Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Europe - American Thanksgiving

Poster: A snowHead
Are there any European ski resorts that are open with consistantly good skiing in late November?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NO
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
are there any ski resorts anywhere with consistently good skiing in late november???
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
altajoe, Tignes? Done that a few times, mixed results but consistently OK...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
altajoe, Zermatt? Hinterux?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alaska?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altajoe, I think you will struggle unless you go to a resort that has groomed glaciers to ski on... Tignes is one and LDA another and AUstria has a few Hinterux for instance.

I am not sure that Val Thoren (the highest resort in Europe, but doesnt have a groomed glacier) is even open in Late November. Meribel the next valley over opens for business on the first week of december.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
Alaska?

Not exactly in Europe when last spotted.... Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
are there any ski resorts anywhere with consistently good skiing in late november???

In the US its good, I get out there most years for Thanksgiving.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eng_ch wrote:
abc wrote:
Alaska?

It was more in response to skimottaret's question... "anywhere"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, interesting, are there any resorts open in Alaska that time of year or is it backcountry stuff?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, stanton, i wasnt trying to be flippant with my remark but was curious as to where you go for solid late November skiing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OP here. Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to Tignes at the same time as US Thanksgiving last year and skiing was OK. Not extensive but probably as good and reliable as it gets in Europe late November. Saas Fee or Zermatt would be other options
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
abc, interesting, are there any resorts open in Alaska that time of year or is it backcountry stuff?

I would assume Aleaska would be open in November.

Majority of US resort will open the week of (American) Thanksgiving, which is late November.

Whether they have good snow or not in the lower 48 is a different matter. On an average to good years, all of the Pacific & Rockie regions will have some (or a lot of) natural snow to ski on. On a poor year, you'll be skiing rocks & slushes. Alaska being further north might have a better chance than others.
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
abc, stanton, i wasnt trying to be flippant with my remark but was curious as to where you go for solid late November skiing

I am being serious,thats why I go out there end of 3/4th week November (or earlier if snow dumps). No crowds, much cheaper lifts,hotels (although most places are only open 50%)
snow report
stanton wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

In the US its good, I get out there most years for Thanksgiving.

And most of Holland similarly giving thanks I would imagine wink Toofy Grin
snow report
eng_ch wrote:
abc wrote:
Alaska?

Aren't the Aleutians on the Russian continental shelf now?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, the real reason behind the devalued dollar.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
abc wrote:
Alaska?

It was more in response to skimottaret's question... "anywhere"

Sorry, couldn't resist!
snow conditions
comprex wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
abc wrote:
Alaska?

Dunno. Plate tectonics not my forte Wink
snow conditions
Mine neither, witness the waistline. Sad
snow conditions
Quote:

"Now"? Where was it before then? And when did it got moved? Wink
snow report
No one likes Hemsedal?
latest report
comprex wrote:
No one likes Hemsedal?

There was very little snow in Norway early last season. Races were being cancelled even over New Year.
snow conditions
stanton, so where do you go?

Just curious...I know the East coast tries to open for turkey weekend but that's generally man made. So hardly worth the trip unless you're going discount shopping for Polo/Hilfiger. I was lucky enough to get some great pow in WY the week before thanksgiving a few years ago - but was under the impression that the rest of the country doesn't kick off until around when high Europe does?
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
stanton, so where do you go?

Just curious...I know the East coast tries to open for turkey weekend but that's generally man made. So hardly worth the trip unless you're going discount shopping for Polo/Hilfiger. I was lucky enough to get some great pow in WY the week before thanksgiving a few years ago - but was under the impression that the rest of the country doesn't kick off until around when high Europe does?

Colorado for early season. Aspen or Telluride. However, all the reosrts up in high country are normally open.
East coast is all manmade & a waste of time. If your on the Plane you may as well go all the way.

Turkey night is very quiet everywhere, closed mostly as its family time but you grab a free turkey dinner down the salvation army Very Happy
latest report
I had a fantastic week in Whistler one year the week after thanksgiving so great fresh snow is possible.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A good number of the Colorado, Washington & Utah resorts in the US and the Alberta resorts in Canada are open for Thanksgiving, and in the past 5 years most have offered deep bases and powder.

I skied Mt Baker, Washington during opening week of the 2005/06 season (8 & 11 November) and they already had a 2.5m base and I skied knee deep on both days.

Then flew down to Keystone, Colorado for Thanksgiving weekend where they had less base - 1m - but the same surface conditions.

Also had the same at the Salt Lake City resorts in Utah; Big Mountain, Montana; and Lake Louise & Sunshine, Alberta.

My current abode - Niseko area, Hokkaido, Japan - has an excellent record for coverage and powder at this time of the season.

I went to Tignes and Val d'Isere at this time last winter before heading out to Japan and it was bloody rubbish.

If you need to book far in advance, then US, Canada or Japan.

If you can leave it until the last minute, then the world is your oyster.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 10-08-07 1:42; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Mike Pow, stanton, Doh, what am I thinking? Something is failing, my mind maybe if I ever had one. I had two excellent days in Park City & Alta around my wee WY trip. Not sure why I didn't consider CO but maybe it was a logistics rather than snow problem.
latest report
Maybe brain freeze from all the face shots Laughing
snow conditions
Mike Pow, How did you know I was visiting Amsterdam?
latest report
Simple to remember (for those who knows when the heck is American Thanksgiving, that is): most US and Canadian resorts will try very hard to open on or before Thanksgiving day, and close on or AFTER Easter.

In the east coast, it means mostly man-made. In the Rockies and Pacific coast, often times there's enough natural snow to actually have fun.
snow conditions
abc, I'd heard the US became markedly quieter after St Paddy's day?
ski holidays
When exactly is St Paddy's day?
snow conditions
altajoe, We don't open until 1st December this year. You can guarantee to be able to ski, and you might be able to ski the whole way down, but can't guarantee that. OTOH I did ski down to the Cretes the last 2 years and the vertical (officially) open last year on the opening day was 1000m which is probably more than you get in most US resorts anyway. Hope this helps. In Europe you can ski on closed runs BTW.
ski holidays
Well, based on what I reading and actually assumed, Thanksgiving is too early for Europe. Crying or Very sad

Thanks for the input.
snow report
altajoe, depends how close to Thanksgiving you need to make your plans. Keep ckecking the snow conditions and opening dates for places like Zermatt. I can say for certain that glacier areas like Hintertux, Kaprun, Soelden, Tignes, Saas Fee etc will be in full swing with (probably) very good conditions and no people. Just depends on how extensive you want your skiing to be. If you hail from Alta, places like Hintertux will offer similar vertical.
ski holidays
My understanding is that Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November. So typically 24 -29 November.

St Patrick's day in March 17th (every year wink )
snow conditions
In that case, yes, skiing starts to wind down after St. Patrick's Day.

Resorts will stay open, and often have plenty of snow. But skiers tend to start making summer plans. So, empty pistes.

Although judging from what I saw in mid-March at Wengen, Europeans seem to do the same also. I spend the whole week standing in life line of 1!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy