Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pole Plants: Does the pole plant occur at the start, or the end, of a turn?

Poster: A snowHead
Dypcdiver, yep, Russ is one of the youngest CSIA L4 examiners around, and he represented Canada at Interski 2007, along with his wife (also an outstanding CSIA L4 skier) Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, did you ever find the Interski video(s)?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, No, do you know where they are?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, though I haven't looked very hard.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight wrote:
There is a current vogue amongst instructors to remain "stacked" and/or to keep your hips above your heels. Whilst this may be true for many things (eg: in transitions), there are situations (due to terrain, tactics etc.) where you do have go go into "deep flexion", and yes, crouch.

I agree totally that flexion and extension are still important in many skiing situations, despite being unfashionable concepts in ski teaching at the moment.
You can certainly see plenty of them (along with a great recovery!) in the first sequence of video on this site: http://www.snowproab.com/
And of course Ligety's hips are definitely not above his heels in this transition:
http://www.ronlemaster.com/images/2005-2006/slides/ligety-bc-2005-sl-1a-flat.html
I agree that too dogmatic an approach towards ski technique is counter-productive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin, good post, where have you been lately?!

..... psssst...... ankles....... kinetic chain........ NehNeh

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin Bell, Surely the point is that you should never throw the baby out with the bathwater. However the sort of crouch and stand up that Megamum has been told to do is not helpful IMO. the flexion and extension needs to come from the ankle first, thus any instructions to do anything that may produce a 'sitting' action has to be a bad thing.

NB: the ter, 'up unweighting' has changed it's meaning now. It no longer means an almost hop to lift the weight right off the skis to allow a big rotational movement ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

And of course Ligety's hips are definitely not above his heels in this transition:

Resulting in his tips well off the snow!! Very Happy The jet turn is still allive and well Very Happy But a very nice pole plant that I would say was at the end of the turn Very Happy However at that level who gives a dam Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight wrote:
Martin, good post, where have you been lately?!

Southampton dry slope Wink (coaching some kids from our club amongst others - one was out training with us last night and there's a huge difference).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, we worked them hard, but it was a fun week!
Which is your club? Aldershot?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep. Only downside was their dad was just bemoaning the fact that not having had that training himself brings forward the day when she'll outstrip him Sad . He's just about coming to terms with not standing a chance against his son any longer (he did just manage to beat him once last year - but this year it's a completely lost cause).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Judging by my own observation of tourists skiing, it is fairly immaterial WHEN they plant their poles - their skiing would improve dramatically by planting them at all!! The main difficulty most people have is that their hands are stationary somewhere near their hips causing their wieght to be too far back and them having to wiggle their @rse to turn. The pole-plant automatically gets their hands and weight forward and often gets them to stand more upright and bring their hips forward as well. I am not an instructor, this is just my observation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gordyjh, that's interesting because I reckon most peeps actually cause more problems with pole planting! They do get their hands forward but then let them drop back and this causes a huge rotation of the body... curious - I don't doubt your observations. If the unfortunate skier is actually taught to stand correctly in the first place, it doesn't matter (most of the time) whether their hands are by their sides or in front of the body - the trick is to get the body to stay in position with or without the aid of the hands.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski,
I will obviously have to defer to your greater knowledge - as I say, I'm not an instructor. I do remember being told to imagine I was holding a tray of drinks which did prevent my hands dropping back.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gordyjh, Yes - I think the problem occurs when people just 'try' pole planting because they see everyone else do it, rather than be taught it! I don't doubt that your observtions will have merit, and will look out for this as soon as I'm back on the snow. Very Happy
ski holidays
Coming to skiing via boarding I've always had an issue with poles, I use my arms a lot as I autonomously use them as counter-balance to body movement whether core induced or terrain provoked but basically my poles just dangle and give me tactile feedback as the tips drag down the landscape. My hands are usually forward of my torso and slightly spread in a balance position but watching good skiers (and I'm not in that group) it seems that actually "planting" a pole, in the sense of driving the tip into a designated place, isn't a description of what's happening. I see an almost casual, ineffectual waving that just touches the snow in a sort of 'punctuation point' to the turn. Are poles actually needed to ski well since the manoeuvre looks as though it could be accomplished just as well without the pole?
snow report
Masque,
It is actually quite astonishing how difficult it is to ski sans poles!
ski holidays
Gordyjh wrote:
Masque,
It is actually quite astonishing how difficult it is to ski sans poles!

But is that more a learned and ingrained mental muscle response that is not actually necessary but is a habitual crutch from your first tottering slides down the bunny slope?

Racers don't pole plant so (in that situation) are they just counterbalance weights that you've become used to and as such are essentially redundant?
latest report
Masque, Yeah I think a lot of it is ingrained memory... Instructors that do not know me are usually very surprised when they take my poles off me and they discover I'm quite comfortable with that... I have spent many many hours skiing sans poles - "you ski with your feet"

Easiski and Fastman had me ski around with hands in all sorts of positions just to prove I can...

However I will add that poles do add an extra point of reference for your body's balance system to use.... It is easy to see this if you stick yourself in a position that challenges your balance - perhaps stand on a dyna disc with eyes shut.... and then do it again but have some vertical or horizontal surface near by (eg a wall) and tap your fingertip lightly onto that surface... The ligth touch is still sufficient to give your body an extra reference point and does help you to stay balanced...

So pole plants are helpful in flat light, steeps etc where you are in difficult situations... as they give you that extra help... note that many racers have a pole out as a "feeler" in pics of them...has same purpose as above...
snow report
Masque, In many cases, with intermediate skiers they act as a sort of baby's comforter. I think pole planting is less important in beginning and intermediate skiers than it used to be, but just as important for better skiers as it ever was. It's very hard to ski bumps without poles .. Sad
latest report
The pole plant (can) help create a moment of inertia, this well help the skier re direct the path of their skis. When the skis are moving through an arc, they will continue unless influenced by another action (internal (skier) external (another outside force). The pole plant can create a break in this tendency which allows the skier to make actions to re direct the skis. As the skier re directs the skis, it can be more efficient if they are in stacked stance above the skis so they can use the body whilst it is in its strongest and most efficient structural state. Plant as you changes edges, having created the most efficient stance.

Stacked does not mean upright! The feet are in a supporting role out to the side of a skier. Whilst the skier is in motion, the feet dont support the skier directly under the body. At this stage they are in transit under the COM.
snow report
elbrus, it's just a "moment" or, more correctly, "moment of force" (force x perpendicular distance to pivot). A moment applied to a body will cause an angular acceleration, proportional to the moment and inversely proportional to the body's moment of inertia with respect to the axis of rotation. In rotational mechanics, moment is the analogue of force in linear mechanics, and moment of inertia the analogue of mass.
snow conditions
laundryman, is that an agreement with my theory?
snow conditions
elbrus, it all sounds about right to me with the minor terminology change! Very Happy
snow report
laundryman, thanks for that. Its good to read it in the most accurate form. In real easy terms, how would you explain that?
ski holidays
I'm trying to learn how to pole plant again. I've sort of fallen out of the habit of using it, other than on steep or bumpy terrain. I see it as a good way to help re-centre myself when I get out of shape, as well as acting as a trigger for the transition into the next turn. Good for general balance as well. It was with considerable envy that I saw Euan and Dave throw in double pole plants during the EoSB race when they needed to keep on top of the skis and cope with the ruts and bumps that had built up in the soft snow. I just don't have that timing or fluidity in my pole plants, which are still kind of lumpen stabs into the snow.
snow report
elbrus, I'd probably try to think of a more familiar analogy. The best I can come up with at the moment would be trundling down a moderate hill on a bike and touching a foot to the ground: you'd turn in that direction.
ski holidays
laundryman, but only if you shift your mass over the leg to apply force through that foot. If you stay centred over the bike and apply a force the bike will tip and turn away from the force. I think your analogy is inappropriate . . . unless I'm reading it incorrectly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, I'm tempted to nip outside and try! You could probably get almost any effect with the right application, so I agree it's not the best of analogies. I was imaging just a quick dab.
snow conditions
laundryman, The problem I think we all face is defining he influence that affect our balance, both positively and negatively. Head angulation to keep your eyes stable and horizontal (which, surprisingly, no-one has mentioned, tactile reference as little tiger has mentioned. . . there is a lot more going on in body movement than just where to point a pole. I'm really not sure that a pole is anything more than a balance aid . . . somewhat like a tightrope walker's . . . that has little practical, physical function in the transfer of forces between p'Tex and snow surface but is more just reference information for our brains to modify our body actions.
snow report
Masque wrote:
Head angulation to keep your eyes stable and horizontal (which, surprisingly, no-one has mentioned, tactile reference as little tiger has mentioned. . .

I vaguely remember Fastman mentioning the tipping the head towards the new turn.
ski holidays
I think I use my poles (moguls aside) to help get a rhythm going in my whole body, which would be more difficult if my arms were static or randomly flailing around. Presumably that's because I'm just a recreational skier, looking for rhythm in my turns, and not a racer where the placing of each turn is a great deal more critical.
snow report
A lot about the pole plant is about moving one's hand. But really, on smooth moderate pitch, much of what people attributed to pole "plant" can be achieved by moving ones hand the same way as one would with a pole, a.k.a. "a phantom pole plant"! In fact, easier done WITHOUT the extra weight of the poles dangling from the wrist!

The only time I found pole plant NECESSARY is when the pole actually have to bear weight! Like in a jump turn. Or in the moguls when the pole is use to re-direct or re-balance the upper body.

Boarders don't carry poles. Yet, in my boarding lesson, we were taught to use our hands out as visual cue to direct our upper body. I suspect the same can be idea can be use for teaching skiers up to the intermediate level...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 21-09-07 15:21; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
abc, That makes sense to me.
latest report
visual cues, visual cues, where did those Punjabi dance videos disappear to?
ski holidays
From someone who's learned to ski in the past few years, I find it very helpful using my poles to initiate turns - particularly shorter, quicker turns. For long carving turns they seem to be a hindrance.
snow conditions
Hurtle, I was taught to keep the pole tips always moving.... this is a timing aid....Timing the swing helps you time the movements that should be always happening but that many people do a bit of and then stop... and then repeat for next turn... So you need to have constantly increasing or decreasing edge angle to snow and constantly increasing or decreasing leg length(in some manner)... these may not be the easiest things to time. Our brains devote a lot of input to the sensory feel from the hands, so swinging the pole is much easier for our simple brains to time than the above... the others can be synchronised to the more easily controlled pole swing.

If you want my instructors philosophy on poles in a nutshell.
a) You ski with feet so learn to do that - ie drop the poles regularly(eg.hands on knees for short turns, schlopy drill etc)
b) If you are carrying some stuff around make it work for you at more time than just the lift line, so keep their tips moving or drag a tip lightly on snow(which is a feedback as per my previous post)

erica2004,
erica2004 wrote:
For long carving turns they seem to be a hindrance.

I always complained of that my instructor simply insisted that I should then be making an effort to use the damn things - see swinging above.... I did and it helped a lot, I still tend to stop if I am working on something else but do make the attempt regularly and it is becoming easier... I have to admit to rarely planting in a long turn but the swing helps
ski holidays
Masque, I'd read laundryman's exercise as generating a yaw rather than the roll moment you appear to be thinking of - by virtue of the foot dragging on the ground. Agree it's probably not the best example though. As for terminology - FWIW I've normally used "turning moment" (even thought that's sort of tautology) as it does what it says on the tin,"moment" is a bit generic and confusing with the other non-technical meanings, and "moment of force" is a bit too obviously technical.

elbrus propably one of the best demonstrations of the difference between a (turning) moment and a linear force is when trying to get a stiff nut undone (e.g. a wheelnut). You can either strain yourself with the pathetic wheelbrace given free with the car, or take it much easier by using a bigger spanner! (a smaller force applied further from the pivot point producing a larger turning effect). And the best demonstrations of the effect of moments of intertia is when a skater speeds up by pulling in his/her arms. The rotational (angular) momentum is conserved as the moment of inertia is decreased by a corresponding increase in the angular velocity (i.e. they spin faster).
latest report
GrahamN, yep: that's what I had in mind.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy