Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going to Morzine for 6 weeks !!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads,

I'm planning a long holiday to Morzine for 6 weeks (1st March), I wondered if anyone has any comments or experiences they'd like to share such as:-

How much money should I be looking at to rent an apt for 6 weeks for 2 people? £1500??
Has anyone got links to long let apartments?
We plan to drive, shall we use boat or the tunnel to get there?
Places to visit (neighbouring resorts), things to do if we can't ski etc..
Insurances for skiing and the car?

Any info much appreciated - from a very excited wonderwoman Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morzine, at just 1000m, is very low. Late-season snow is often poor. It is a gamble.

You need to head higher. You want white, not green, slopes.

Avoriaz, closeby, at 1800m, is a safer option.

Other high-altitude choices to consider include Val d'Isere, Val Thorens and La Plagne.

Try natives.co.uk for a longterm apartment rental.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Since Morzine is so much more attractive than Avoriaz, I would still stay in Morzine. It's not complicated to get to Avoriaz from there, to ski.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wonderwoman,
Quote:

Places to visit (neighbouring resorts), things to do if we can't ski etc..

You do mean after the lifts have closed ...right ? Toofy Grin

Seriously, lucky you, I think that you should be able to pay less than £1500 as April is pretty quiet normally for flat owners, either pay less or get more for your money, you should PM Snowandtrek as she has here own accomodation to rent and works as an agent for many others in Morzine town, I'm jealous.

Not sure how well you know the area but a day or two in La Grande Terche is a must for empty pistes. A day (or two() in Annecy in April is a real must
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, I'd mirror that, you'll have a much better social life in Morzine Town ! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys, I'm happy to get bus or maybe drive up to Avoriaz if needs be to get the snow.

Frosty, The thought of skiing for 6 weeks every day sounds like a dream however the reality of my fitness level and body holding up is probably near impossible, I'm bound to need a day or 2 off. I'm sure the weather will stop me from skiing a couple of days anyway. I've only been to Portes Soleil for 3 days so I've only skied Avoriaz and Morzine - I want to find those nice quiet, good snow areas.

Whitegold, I've sent an enquiry off to natives.co.uk - many thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wonderwoman, To be honest in April some of the lifts open a little earlier (Ardent bubble) and a lot of people finish skiing by lunchtime and do something else after a nice loooooong lunch, it just depends how cold it stays. In 05/06 we had fresh powder on the 11th April. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty, Fresh powder on the last week of the season that year also!!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty, and I'd mirror you on a trip to Annecy and its environs. A lovely town and all sorts of pretty places around/above the lake. I used to take a picnic on a rowing boat on the lake sometimes - idyllic on a sunny day. Lovely views of the lake from various restaurants in Talloires - and they don't all cost an arm and a leg, though it has to be said that the view from Pere Bise's dining room is unrivalled! I'm also very fond of the Lac de Bourget, which is not so much further: Aix-les-Bains and Le Bourget du Lac (the Hotel Ombremont in the latter has one of the most beautiful terrace views I know) are well worth visiting.

Both these lakes are home to the most delicious fish I have ever tasted (but I am particularly fond of freshwater fish) - the famed 'omble chevalier' a type of char.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whitegold wrote:
Morzine, at just 1000m, is very low. Late-season snow is often poor. It is a gamble.

Do you just look up a resorts height and write your own doom and gloom? Avoriaz being "close by" is amusing. The lift to Avoriaz is 100m across town from the lift into Morzine. If you go to Morzine you get both. You also get people, shops, and bars. Avoriaz is a purpose built place that I wouldn't fancy doing more than a week in. You'll be fine in April, there was still snow in Avoriaz this april during the "worst winter ever" etc etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC,
Quote:

Do you just look up a resorts height and write your own doom and gloom? Avoriaz being "close by" is amusing. The lift to Avoriaz is 100m across town from the lift into Morzine. If you go to Morzine you get both. You also get people, shops, and bars. Avoriaz is a purpose built place that I wouldn't fancy doing more than a week in. You'll be fine in April, there was still snow in Avoriaz this april during the "worst winter ever" etc etc.

Pretty much the point made by myself and Frosty - only slightly more politely! wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well done wonderwoman - excellent choice wink

Driving is a good idea - Flaine (via Morillon or Samoens), Megeve and Chamonix are all around an hour away. Yvoire, Evian and Thonon are all good for a day trip - as is Annecy.

As Frosty says, Snowandtrek is a great place to start and a lovely person. Martin at www.jollygood.com also does apartments and may well do a deal for six weeks.

I must admit that I'm not as confident as others on the budget - just because Easter is so spread out this year. But, no ask, no get.

BTW - Greetings DaveC - I've only just spotted the name change!

Personally, I find Speed Ferries to be good value.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I find Speed Ferries to be good value.

......erm with an excellent range of dips and snacks served at the front of the ship... Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty wrote:
......erm with an excellent range of dips and snacks served at the front of the ship... Laughing Laughing

????
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhillipStanton, That reliable source of tabloid news "The Sun" reported that a speedferries skipper was caught a couple of weeks ago with a buffet of food (carrotts,crisps and dips etc)spread out on the control panel of Speed 1, he probably would not have been caught if he had'nt posted a picture of himself on YouTube (or was it MySpace?). To be fair it was only at the VERY end of the aticle that they mentioned the ship was moored in Bolougne harbour, newspapers, don't you love them
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

A pessimist is a well-informed optimist.

Wonderwoman needs to head higher.

Morzine is too low for a late-season vacation.

There is nothing worse than green slopes in Winter. They kill the vibe.

Better to be looking out on white pistes in Avoriaz than brown ones in Morzine.
latest report
wonderwoman, We have a lovely 1 bedroom apartment in Morzine. From 1st March for 6 weeks you are loking at about £2,000. If you want to send us exact dates we can see what sort of deal we can do.

I also work for a local estate agent who has access to smaller (i.e studio) type places.

You can either PM me or email info@snowandtrek.co.uk

Thanks to PhillipStanton, for the reference.
ski holidays
Hey snowandtrek - greetings. Glad you got the mail. All the best to Mrsnowandtrek.

Frosty - nice to hear that you, errr, "read" The Sun wink
ski holidays
Thanks for all your comments - I've read that the Flaine weekly lift pass includes a day skiing to Portes de Soliel, does anyone know if this works the other way round, (days in Flaine if got Portes Soliel season pass)??

PhillipStanton, the speed ferries looks good - thank you

snowandtrek, I have emailed you off of your website with exact dates - pm if you need more info I'd be interested in the smaller studios maybe.
latest report
wonderwoman - if you buy a season pass then you can, for the princely sum of 3 euros, buy a book of tickets that gives you one free day in each of three French resorts (Flaine, Chamonix, Megeve, etc - but only one day in any one) and half price off a variety of Swiss resorts - including Verbier (about two hours away).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy