Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question...Best summer ski resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for some advice to help me decide where to go this summer.
I have dilema between Switz (Zermatt or Sas Fee) and France (Les2Alpes or Tignes).

Best slopes, snow conditions, apress-ski?

Also any recommendations about hotels and godd bootfietters in this resorts?

Thx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WHAT IS YOUR ABILITY?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome both to snowHead s

Ability level is not that critical for summer skiing as you will be skiing a fairly limited area of red/blue pistes on a glacier wherever you go. Of the resorts you mention (and I've skiied all of them out of season) Saas Fee is my favourite. The town is lively, there are a number of bars and clubs open and the glacier skiing is quite extensive. You will also get to watch some high quality skiers race training as well. You can get a train or bus to Zermatt quite easily should you wish to have a day or two skiing there. Hotels - Ferinart is excellent but expensive, Hotel Dom and Park Hotel are both cheaper but still comfortable. The skiing at LDA and Tignes is good, however I personally do not like the towns (there - I've said it), although if you have a look through some of the other threads you will see that there are plenty of other people who do not agree with me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zermatt for me every time, though I've not been to Saas Fee and BGA makes it sound very tempting!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saas Fee, Zermatt, Les 2 Alpes and Hintertux are the main Alpine Summer stations.

Any one of these is good to go.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SAAS FEE HAS THE MOST EXTENSIVE GLACIER SKIING
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CREVASSE _07, there's a key on the left hand side of your keyboard that says Caps Lock on it. If you press it, you'll notice a slight change in the output from your computer.

BTW you are correct about Saas Fee
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
iko, It really depends on what you're looking for. Saas Fe and Zermatt and unquestionable pretty and attractive. Zermatt has the highest skiing in europe, but the uplift is very slow and you might have to walk a long way to the lifts depending on where you stay (no cars). I've never been to Saas Fe so I can't comment. In France the accommodation will be cheaper and the skiing will be about the same, but Tignes is a monstosity, and as some have pointed out LDA is not exactly chocolate box. Generally conditions are likely to be about the same everywhere, but you should look at the snow fall over the next couple of days. Remember, august is quite late for summer skiing, so it won't be at all like winter.

You might also want to consider afternoon activities and have a good look at the various websites to see what else is on offer, as other activities would be a big part of any skiing holiday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd go for 2Alpes over Tignes - more non-skiing things to do/prettier area to visit. You can only ski in the mornings, so you need things to do pm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CREVASSE _07 wrote:
SAAS FEE HAS THE MOST EXTENSIVE GLACIER SKIING

What stats can you quote to support this assertion?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you don't like flat... Kaunertal or Hintertux.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, Yes - but look at the conditions at Hintertux at the moment (which it says on the thread have been similar for the last 2 weeks). Clearly not too good at the moment. I don't know about Tignes - we don't have regular reports from there at the moment. However if planning to go in the next week or so, clearly it would be better to go where the snow is (or will hopefully be back after tomorrow).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, wherever you pick, it's all a bit hit 'n miss these days (especially in July/August) so, if it were me, I'd travel prepared to do all of the other great things you can do in the mountains and view sliding as a bonus. You might pick Tignes based on today's report but by the time you arrive Tux might be the place to be. Isn't it better to save the pennies for a glacier trip in October - ain't that far away.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BGA, easiski, thx for information.

My primary criterias are snow conditions and slope extent.

I decid to go to Switz - Zermatt or Saas Fee.

Any recomndation for hotel in Zermatt?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

criterias

One criterion
Two criteria

No 'criterias'
ski holidays
iko wrote:

I decid to go to Switz - Zermatt or Saas Fee.

Any recomndation for hotel in Zermatt?

Excelsior in Zermatt is very good. 3 star, reasonably priced, central and very comfortable.

You basically have 2 choices in Zermatt. If you want to stay in the village, you'll need to get the ski bus to the lift. If you stay by the lift it's bit of a hike into town. The bus runs all year round, and the great majority of people stay in the village.
latest report
Lizzard,
Quote:

No 'criterias'

Not fair, I think iko may not be a native English speaker (and may not have studied Greek either.) The BBC, on the other hand, ought to know the bacterium/bacteria distinction - one constantly hears references to 'a bacteria' on the radio. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
iko, The Hotel Antares and the Hotel Butterfly have both been recommended to me, but I haven't stayed in either place myself. I've stayed in the Hotel Sonne, it was fine (4*)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy