Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots for a newb?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I'm a novice skier with a few weeks on the snow in the past (rentals), and am going again in Jan. This time I'd like to pick up some boots and ski's for the trip - hopefully there'll be a lot more trips after this one Razz

After reading around a bit, would it be fair to say that it's best to get boots first, and then ski's afterwards? With this in mind, what sort of boot should I be looking for - or is it a case of whatever fits best?

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, my, that was helpful now, wasn't it? Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scottland, Its worth running the search function on this one - there's a number of threads on the subject. As I was told, so you should get told - get the boots first and the most important thing is to get a pair that fit fitted by a properly trained and experienced 'boot fitter' of which snowheads has a few that are favoured if you can get to them - they will all be along to advise further I'm sure.

Welcome to the madhouse!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
veeeight, my, that was helpful now, wasn't it? Laughing

Well, if he posted a photo of his feet, I'm sure I'd be of more help Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scottland, get yourself to a fitter and take the advice, the boot that is best is the one that fits your feet...where abouts are you located? we may be able to point you in the right direction
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Embarassed

Rather disappointing thread - I read the title as 'boobs for a newt' rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scottland, try and find somewhere that sells a sellection of boots, from different suppliers.
try them on and take your time.
don't rush it and don't assume the more expensive the more cumfortable. Yes this can go hand in hand but not always
hope this helps
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
selection of boots in the store is important , but there will be very few that actually fit your feet properly, don't fall in to the trap of trying on loads and going for the ones that feel most comfortable in the shop....chances are they will be too big!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, That's similar to a pair David Goldsmith sold me when he was a salesman in a ski shop. Cost nineteen shillings if I remember correctly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scottland, I think the easiest advice is something about what not to do.....don't take a catalogue which invents it's own grading system and then decide where you fit, before ordering something completely unsuitable....do get yourself to a experienced and recommended bootfitter, and be prepared to give up several hours of measuring, questioning, and being pushed a pulled about before making a decision. It's not unlike being arrested actually.....(so I have been told Embarassed )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for the replies guys, I'm in the North Wales area - does anybody know a boot fitter in the vacinity?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scottland,
I don't know about the vicinity but if you go over to the Events page it sounds like you will get very sound advice and a discount at Bicester early Oct. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar, I'm moving camp to Leamington Spa for a couple of days Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM, I always saw you moving campley. Oh, Mince. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CEM,
Oops I get all these places dahn Sarf mixed up. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, but rumour has it you are the only gay in that village wink
ski holidays
Scottland, I live south manchester and can highly recommend Ellis Brigham - The Castlefield branch in Manchester. It's near the science and industry museum. Had 2 pairs from there 5 years apart and the guy remembered my feet !!!!!! I do have several quirks. I think his words on seeing me again were "oh no, you don't want a new pair do you !. Actually I think I have 2 pairs that may be ok" his name was Adam but I think he only works there on a casual basis as he's off doing ski and golf things most of the time. If you go soon he may be doing casual work for them until he goes off for the season. But we find all the staff at this branch are pretty good.

Definately get the boots first. You can get skis later.

Also allow plenty of time, 3-4 hours max and a possible repeat visit, so I'd think about it now rather than later.
ski holidays
Thanks again for the advice, I might see if I can have a look in Manchester then - I know where that store is.

Would you say there is anything wrong with getting boots that feel ok, and then taking them to get fitted later (before I go skiing obv.)?
ski holidays
Quote:

getting boots that feel ok

Scottland, What does Ok mean? I think the point we need to touch on here is how receptive your feet maybe? Ok is everything from Gently tight to Bucket Loose. I don't think anyone who came to our store and was left to their own devices would leave with the right size, always too big.
ski holidays
Scottland, I would concur withSMALLZOOKEEPER. Go to a reputable fitter. Take their advice. If you don't feel they really know what they are talking about walk away. Never purchase when left to your own devices. Your feet may need custom footbeds, the toebox may need stretching, you may need pads in specific places for heel hold or pressure release. It's a minefield out there. Never settle for ok. It's too important for them to be just ok. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Cheers for the replies guys, I'm in the North Wales area - does anybody know a boot fitter in the vacinity?

I think the nearest with the largest range on offer would be snow and rock, the wirral.

They tend to have a strong range with well trained boot fitters and some decent "guarantees".

Wherever you buy it would be wise to ask "what happens if they are problematic when i use them?" and be re-assured by the after sales service that they are offering as who knows how your feet react at altitude.

Modification, refund on rental( if required) and certainly a % of credit or refund should be offered after use if they are confident of what they are doing.

The ultimate responsability relies with yourself to ensure you are 100% sure woth what you are buying as no boot fitter will feel your pain!!
latest report
letitsnow, not sure I would agree with Snow and Rock having well-trained boot fitters. I am sure some are.
snow conditions
Thanks all for your help, I might make it upto Ellis Brigham in Manchester, it's only about an hour away. I think they have a sale on at the minute too! Cool
ski holidays
Scottland, Remember, a cheaper boot that doesn't fit your foot is money wasted. Little Angel
latest report
Thats right, but it's worth the trip just to have a look and try some. I don't have to buy anything, I'm not going until Jan! Smile
snow conditions
Scottland, Ok my last post on this one, You will never buy the boot that fits your foot correctly unless it's fitted properly. I guess that's my best summary.
snow conditions
Scottland, Buy the boots at a reputable shop in the resort. You'll never know how boots fit until you ski in them. At a resort you can take them back and change them if they don't fit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy