Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

US and Canadian skiers get Spidey-suits

Poster: A snowHead
Spyder impact resistant ski suits
Skiers on the US and Canadian teams will be protected by suits that include a new material which hardens momentarily on impact. Clothing manufacturer, Spyder have included the new material, known as 'd3o' into suits for racers removing the need to wear bulky arm and leg guards to protect themselves from slalom poles...

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8721&feedId=online-news_rss20
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountain mad, The principle has been around for years, IIR you can mix a bowl of custard powder and water to a thick batter consistency and then try to punch it to achieve the same effect. d3o have created a way of holding the fluid stable in a matrix. I've seen some research on personal armour that is moving in this direction but where the containment matrix itself just needs a simple liquid to activate the bullet (etc.) resistance.

What's a bit disappointing is that it's going to be premium product and premium price for a long time before us plebs will enjoy the benefit. It will make our sport safer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque, The suits are not that expensive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apparently there is a company doing a beeny hat using a similar material & concept.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
david@mediacopy, that would be POD. Make what look like awesomely nice race gloves and helmets. Only white orange and black though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, That sounds familiar Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch,
Quote:

that would be POD

I think you might mean POC Puzzled
D3O Armour is seiously good stuff, I saw the Spyder gear last year. It's available in armoured underwear too, not just race suits.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just have to find a way of licensing it so it doesn't carry the fashion stigma of the Spyder brand wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'd need a super flat stomach to get away with one of those suits. And don't get a purple one if you are the least bit bulgy; you'd look like a haemorrhoid.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It's available in armoured underwear too

The visions that statement creates Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
don't get a purple one if you are the least bit bulgy; you'd look like a haemorrhoid.

Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I never trust anyone who actually knows how to spell haemorrhoid . . . let alone what one looks like . . . you could have said we'd look like a blackcurrant. Confused
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, errr, yes, I think you might be write
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, saw that on the gadget show a few months ago. Anyone got a link to buy one?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i've tried prototype sailing knee pads made from d3o, the material allowed them to be very light and non bulky but they still offered good protection
snow report
David Murdoch, wrote
Quote:

errr, yes, I think you might be write

would you trust anyone who can't spell "right"? Masque, a blackcurrant is neat and pretty...
ski holidays
Quote:

What's a bit disappointing is that it's going to be premium product and premium price for a long time before us plebs will enjoy the benefit. It will make our sport safer.

Schoffel alpready have a jacket(it was green lat year) that already has this technology integrated aound the shoulder and elbow parts of the jacket
latest report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28745 Laughing Cool
snow report
Quote:

Schoffel alpready have a jacket(it was green lat year) that already has this technology integrated aound the shoulder and elbow parts of the jacket

I checked today in my local ski store and it was already available in the schoffel protector jkt last season.

I asked and it's quite amazing. The guy had some D3O produduct in the form of putty, he threw it against the floor and it bouced like a bouncy ball.

I caught it on the rebound and it was immediately back in it's putty form,Amazing!!!!
snow conditions
Oh, i forgot to add, it did seem to add£100 tothe price tag!
snow conditions
You mean there's a use for colloid science!
latest report
Big feature on Chris Evans R2 show last night about d3o armour. The guy must have plugged Spyder gear about 5 times. Very Happy I can't see why it's getting so much publicity now, when I saw it about 2 years ago. Puzzled
I think Kitty & I will be getting some next year, especially if we go to Tignes again, Glacial ice is a bit hard if you fall.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
I think Kitty & I will be getting some next year, especially if we go to Tignes again, Glacial ice is a bit hard if you fall.

The trick is to break your fall by slamming into a slalom gate, then the ice doesn't hurt so much Embarassed
ski holidays
I think that my new Kjus jacket has D3O in the shoulders and elbows.
ski holidays
2009 Spyder gloves will have d3o.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy