Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to alps - stops en-route

Poster: A snowHead
IBIS
nuits st georges, quite good value....after all its only an overnight stop....and the reaturants in the area seem quite good!
and its not flipping miles off your route Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bumped this back up as I have a dilemma. We have to be in Reading on Thurs 6th, as it is our youngest son's 21st birthday. We have out apartment rented out until Sunday, so have two days (Fri and Sat) to kill before we get to SC. We have no ski gear to go elsewhere on the way Sad, as it is all in our cave. Any suggestions for Saturday night within a couple of hours drive? We can access the store room on Sun am without disturbing the guests.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in Reims on our way home on Sat night in a 'Suite Novotel' and it was excellent choice for anyone wanting to sleep 2 children in with adults - free internet and choice of films on tv kept kids very happy and good choice of eating places within 10 mins walk. Far, far better pit-stop than hotel on industrial estate near Troyes which was my choice year before!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, Hi I stayed a few years back at the Ibis hotel on the business estate just off the autoroute on the way out of Reims in a northerly direction. The rooms were modern and the hotel welcoming. Possibly cheaper than the Novotel and absolutrely fine for your overnight stop. Ibis have a central reservation system as do many of the hotel groups. I suspect the hotel was on a franchise and the staff were clearly set on giving a decent service.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd started a thread about accommodation http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1787072#1787072

but I've now been pointed back here.

Does anyone wave recent experience of accommodation en-route to the French alps that you can recommend?

I've stayed in the Etap in Albertville on several occasions, and found it more than adequate. Twin beds or double with an over head bunk. £30 to £35 per room if you book early enough. Clean rooms, large car park, and a basic continental breakfast available.

One reply, in the other thread was...

Higs wrote:
We stayed here on the way down last year: http://www.logis-aux-maisons.com/uk/

Hotel is fine (nice, basic and clean), the restaurant was very good - interesting regional French cuisine.

We have 4 or more hours of driving in the UK before we even get to the tunnel so Troyes is about as far as we like to drive. The only disadvantage about this place is that it's off the beaten track and there's a good half hour of wasted driving getting from/to the autoroute.

We drove past another Logis place (http://www.le-val-moret.com/uk/) that looked like it was in a better place and may try that one next year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FraserP, we tend to use the Accor chain if we can as they often have reasonable rates for a family room and a cancellation without penalty policy of up to 6pm usually on day of arrival which is very useful in case of unforeseen travel problems or you find you can actually get into your accommodation a night early at the last minute Very Happy . Also they have a loyalty scheme which is ok.

In the past two years we have used the Ibis Troyes centre several times, winter and summer, good big secure underground parking (though there is a height restriction, estate with topbox ok, MPV/4X4 with top box not ok), family rooms, good breakfast, great coffee with takeaway coffee cups for one for the road Smile

Also the Etap Lyon Isle'd Abeau, does what it says on the tin, prefer Ibis though for usually just a few quid extra.

The Hotel Terminus, Moutiers, basic but friendly, clean and comfy. Very convenient for early morning dash up the hill.

This year we went to the 4 Vallees and stayed at the Novotel Lausanne Bussigny, which was good, restaurant very nice, free cuddly toys for kids Laughing and it was well placed near to a large Centre Commercial for picking up any last minute bits.

Also stayed in the Ibis Calais Tunnel ready for an early return train. Again does what it says on the tin.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed in the Logis de France near Troyes called Le Val Moret the other week mentioned in FraserP's post above and it was very nice. Literally just off the autoroute A5 J27 past the toll booth then immediately turn left. Surrounded by green lush fields in a quiet spot despite its proximity to the motorway. The 3 course evening meal was delicious even though I found a hair in it Skullie (although that could happen anywhere), the room and dinner was 89 Euro for a Friday night I think so not toooooo bad considering the quality of the food for a single room with double bed and just turning up ad hoc (I didn't pre-book). Lovely surroundings and the rooms are outside in little chalets. There is parking onsite although not that much and the lady at reception said it would be ok for me to leave all my gear in the car instead of lugging it all inside the room. It was ok too, no problems leaving the stuff in the car.

One thing I would say is that the bed was the most uncomfortable bleeding bed I'd ever slept in, it was like sleeping in the inside of a toilet roll tube. Mind you, after a long drive you're mostly tired enough to sleep ok regardless.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh and on the way back I used the Mercure at Lyon South and that had secure outside parking with CCTV, was nice and quiet and the room was massive with free Wifi. Would definitely recommend the Mercure as I've stayed with them before as well but in Reims. Again I just rocked up and got a room and it wasn't the cheapest like but the quality was definitely there. They sorted me out with an evening food platter which was huge with plenty of food to last for breakfast too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would second the Val Moret. I've stayed there a number of times (and found the beds OK, maybe I have low standards!). It's like an American motel and I've never had a problem with parking. I can leave Oxford about 9, drive to Dover and be there about 5 in the evening - nice meal & kip and reach resort lunchtime the next day, all very civilised.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hotel Athena, Brides-les-Bains a delightful little hotel in an equally delightful village - near Moutiers, but a much nicer place. An excellent find by holidayloverxx.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On our two recent trips we've used some old favourites, and found some new ones.

Auberge de Moissons in Matougues, nears Chalons-en-Champagne is becoming a firm favourite. Logis de France place with a great restaurant. Half-board option with set menu, large double room (some with both bath and shower). Rooms are comfortable, modern and clean. Great breakfast with bacon and scrambled eggs.

Have also recently used Logis Bagatelle in Dizy, just outside of Epernay. Rooms are small, and it's in an odd location behind an industrial estate. Food is good, half-board option reasonably priced and rooms although small are comfortable. They also had complimentary champagne on the breakfast buffet, which was very good, with fresh cheeses, eggs, meats etc.

And the Ibis hotels in Calais:- Tunnel one is modern, very comfortable, but restaurant service is appaling. Would possibly head over to the Cité de Europe if we stayed there again. Ferry one is older, rooms not so good, but bar and restaurant is better. Ibis all seem to do a good breakfast buffet though.

Anyone wanting an early start from Eurotunnel Folkestone should use the Holiday Inn Express, free breakfast, comfy beds, and large rooms. Staff are very friendly, esp Taff, the welsh night manager who was still laughing and joking at 7am the next morning after a lond nightshift.
We then drove to Brides-Les-Bains to the Hotel Athena before heading up the Val Thorens the following morning.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not a hotel but I had a rather civilised meal on the Sea France ferry on the way back too. Not wanting to get into the self service queue I was not going to bother with getting food on the ferry but then stumbled across a practically empty restaurant upstairs with a 2 course meal on for £17. Worth it just to get away from the hoards and have a meal in a bit of peace and quiet. The food was surprisingly good too, I had a leek pie for starter followed by a steak with all the trimmings for the main. Made the drive back from Dover quite nice as a result.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, if we go by ferry that is what we do too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, I must say although it takes longer of course I prefer the ferry because you do feel like you've had a break before setting off again. I don't like the bit when everyone queues up to get back to their cars though! I just wait until the masses have dispersed, it's not as if you can go anywhere until the person in front has returned to their car anyway.

Like you, I've had enough by time I get to Troyes as I'll have set off at 9am that morning and it will be getting on for about 6pm by time I'm in the Troyes area if not a bit later. Last time I stopped in Reims but found the onward drive to Troyes (especially as the Val Moret is further on from Troyes) just a little bit too far after driving all day. I might try that one you mention another time, (if I ever do it again!) the Auberge de Moissons near Chalons-en-Champagne as that's not much further than Reims I see.

I went the wrong way slightly on the way back and stumbled across an Ibis in a town called Vienne I think, it was right by a beautiful waterside area and noticed it had underground parking. Thought that might be a goer another time although that's South of Lyon so might be a bit far for some.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5, the Moissons is very easy to find too. Vienne is definitely out of the way . I'm busy looking for hotels for our summer trip at the moment.
latest report
Hells Bells, I don't know if I got to the town of Vienne itself but the Ibis wasn't far from the autoroute and it didn't take me long to get back on track. It was dark too but riverside looked stunning with all the lights and everything.
ski holidays
OK, doing our bookings for the summer holiday , has anyone any new little gems to share?
latest report
Fuel is cheap in Luxembourg, I think it is a taxation issue. (it was cheap the last time I was passing through)

rolling eyes
latest report
Bigtipper, too far out of our way to make it worthwhile to make the detour though. Journey is long enough.
ski holidays
A couple of new additions to add to the list following our summer trip.

Ibis Epernay Centre Ville. Clean modern and spacious rooms with very comfortable beds. The only chain we have stayed in regularly, and this one is very good. This is in a quiet square just behind the covered market in the centre of town. Easy walk to several reasonably priced brasseries and not too far from the Avenue de Champagne. Good breakfast for 7€ . Prepaid in advance for 50€ per room. Secure underground carpark (ok for X-trail with roof box) so you don't need to completely unpack. You need an access code to reenter carpark.

Prim'Hotel Bagatelle, Dizy. On the outskirts of Epernay in a quiet area behind the BMW garage. Good reasonably priced restaurant, and good breakfast buffet. Half-board rate of 98€ for a double room.
latest report
Hells Bells, perfect!
snow report
For anyone wanting to splurge en-route to celebrate a birthday, anniversary etc etc (or just be plain extravagant), Chateau d'Etoges is a little way of the autoroute from Epernay, but well worth it. Beautiful chateau, moat, swans, etc etc . Best in summer to enjoy the surroundings, but in winter there are often lower room prices. If you like their Facebook page, there is a discount code. Recommended to me originally (I think) by [/b]CEM[/b] as a treat for my broken hubby. If you have an Aston Martin to accompany you up the driveway all the better.
snow conditions
We stayed in Troyes last year, we managed to get a room at the Ibis in the town centre after midnight on the 30th December without booking first. Not sure if that counts as 'pleasant' but it was clean and adequate and, most importantly for us, quick to get to from the motorway and had a secure underground carpark (we had a car full of expensive gear.) The town centre looked nice enough. For something a bit more upmarket, I've heard good things about the Chateau de Courcelles in Epernay.
latest report
We will be gracing the Bagatelle with our presence on our outward trip in December, but need to sort out the return trip soon.
ski holidays
Just booked "http://www.premiereclasse.com/hotel/en/france/champagne-ardenne/marne/chalons-en-champagne.htm. "
I recon about 2 hours from tunnel,?
looks clean and cheap, will arive late on a Friday, sleep and go...
snow conditions
Harrim - I think you will find chalons en champagne is more like 3 hours from the tunnel. Depends how fast you drive I suppose. Toofy Grin I think Reims was around 2 1/2 hrs from the tunnel and Chalons a little further on.

By the way does anyone know how/why chalons sur marne turned into chalons en champagne? I'm sure it used to be called chalons sur marne when I lived in Reims in the early 90s. Puzzled
ski holidays
harrim51, definitely more than 2. I reckon that an 8.30 departure from Chalons gets us to Calais by about 11.15. snowymum, I'm sure it was until more recently too. Perhaps it was to distinguish it from the Chalons sur Saone further south, I've heard of a few people booking hotels in the wrong town.
latest report
Ah thanks, and I forgot +1 hour time...
Never mind eh, less time to St Foye on Saturday...
Go on, tell me I wont make it for tea? Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

tell me I wont make it for tea?

harrim51, that depends. Which Saturday?
latest report
1/2 Term, 11th Feb...Ahh
ski holidays
Stop on route? Madness. Drive flat out and ski more Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Well we like the F1 Chambery Nord Shocked Shocked

Why

Cheap
Actually very quiet
Right next to a big super u ( cheap wine and diesel)
Little bar on corner 2 mins walk
Nice Restaurant 10 mins walk

We go early on a Friday morning, usually make Chambery by 1500-1600 on Friday afternoon, go to Super U, top up on Diesel and Cheap Wine ( Their 5 and 10 litre Merlot is particularly quaffable )
Little bar for a sherbert
10 min walk to restaurant for food and drink
Bed by 2300, up early with a two hour drive into resort

Simples wink wink
ski holidays
mcspreader wrote:
Stop on route? Madness. Drive flat out and ski more Twisted Evil

Would Love to but we live in Malvern and our 11 year old will start at the m25 " Are we nearly there yet"
snow conditions
harrim51, what are your timings on the tunnel? It's probably 3 and a half hours to Chalons, (assuming no traffic holdups which is a big assumption at half term) so you'll need to stop for a break/change drivers/pee, meaning around 4 hours from driving off the train at Calais - plus the extra hour for changing to French time.

The roads will be very busy on Saturday - the journey will inevitably be a bit slower than you might hope, even if the weather is on your side. Tea time might be a tad optimistic.
ski holidays
pam w Thanks, we have an open booking for the tunnel, ( I am a worry guts so couldn’t stand the stress!!!)
Having had all this help I think we will ask to take my daughter out of school at lunch time and leave then. I am reckoning on 4.5h to tunnel so 1800/1900 train?
I hope to get an early start on the Saturday, hoping about an 8h drive from Chalons to S-F all being well?
Have just started putting Harry Potter books (read by another SF) on an iPod for the trip...I think that’s about a week of audio so should be enough!!!
Once again THANKS.
ski holidays
When I drive down I stay at a vineyard just outside Reims called Mont d'Or (I think it's also the name for the locale as well). It's a working Champagne producer with a sideline in funky, individual rooms (I think they do small conferences as well). It's well worth a stay but you need to book with them. Upisde - they will open their wine shop for you on request!! The Ville next door also produces my favourite small producer Champagne so it's hard to stay anywhere else ....
snow report
Margate can be quite nice this time of year Laughing
latest report
Stopping in Arras tomorrow night for the first time. Any nice restaurants in there on the main(only?) street?
latest report
When we drive to the north alps - Morzine, Chamonix, Verbier we stay at a Logis - Family run hotels - Hotel Val Moret at Magnant is south of Troyes and right next to the motorway. about 3.5 hrs from Calais and 4 hours from the slopes. - half way - About 80-90 Euros per room and a great restaurant.
latest report
Hells Bells, and there was a tiny restaurant on the square in Nuits St Georges which I went to years ago where the owner announced after we'd finished our 6 course menu and commented on how fabulous it was that the chef had trained at a small restaurant in London called Le Gavroche...sadly the chef has probably moved on but a happy memory!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy