Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to alps - stops en-route

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks all - yes, Hells Bells, it IS the Tambour, not sure why link not working. The pool isn't a deal-breaker but a nice-to-have. snowymum, thanks for the alternative suggestions - will look. pam w, yes, leaving on the Friday, as we usually do in the summer when driving, to relieve the pressure to get to the ferry on time; thanks for the tip re: peage gates.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Montana, I wouldn't worry about the peage in summer - unless it's one of those special days they warn you about on the Bison Futé website, when all France goes on holiday at the same time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are driving down for a week in Les Arcs first week of the Easter hols, leaving on Friday - does anyone have any recommendations for a stop between Bourg en Bresse and Annecy - we stopped at the Val Moret last time but this time we are looking at getting a lot closer to resort on the Friday night.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a nice lay by just by Annecy lake, next to some very clean public toilets and some Flot Bleu. I stopped there for long periods, and walked into Annecy. Lovely place to stay, and walk by the lake. It was free to park and sleep there when I was last there. The public toilets (self cleaning), were also free, heated, and open 24 hours.

Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Bigtipper, but was thinking more along the lines of a hotel ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I only ever stayed at Formula 1, or Etap (when I wanted my own bath: very rarely). There is a Formula 1 and an Etap in Annecy. Looks like it costs about £24 per night for a room which sleeps a maximum of 3? (there is a double bed, and a single bed which bunks above the double)

I have seen 3 people using these rooms, but mostly it will be one or two.

Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Give-away overnight stay Laussane 21.12- 2013.

Plastic-room for max 3 persons.

Donation to Snowheads will be nice. Little Angel

"The Stupied" Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi we drive down to meribel every year and always stop in beaune which about five hours from Calais and about four to three Vallies
It's a great town loads of cheap eating and wine by the bucket load Chablis is worth stopping at which is a hour north of beaune but don't think you will find loads of cheap Chablis
Our favoring is annercy which is only 1 1/2 hours from alps fantastic canals and stunning lake great cheap places to eat and great place to visit
Cheers
Merinut Very Happy Very Happy snowHead too
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Merinut, any hotel recommendations for Beaune? They'd be a useful addition to a thread about where to stay.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells, this is a second-hand recommendation but my niece stopped off in Beaune on the way home at Christmas, in the Hotel Foch. She said "the rooms were VERY basic, but comfortable and the shower was a decent temperature. The staff were friendly, breakfast was fab and the bar area very quaint. It had loads of parking on the road behind it and it was an easy stroll (about 5 mins) from the centre of town".

Very cheap - booking.com quoted me £46 for a double room next Tuesday.

The money they saved on the hotel they spent on an expensive dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fairly near to Beaune, I haven't stayed there but it's owned by Kathy who owns the apartment I'm staying in this winter. Also friends with Lizzard and easiski.

www.theolddoctorshouse.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We stay at LE VAL MORET, just SE of Troyes, 5 minutes off the A5, at Junction 22. It's about 4 to 4-1/2 hours from Calais. It's a motel *** with secure parking and a nice restaurant. If you've already done a few hours to get to Ashford/Dover then it's a good place to stop. It might be a bit early if you're near to the Channel ports. They have a very nice new indoor pool, with sauna and jucuzzi.

http://www.le-val-moret.com/en/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, We have stayed just outside of Beaune in Montagny les Beaune, at Hotel Le Clos. It is a charmingly restored french farm house. In the summer breakfast is served in the beautiful gardens. The only draw back is the short 5-10 mins drive into Beaune to eat in the evening, although I think there is a small restaurant in the village. However the centre of Beaune is just too good to miss!
http://www.hotelleclos.com/fr/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, We have stayed just outside of Beaune in Montagny les Beaune, at Hotel Le Clos. It is a charmingly restored french farm house. In the summer breakfast is served in the beautiful gardens. The only draw back is the short 5-10 mins drive into Beaune to eat in the evening, although I think there is a small restaurant in the village. However the centre of Beaune is just too good to miss!
http://www.hotelleclos.com/fr/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks guys, useful additions to the thread. I have my own recommendation too at the Hotel de la Paix. Secure parking, decent (if expensive) breakfast and just outside the walls .

Hotel de la Paix http://www.hotelpaix.com/
snow report
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive hotel or B & B within an hour or so south of Dunkerque please? This is our outbound journey to Morzine and as we'll have been driving from the north west since 8.00 am, just want something easy to reach from the autoroute, with secure parking. I'm going around in circles a bit, looking at the chain hotel sites, thinking I've found something, and it's either then not available, convoluted to reach, or has no on-site parking

Grateful for any pointers - BTW, ideally would like a family room, but OK with two rooms. Not Formule 1 please, as no private facilities (unless anyone knows different?) - Thanks
ski holidays
Montana, Lille is about an hour from Dunkerque, plenty of the chain hotels on the south side around the airport.
snow conditions
rjs, thanks - I've been looking around Lille but wasn't sure which was the 'best' area in terms of proximity to the autoroute, so will take another look now
ski holidays
Montana, I stayed at the Premiere Classe in Seclin two weekends ago, it shared secure parking with a Campanile. There is a Hotel BB on the same road too.

They are next to a brand new Leclerc for getting fuel.
latest report
rjs, excellent, thank you
snow report
rjs, thanks again - have booked two rooms at Premiere Classe - location is great for what we want, proper car park, good rate with breakfast Very Happy Will review on our return for other's future reference
latest report
As promised - just back from our holidays in Morzine, and stayed at Premiere Classe in Seclin for one night on the way there. Plus points - very easy to find, just off the autoroute; helpful pre-arrival comms with an English-speaking receptionist, who - on arrival - turned out to be the cleaner as well; cost was around 90 euros for two rooms inc breakfast, 4 people (each only sleeps 3). The hotel is within a small retail park with large DIY stores, garden centre etc., plus a couple of chain restaurants, as well as a Subway and a McDonalds.

However......the hotel seems to double as a brothel with clientele arriving at the same time we did (around 7.30 pm) and departing an hour later; this - plus various other dodgy activities - continued through the night, and so NOT the most restful sleep we've ever had.

The location was very good for us though, so we booked the adjacent Campanile for the return journey - two rooms again, each sleeping 2, very clean, not overly hot (often a problem), kettle and tea/coffee.....and no evidence of The Oldest Profession. Cost a bit more at just over 100 euros without breakfast.
latest report
Quote:

an English-speaking receptionist, who - on arrival - turned out to be the cleaner as well

and could possibly turn her hand to other tricks as well? Laughing
snow report
pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
Montana, Sorry about that, I was there on a Thursday night when I guess the mix of guests was a bit different.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

an English-speaking receptionist, who - on arrival - turned out to be the cleaner as well

and could possibly turn her hand to other tricks as well? Laughing

We did add Madam to her list of tasks Laughing

rjs no problem - we thought it was quite funny and certainly les dull than an average Travelodge stay Very Happy
latest report
We have stayed at the Novotel in both Beaune and Troyes. Both were perfect for our purposes - family room for 4 for about €100 (extra discount if you use quidco). Eating in the hotel isn't very good value, but in Beaune there was a pizzeria 5 mins walk away. Troyes is pretty isolated, so not much choice there.
snow conditions
Dijon - Stunning place, particularly at night.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there an English speaking radio station that will give traffic news as my pidgin French will not up for translating and driving simultaneously?
snow report
when are you driving, @Kennyboyo? I don't know of an English speaking station but the 107.7FM autoroute radio will repeat important news often enough for you to get to grips with it if you speak a bit of French and I have heard them broadcast in English when there is really vital news to impart.
snow conditions
Thanks Pam, driving at half term on the basis that I was too late to get the cheap flights. Hope the travel nightmare on 27/12 will not be repeated. Driving as far as bourg en bresse on Friday and hoping for an early start Saturday morning to La Plagne.
latest report
@Kennyboyo, Hmm. Those timings are not ideal - could you get closer on Friday night (though you definitely need to book accommodation). Somewhere like Albertville. Then start the drive up around 7 am. Or else aim to be driving up the resort early evening. Arriving between mid morning and late afternoon will be very busy.

Unlikely to be a repeat of the New Year transfer chaos - but you never know. Have chains, get good at using them, have food and drink....

and when you leave La Plagne, make it either very early in the morning or not till late afternoon. I have been told on another thread that these are very offensive suggestions; it seems some folk just much prefer sitting in stationary traffic for hours.
snow conditions
Helpful and inoffensive. Travelling in convoy so will ask others if Albertville is doable. Planning on a fullish day of skiing on the last day and missing the traffic hopefully. Only 4 more school years before I can go skiing when I like!
snow report
Quote:

Planning on a fullish day of skiing on the last day and missing the traffic hopefully.

A very good idea, though needs some organising if you have to be out of apartment by 10 am. Should be a nice quiet day, then get a few hours north on the Saturday night, easy journey home Sunday.
snow report
If you're going via the Lac Lémain(Lake Geneva) area, then a direct route is via Besançon and Pontarlier to Lausanne. We've stayed in the old Besançon centre, which is worth a visit, although parking may not be as straightforward. Be aware that the budget hotels are on the industrial outskirts and it rather negates the point of visiting if you stay outside the city centre.

Like other posters, I can recommend Le Val Moret, which is a 3* motel just off the South Troyes junction 22 on the A5 so easy to find. It has an indoor pool and sauna, and you can easily drive into Troyes from there: http://www.le-val-moret.com/en/ It has a really nice but unpretentious reataurant that's well worth using, and it's in the southern Champagne area, so there are lots of nice fizzy choices - a nice way to start a holiday. Just avoid the marinaded pig's colon sausage (Veritable Andouillette de Troyes), unless you have a stong constitution, no sense of smell, and a liking for offal.
ski holidays
Laughing on the Andouillette. My OH insisted on trying it despite my warnings.... One of the few times I saw him leave food on the plate. The Val Moret is pleasant and convenient but not a budget option.
ski holidays
We stayed at the Val Moret on the way back last Saturday night. It's very convenient and the food was excellent (and yes I had the Andouillette and yes I did leave a bit although it was very good). Their cheese starter (done 4 ways) was the star dish.
snow report
That time of year again !! Trips booked and overnights to sort out. Does anyone have any new recommendations?

We recently stayed at the Hotel Pot d'Etain in Holnon, just outside St Quentin. Nice rooms, very reasonably priced and a good restaurant. Similar setup to Val Moret, and a short distance from junction 10 of A26 http://www.lepotdetain.fr/fr/

We also stayed in the Hotel Belle Epoque in Beaune . Private parking and lovely courtyard rooms, although breakfast was a bit pricey. http://www.hotel-belleepoque-beaune.com/en/home-hotel-belle-epoque-beaune.html
snow report
We have stayed in this lovely apartment in Dijon. Very central with lots of restaurants nearby and street parking outside. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187111-d1751225-Reviews-or10-Appartements_a_Part-Dijon_Cote_d_Or_Burgundy.html#REVIEWS
snow report
@Hells Bells, Where did we all stop over on that drive down to the Off Piste bash a couple of years ago ?

Any other suggestions - I see this is from 07.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy