Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for month in 2008

Poster: A snowHead
After a break of several years, I had two separate weeks on the slopes this year and rediscovered just how much I like skiing. So much so, that I'm going to go for a month next winter, with the aim of actually getting significantly better.

So far, I'm aiming at:
* a return to Chamonix - love the atmosphere there
* shared accomodation for economic and social reasons
* flights on BA - about £100 but no extra for skis and boots, and service is better than EasyJet et al
* a fair amount of lessons - both to improve mu skiing and to add some structure to my stay

After a bit of looking around, I stumbled on Planet Subzero as a possible accomodation provider - anyone got any experience of, or comments on, their propery in Chamonix centre?

Also, I'm after a bit of advice on timing; I could either go mid-Jan to mid-Feb, or mid-Feb to mid-March; while the snow is more reliable in the latter, I'm conscious the French school holidays will be in full swing, but I don't know just how much of a difference that will make.

If anyone happens to want to chime in with any thoughts they're welcome, though I'm particular interested in the questions I've posed (obviously) Wink

Ta,
Phil.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say best timing would be the last 3 weeks in January and the first week in Feb, which will be low season. The rest of Feb and the first week in March will be very busy with French hols and that makes a BIG difference.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try natives.co.uk for plenty of apartment-sharers.

Go mid-Feb to mid-Mar. It is buzzier and warmer. There will be more offpiste open.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PhilG,
I used Planet Subzero the season before last, but have no plans to repeat the experience - draw your own conclusions! Since then I believe Planet Subzero have been bought out, possibly by Natives.
You could try Alpine Elements for accommodation, too.
With appartments, take the number of beds & divide by two, else you may end up killing each other before your month is up.

If you are looking to improve your skiing via lessons, have you thought of an all in course, such as run by BASE & others?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Go mid-Feb to mid-Mar. It is buzzier and warmer.

If your idea of "buzzy" is to be surrounded by lots of ill behaved Parisian teenagers, sure. If you go mid Feb to mid March three-quarters of the time will be French half term and half of it Paris half term, the worst of the lot. Lift queues in Chamonix can be bad enough in low season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try a thorough google search on most season operators before you part with cash - there are some horror stories out there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhilG, Oh, and welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the feedback so far guys 'n' gals.

Kenzie, thanks for the tip about Base Camp - intriguing - and thanks all for the advice to be generally wary of seasonaire accomodation. Not sure where that leaves me, but I'll figure something out Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, one month later and I'm in "let's get it booked up" mode, but am still at a bit of a crossroads.

One thing I have fixed on is Chamonix for definite, and that rules out Base Camp, and also Alpine Elements as despite the confusing information on their website, the only places they do for a month long stay for a single traveller are in Morzine and Tignes. I'm left with a choice of three:
  • Planet Subzero - There's been mixed reviews here, they can't quite do the dates I want (their website lists different dates to the ones they actually offer), and the accommodation is rather basic
  • ColdFusion - Much nicer accommodation, they can do the dates I want but they're not exactly in walking distance of Chamonix and we all know how much Chamonix taxis cost!
  • Somewhere like the Gustavia - central, reasonable accommodation but a possibility I won't really get to know anyone as it's not a chalet

Aaarrgh!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PhilG, Try the snowboard forums (Gone boarding and SCUK) for people to share with - there are a few Chamonix regulars on there, also try seasonworkers.com and chalets direct forums as people are often looking to share accommodation through those sites. You might find someone who will rent you a bed for just a month or a small group to rent an apartment with.

It could also be worth contacting small tour operators - they may have something to offer or know someone who does even if they aren't advertising the fact.

Jo
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why limit yourself to just Chamonix?\

Road trip I say.

Chase the best conditions.

poo-poo snow at Chamonix is not as good as great snow in Kitzbuhel IMHO
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm sure nobody but me is really that bothered, but just for the sake of closure, ended up going with ColdFusion and got it booked up, Jan 13 to Feb 10 - ie I leave just as the French arrive Smile At least I know now that it's sorted! Also looks like I'll have a week in March in 3V with a bunch of mates, so roll on the winter...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PhilG, good plan. Hope it goes well for you Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhilG, best of luck with the month away rolling eyes

I do disagree wholeheartedly with your following statement though
PhilG wrote:
* flights on BA ... service is better than EasyJet

Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PhilG,

Sounds good to me and I've never seen anything wrong with Chamioix buses as it happens.

I'd love a month in Chamonix.......I might have to settle for a day or two whilst in the vicinity
snow report
JT wrote:
I've never seen anything wrong with Chamioix buses as it happens.

Agreed, nothing wrong with the buses - except when you tumble out of Chambre Neuf at 2/3am and need to get home, and they stopped many hours before...
ski holidays
Michelle, just better for me personally - I'm in SW London so after Gatwick flights, they include ski carriage in the price, and I can use their lounges - so all in all just better service for me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy