I will say that PDFs seem to take ages to load, and fussy old Adobe always want to inflict updates on me etc.

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, Yep - given a choice i always click on the word doc.
latest report
Austria
You also need a roadside reflective jacket for every passenger travelling in the car & if you have to pull over on the autobahn you must put the jacket on before you get out of the car.
ski holidays
If you find Adobe slow, then get Foxit instead: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
latest report
Hi guys

I can see you guys travel a lot...

I need to buy beam deflectors for my car to travel to europe, can someone recommend a brand, i know a guy who got them from Halfords supposed to be re usable and he spent a day trying to remove the excess glue and he could not use them anymore as all the glue's gone from the stickers.

Anyone out there that uses them time and time again that can tell me where did u got them from?

Cheers

Myna
snow report
If your route goes through France, you'll need an Alco-meter thingy soon, so depending on dates, you should probably buy it in Halfords/AA Shop etc when you're buying the rest of the gear.
latest report
Annie, drive with your headlights on until the glass is warm (for 10 minutes or so!) and then stick them on. Mine have been on for over three years now and I think would take off the glass if I tried to get them off.
snow report
Quote:

I need to buy beam deflectors

= Black Duct tape rolling eyes
latest report
You can reuse the adaptors by applying some double sided carpet tape.

I don't usually bother with them, I carry some along with a GB magnetic plate and if I were to get stopped I'd just fit them. I set the lights to their lowest setting and don't think I've ever been flashed.

Masking tape is a good alternative too, as mentioned above.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you buy a Swiss vignette and only plan to travel once to Swifzerland in a year then we Sellotape the vignette to the windscreen rather than peel off the backing strip and then sell it on eBay afterwards as a new one to recoup part of the 40chf
snow report
Frosty, I just don't even bother on a bike. Keep riding back and forth between Swiss and Italian mountain passes and never had a problem. Nowhere to stick it on mine with no fairing Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy