Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three valleys advice

Poster: A snowHead
Righty ho,

As many of you will be aware from my previous posts, I’m looking to get my usual group of boarding buddies out to The Three Valleys.

We’ve considered Val Thorens as the resorts to go for and were pretty set on VT, simply because it’s high up, more snowsure and it apparently has a good ‘vibe’. However, looking at last year’s Neilson brochure I’ve noticed that there are more places to stay in TTV – Courcheval, Meribel, La Tania, Les Menuires – which throws up new questions.

We’re looking at 10 days to give a bit of downtime halfway through and to make sure we can really explore the whole TTV area.

The main criteria for the trip is this:

Variety of nightlife
We aren’t bothered about raving it up every night until 3am but would like a few pubs to go to at the least to break things up.

Good Access
I know when I’ve been to La Plagne that the lower resorts required a fair bit of travelling on chairlifts to get up to the high points so what’s the lift network like? Will somewhere like Les Menuires that’s lower down mean we’ll be on lifts more than we’re skiing, as opposed to staying higher up where we’ll be closer to the top? Basically, if we stay at a lower altitude will we be forced to go UP rather than boarding the surrounding area and lower down?

Cheap Accommodation
I’ve heard Courcheval is the most expensive of the TV resorts – is this true? We aren’t bothered about where we stay but would like to progress from the rabbit hutch-like apartments you get for a few hundred euros in most resorts and maybe stay in somewhere with a bit more room. Which is the best value for better quality accommodation?

Slope-wise we know there’s a massive variety of runs in TTV so we can all enjoy ourselves. There will be a few beginners, a few beginners/intermediates and a few glory hunters (like myself) who think we can do anything, which is why the area sounds so good.

We’ll most probably be doing it DIY (driving from Grenoble) but has anyone gone on the train and if so, did it work out cheaper, was it worth sitting on a train for that long and did it add anything to the DIY aspect of the hol?

I’m sure I’ve forgotten to ask relevant questions but for now, if you can help out that’ll be cool.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Specialman, For the full lowdown on La Tania visit www.latania.co.uk
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a couple of years since I was last in Val Thorens, but will add my tuppence worth....

1. It ain't pretty, and nightlife was limited. Good vibe, eh? Not from what we saw...(IMHO)
2. Staying further down the valleys (Les Menuires, La Tania or wherever) yes, you will spend more time on a lift, naturally.....
3. Again, IMHO, there was plenty of ropey rabbit hutch accomodation (well, it is France after all... wink )
4. Snowsure? On what grounds? Any number of high altitude resorts can match it's snow record, and may also meet your other requirements....
5. What was the question again?

Have you also considered LDA, La Rosiere or Resort X ? snowHead snowHead

Edited to say that this is all strictly my own personal opinion, and that I am not a troll looking for a bite from anybody who chooses to name their first born son after any particular off piste itinerary they once overheard some bloke talking about on the lift....or any employees of the VT tourist board wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I liked VT best of the 3V resorts. CVL is overpriced, overhyped and full of irritating Russians waving guns and wads of cash. Meribel is infested with p!ssed British children, and Menuires is dead as a doornail. La Tania and Le Praz are pleasant enough, but low down, so you do spend a lot of time on uplift.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
10 days may be tricky as it neccessitates getting accommodation for part of a week, where the vast majority is rented on a weekly basis. Yes, there are hotels available on a night by night basis but these are a rather more expensive option.
The sleeper train from Paris is a good option as it gets you there in time for the first lift and leaves well after the pistes are closed at the end of the week. This gives you 8 days' skiing for the standard 7 nights accommodation.
Moutiers Station is very close to The Three Valleys (20mins to La Tania, 30 mins to Meribel, 50 mins to VT) which beats the 3hr transfer from GVA/Grenoble in my book.

Yes, Courchevel 1850 is by far the most expensive spot in the domain. In itself, it is a very pleasant place to be/ski but it's not the best for 'striking out across the domain'. Val Thorens is about an hour away for the speedy but more like 2-3 hours for the cautious intermediate.

The most central location for exploring the area is Mottaret, above Meribel. Via a single lift, you can be on the best slopes of Courchevel before the people staying there can get there in the morning yet you're not too far from Val Thorens either. Les Menuires is just over the hill in the next valley. The drawback is that Mottaret doesn't have particularly nice skiing itself and the runs back into town are definitely at the steeper end of the blue spectrum. As a result, scared beginners at home-time side slip and snowplough them into a fairly tricky state for novices. There are bubbles though which can be ridden down from either side of the valley to avoid this end-of-day carnage. There are a few bars and restaurants although it's not exactly Aprestastic. But the mayhem of Meribel is just down the hill (4km?) and accessable by free bus.

Les Menuires isn't too bad a spot for exploring from. At 1800m, it's got the altitude. It's within one lift+descent of Val Thorens, Mottaret, Meribel or St Martin although whether the particular lift you want is accessable without first taking another depends on what part of town you're in.

The low-lying or peripheral villages would include: La Tania, Courchevel 1550 and 1650, St Martin de Belleville, Le Praz (sometimes called Courchevel 1300), Les Allues, Bride Les Bain. (In ascending order of remoteness)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin,
Quote:

The most central location for exploring the area is Mottaret

I got my head chewed off for suggesting this on another thread. I'm sure this won't happen to you! wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Courchevel 1850 is the top station in the 3 Vs. All the other Courchevels are cheap imitations.

ValTho is the next best resort. It has great slopeside accommodation and reasonable nightlife if you know where to look.

Les Menuires is acceptable, but it looks grim.

La Tania and Brides are attractive, but too low down.

Meribel is well positioned, but the hordes of pikey Brits make it intolerable.

I would pick ValTho. It is affordable. It is snowsure. One is on the piste in seconds. Stay at the higher end of the village, as this is where the nightlife is.

Take the overnight choochoo from London to Bourg St Maurice. It can be hard to sleep, but it is a pleasant ride on a cool piece of engineering.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
admin,
Quote:

The most central location for exploring the area is Mottaret

I got my head chewed off for suggesting this on another thread. I'm sure this won't happen to you! wink
Aw, who chewed your head off? That's naughty. Mottaret hardly suits everyone's tastes but there's little question that it's the most central spot in the 3v's if exploring the whole domain is the declared mission.

Quote:
Take the overnight choochoo from London to Bourg St Maurice. It can be hard to sleep, but it is a pleasant ride on a cool piece of engineering.
... but get off at 'Moutiers'.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin,
Quote:

who chewed your head off

Can't remember, just one of the usual head-chewers!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sticking my head above the parapet, I've never found anything wrong with C1650, but yes it is a bit out of the way at times, but you can easily get to the 4th Valley play around a bit and get back to the Bel Air to have a beer before kicking out time!

Having said that I do quite like VT for it's convenience and height - bars are better than some of the 3V resorts.

St Martin's nice to stay in but doesn't have much night life (good restaurants though)but is only 3 lifts to Courchevel, you could be there by 9:45 if you're prompt starters!

I found Motterat quite soleless the 1 time I stopped there.

Never stopped in LM proper but in Reberty 2000 which had good access but only 2 bars - wouldn't fancy LM proper.

Meribel - never stopped in for all the above mention reasons and slush in the afternoon.

Brilliant area - have fun!
snow report
 brian
brian
I concur with stevew C1650. The most French, nice mix of runs, tree skiing, etc. plus the ski area out there stays fairly quiet as most day trippers won't go that far.

The lift system in the 3Vs is top drawer. If you ski/board at a reasonable standard and pace it is absolutely no probs to ski any of it from anywhere. Imo though, Courchevel has the best skiing of the 3, although VT is great as well. Actually there's good stuff in the Meribel valley, it just suffers in comparison to the other 2, imo.

The other resorts:

La Tania - pleasant for a purpose built, good fast links to C1850 and Meribel but small, v limited nightlife.
C1850 - pricy.
C1550 - a bit quiet but worth considering
Meribel - completely occupied by Brits (and Aussie bar staff), ok if that's your bag I guess.
Mottaret - transit town, hence crowded pistes.
Les Menuires - yeuch
Val T - moonbase alpha, no trees for bad weather.
St Martin - attractive but tiny village, nice lunch spot.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman, have a look at my website for info on the Mottaret area......

I like it because...

Truly the centre of the 3V's and you can easily get to any point in a day. From 1550 or 1650 VT is a struggle to get to.
High up and only one cable car to the top of either valley. ( i have friends in 1650 and i easily beat them to the top of 1850)
Car free so the kids can wander within the centre resort.
Quiet and nice reasonably priced restraunts for lunch as you are not paying mountain prices.
30 minutes from Moutier train station (the first stop on the Eurostar direct service)
no hooray henrys and lots of nice french people.
great views

downsides
beginners coming back in can be tightly funnelled on the final main icy busy slopes
Only a few pubs with no real disco or late night spots (but you can get the bus down if you fancy that)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've stayed in Mottaret a few times - certainly easy to get anywhere. Easy enough to get back to for beginners by careful choice of routes and lifts.

Free bus to Meribel provides access to NightLife

Have also stayed in La Tania and IMO was easy to get from there to main skiing areas - 2 lifts, didn't hold us up at all. Alternatively free regular bus around to Courcheval
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3V is not my favourite area but for what its worth I think that the Belleville valley is the one to avoid if going early in the season. If the weather is bad there is no tree skiiing and you have to get over some high connections to get to the trees. If you need the height you can always get accross to it from the other valleys. I don't mind staying low as it is very rare that there is so little snow low down that you can't ski down so the lift up is not wasted even if you do spend the day at higher altitude. If the weather is bad you don't have to suffer it so much at lower altitudes.
If you want to hear any French spoken Meribel should be avoided, if home counties sur neige is your thing grab the opportunity it's one of the best. No grenouilles here. Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin wrote:

Quote:
... but get off at 'Moutiers'.

Yes, Moutiers, not BSM.
ski holidays
Specialman, La Tania has some of the better nightlife and I cant think of any areas of the 3v where I would choose to descend 1st thing rather than ascend. Choice 2 - C 1650.
ski holidays
T-bar wrote:

If you want to hear any French spoken Meribel should be avoided

Too right! I went into a bar there and asked for 'Un petit bier'. The girl behind the bar looked at me slightly confused and said, "You want a pretty beer?"
ski holidays
Quote:

"You want a pretty beer?"

She knew you then Toofy Grin wink
latest report
The Pub Ski Lodge is the night life in La Tania. The Feeling were the house band for 2 seasons there before they were famous (and before they were called the Feeling) Very Happy
Their set started with U2 Covers just before Happy hour ended, so good that you had to stay Toofy Grin
snow report
"Bring Your Sisters" is another La Tania band and voted best band by the seasonaires...[/url]
ski holidays
 brian
brian
boredsurfin, that's Pub Le Ski Lodge. Presumably emphasising their valuable contribution to French culture. rolling eyes

Seriously it's ok for a night or 2 but ...

... and the Feeling are about as interesting as Travis covering Dido numbers. Blander than a beige thing in a sea of muted grey.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
"Bring Your Sisters" is another La Tania band and voted best band by the seasonaires...[/url]

I'd second that.
We stayed in La Tania in Feb. Ski Lodge Pub is good with live music and Mutzig Old Lager on tap. Very Happy Links are easy, we skied to VT and was back by lunchtime.
Bus links to Meribel up to 18.30 & Courchevel up to about midnight..
latest report
Only stayed in the Courchevel valley but...
C1850 is an experience worth doing at some point if you want to live it up a bit. The general convenience is unbeatable but it's easy to miss the skiing at 1650. Good for people watching
C1650 has superb - and quiet - skiing and several good bars and restos. I like the vibe, it's quite small town/villagey. IME (prepared to be corrected) most of the ski in/ski out accommodation is self-catering; most of the catered accommodation requires a hike to lifts or bus stop
C1550 never stayed there but has one of our favourite restos anywhere. More family-oriented is my impression, couple of decent-ish bars
La Tania is our choice for next season because we wanted a reasonably-priced catered chalet that was ski in/ski out or near as dammit. 2 lifts up - turn left at the otp for Courchevel, turn right for Meribel. Returning home from Courchevel it's one lift
Le Praz never stayed there, more of a "real village" than the rest, not ideal for beginners I would say as they will always have to wait for the bus back
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Links are easy, we skied to VT and was back by lunchtime.

It's all very well saying that but you're a very experienced skier with good knowledge of the area. The OP said he was taking a mixed ability group and the intention was to
Quote:
really explore the whole TTV area

I can get from Courchevel to VT and back easily in time to pick the kids up from Ski School - but that doeasn't mean that doing the same thing with the kids in tow would be feasible.
Consider trying to get a mixed group up from La Tania to Orelle with enough time to explore all the runs and the snowpark while you're there, esp. when the route might not be the #1 most efficient and some might need a break on the way.

I'd still say that 1,2,3 according to what fits the spec. would be Mottaret with Meribel probably next, followed by Les Menuires.
snow report
Quote:

C1650 has superb - and quiet - skiing and several good bars and restos. I like the vibe, it's quite small town/villagey. IME (prepared to be corrected) most of the ski in/ski out accommodation is self-catering; most of the catered accommodation requires a hike to lifts or bus stop

We stayed in an excellent catered chalet in 1650 - I think it was a Le Ski chalet (last minute bargain). Superb food. It was just alongside the piste on the top left hand side of the short nursery drag on the left (looking up from the village), very convenient as long as that drag was open, bracing hike up the nursery slope otherwise. At that time (January 2002) the snow was fairly rubbish throughout the 3V (and elsewhere) but the consensus in the big mileage group in our chalet was that 1650 had the best snow in the 3V, not excluding Val Thorens and 1850.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, looks good but it might be too small because at the moment there ar six up for going, but this may increase to 8. very reasonable pricing though. Smile

T Bar, not bothered about tree skiing, as we'll all be boarding and I'm not confident on tree runs and the rest of the group aren't either.

admin, agree completely. When we did La Plagne, the two girls in our group were more conservative and weren't so keen on the fast, steep run so when we did a group outing the faster boarders were waiting around and this meant a run the fastet person could do in 30 minutes turned into 50 minutes with other in tow.

Motteratt does look like it's right, altthough I'm bring drawn to VT for some unknown reason!!
snow report
Specialman, if you have a larger group try www.amsrentals.co.uk they have around 30 properties in the meribel valley including two bigger apartments in our building. please mention my name if you contact them....
snow conditions
Specialman,
I was meaning tree lined pistes as much as anything. When the weathers poor they add protection from the elements and give a bit of visual definition.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman wrote:
admin, agree completely. When we did La Plagne, the two girls in our group were more conservative and weren't so keen on the fast, steep run so when we did a group outing the faster boarders were waiting around and this meant a run the fastet person could do in 30 minutes turned into 50 minutes with other in tow.
Yes exactly but also, the slower ones generally get tired more quickly so when doing a bit of a treck across a large domain, 3 x 30 minute runs for the fast ones becomes 3 x 50 mins + 45 minute stop
Quote:

Motteratt does look like it's right, altthough I'm bring drawn to VT for some unknown reason!!
Val Thorens is a great area but it is pretty well at one extreme of the 3valleys domain: remember the resort itself is up at 2300m while none of the others are above 1800. It's quite a long way just down to Mottaret (Two lifts up, a long run down, one more lift and another longish run into Mottaret). The less experienced amongst you might find it quite a long haul to get over to Courchevel 1650 and back. Although it's perfectly doable, it would probably be a once-in-the-week excursion rather than one of the options considered at the start of each day.

That said, no-one's going to get bored in VT for the week: I'm only asserting these points on the basis of your original 'Explore TTV' specification.

If Val Thorens holds such allure to you, you could always do what's right for the group this time and reward yourself for being such a considerate leader by going to the EoSB in VT Wink
ski holidays
I would have gone for Mottaret for the group. Better even for the slower boarders to get to either side of the area, even down to the road in Orrelle!!!

Have fun wherever you decide.
latest report
If you do decide on Mottaret, and there is a lot to be said for it, beware of trying to board down the notorious Ours run to get home from the Val T direction. It is very long and very flat and often occupied by waling people carrying boards. Instead, by the foot of the Vallon lift take the Plain des Mains (I think. It is Plain de something) which positions you nicely for the Rossignol run which is a pleasant rout back even to the top end of Mottaret.

There is much good advice re Mottaret in this thread. The place itself has little to commend it other than its location. It has only the basic everything. A little Huit a Huit; a cheap (by 3Vs standard) bar, a few eating places of all levels and great links. For tree-lined skiing (and lots of it) it is 5 minutes down to Meribel. Serious stuff is up the gondola in either direction.

snowHead
snow conditions
admin wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
Links are easy, we skied to VT and was back by lunchtime.

It's all very well saying that but you're a very experienced skier with good knowledge of the area. The OP said he was taking a mixed ability group and the intention was to
Quote:
really explore the whole TTV area

I can get from Courchevel to VT and back easily in time to pick the kids up from Ski School - but that doeasn't mean that doing the same thing with the kids in tow would be feasible.
Consider trying to get a mixed group up from La Tania to Orelle with enough time to explore all the runs and the snowpark while you're there, esp. when the route might not be the #1 most efficient and some might need a break on the way.

I'd still say that 1,2,3 according to what fits the spec. would be Mottaret with Meribel probably next, followed by Les Menuires.

Point taken. I only put that in to emphasise the quality of the lift system and the fact that huge distances can be covered, should your skiing being up to the task, albeit that none of the skiing to do the whole of the 3V links needs be much above intermediate standard.
snow conditions
I agree, the fundamental interconnectedness of all things in the 3v's is one of its best features IMO and yes, you can do a tour of the 3 valleys without being an expert. IIRC they promote a route to do that without even straying off blue runs but it is quite a mission for the slower skier/boarder - one of those, "We must do it once this week" missions.
snow conditions
admin,
Quote:

interconnectedness

Is that a word? Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman, admin, I agree and, unlike you two, I'm an intermediate skier though I can manage - and hugely enjoy - the many pisted and itinerary blacks in the 3Vs. And although I would continue to defend staying in Mottaret to take advantage of the many miles of pistes, I do agree it's a bit of a dump! (I stayed in the Hotel Mottaret last time, and the food was unspeakable! But, again, a great location - genuinely ski-in/ski-out.)
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, absolutivity is
latest report
Agenterre, I couldn't argumentaion that.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
admin,
Quote:

interconnectedness

Is that a word? Laughing

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently
snow report
admin, Some feel that 'interconnectedness' and similar terms are part of a contemporary lexicon of mysticism, which is based on the same core idea of universal oneness. Laughing
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Quote:

Quote:

interconnectedness

Is that a word?

My innate suspicion of wikipedia ("Some feel that 'interconnectedness' and similar terms are part of a contemporary lexicon of mysticism, which is based on the same core idea of universal oneness" - hokum, or what?!) led me to check whether the word is in the Shorter Oxford. It is. NehNeh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy