Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1.2M Brits / 2% of Population Went Skiing & Boarding in 2006 / 7 Season

Poster: A snowHead
Bode Swiller wrote:
boredsurfin, what is an actualite?

Reality, topicality, also as in the phrase to be economical with the actualite. (There should be a grave over the e but I dunno how to do it!)
That should bring the pedants running with corrections Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin wrote:
.......(There should be a grave over the e but I dunno how to do it!)
That should bring the pedants running with corrections Very Happy

Ahem. Actualité - e acute not e grave. Atl+0233 gets it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles,
Quote:

That should bring the pedants running with corrections

Good Morning and thank you Toofy Grin Very Happy but also, was my definition correct?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 8-08-07 8:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller wrote:
the report says there's around a million low cost flights to ski airports (presumably Geneva, Zurich, Turin, Munich, Salzburg, Bergamo, Lyon etc etc). If you assume that the majority of indy skiers fly these days and use low cost, are they really saying that perhaps 20-30% of the occupants on these flights are all skiers and boarders? All a bit far fetched to me.

It's all a bit far-fetched , the whole thing is based upon 'major' assumptions. We really shouldn't be getting excited one way or the other ... it's only a Tour Operator talking up their business based upon fallacious numbers. They've under-estimated the effect of "independent travel' on their businesses for over 10 years .... bit late to rectify that mistake now !

Quote:
Anyway I concluded that it isn't a proper industry

Sorry, I have to take umbrage on that point

arrgghhh
Quote:
Anyway I concluded that it isn't a proper industry report (well, not like any from any other industry I've seen) and that's because there is no substantive vital statistics..

It's so more to difficult to quantify ....a marketeer's dream Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin wrote:
achilles,
Quote:

That should bring the pedants running with corrections

Good Morning and thank you Toofy Grin Very Happy but also, was my definition correct?

I think so. Don't have my English-French dictionary to hand to be absolutely sure.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I drove twice last season via Eurotunnel (and went by coach once) - the first time driving down through France in the middle of Friday night Brits with ski boxes made up more than half the private cars for the first 300 miles! This must make up substantial numbers of which Crystal has no information about - and as we book accomodation direct as well that will not be traceable to the UK industry.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Brits with ski boxes made up more than half the private cars for the first 300 miles!

A whopping 80% of Eurotunnel traffic is British!
Source
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
gwaelod, the report says there's around a million low cost flights to ski airports (presumably Geneva, Zurich, Turin, Munich, Salzburg, Bergamo, Lyon etc etc). If you assume that the majority of indy skiers fly these days and use low cost, are they really saying that perhaps 20-30% of the occupants on these flights are all skiers and boarders? All a bit far fetched to me.

That seems on the low side to me, although a fewe of the "ski" airports will also have significant other traffic evne at that time of year. But some of them will be more like 80-90% snowsports travellers.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In summary. You either believe the report or you don't Very Happy

It is a very interesting report but personally I think their reporting of the growth of the 'Independent Traveller' is very much underplayed and their numbers are wrong.

If you believe them I am really pleased for you. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:

A whopping 80% of Eurotunnel traffic is British!
Source

Why do you think the French were so keen on building it...

same with the ferries... !!

They earn a fortune out of it..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, "A whopping 80% of Eurotunnel traffic is British!"

Is that in one direction? or both?

Going to have to weigh in on the crap statistics view. Of a year spent commuting last year, between May and December oddly enough virtually none of my fellow flyers on the Friday night were skiers, where as between December and April about 90% were skiers. Not captured in the Crystal stats.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Is that in one direction? or both?

Don't most folk go there and back from either side? Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stoatsbrother wrote:
Whitegold, so you work for Crystal?

I have no connections with Crystal.

Until a better quantitative report turns up, Crystal remains the UK ski industry benchmark.

Not a bunch of dweebs spouting off qualitative nonsense just for the sake of a bit of leader-bashing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

spouting off qualitative nonsense

Not something you'd dream of stooping to, evidently. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitegold, I thought Bode implied he knew you did work for Crystal - sorry if I got this wrong.

In my business we like to see slightly better evidence and better data collection before we make statements about how wonderful we are and how the competitors (LoCos in this scenario) are pile of poop. And none of us seem very convinced by their independent traveller numbers. Not sure I buy the benchmark business either. The lack of anything better doesn't mean it is worth a fig.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
stoatsbrother wrote:
Whitegold, so you work for Crystal?

I have no connections with Crystal.

Until a better quantitative report turns up, Crystal remains the UK ski industry benchmark.

Not a bunch of dweebs spouting off qualitative nonsense just for the sake of a bit of leader-bashing.

Sorry I have responded. I would like to see quantative proof as to how they came to the 'independent traveller' figure. Until they do, you can throw insults but I am entitled to question it for the reasons I have outlined Puzzled
snow conditions
gwaelod, I wouldn't worry - A dweeb is normally someone very studious and very well qualified and probably doing very well for themselves. If Whitegold doesn't work for Crystal then I'm amazed at his loyalty towards their flawed report. Interestingly, when Martin Bell first posted it up on 20/7 Whitegold didn't comment on it at all yet was posting on other stuff at the same time (that's me being a proper dweeb). So why the sudden vigorous defence?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
gwaelod, I wouldn't worry - A dweeb is normally someone very studious and very well qualified and probably doing very well for themselves. If Whitegold doesn't work for Crystal then I'm amazed at his loyalty towards their flawed report. Interestingly, when Martin Bell first posted it up on 20/7 Whitegold didn't comment on it at all yet was posting on other stuff at the same time (that's me being a proper dweeb). So why the sudden vigorous defence?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Quote:
But as the number one market-leader, it is apparent that Crystal has good insight into the market.
Shame they don't bother to respond to customer complaints sent directly to their MD Mr Stuart McLeod. Who passes it on to his customer services manager on 4th July. Who then writes to say it will take 28 days to look into it !!!!!!!!! from 10th July. Time was up today - heard nothing.

They won't be market leaders for much longer if this is how much they value customers. And think their insight may be bolstered by their own brovado.

Rant over.

Mutter mutter - Crystal blech. Glad we've booked with Inghams for this season.
ski holidays
Quote:
Crystal remains the UK ski industry benchmark.

That's a real shame you feel that. There are much better companies out there that don't blow their own trumpets.
snow report
bhmandminx, out of sheer noseyness, what was your complaint?
ski holidays
Booked a package with them. Arrived at Denver after a 10 hour flight and had to wait 2 and a half hours at the airport to catch a public shuttle bus for our 4 to 5 hour transfer to Aspen. The Colorado Mountain Express only goes from Denver to Aspen every 3 hours apparantly. Crystal ground reps said this was the only available option!!!!! Had the same on our return - picked up from our hotel 10 hours before our flight back. So 5 hours on a bus, 5 hours in Denver airport and 10 hours on a plane. Lovely.
No prior communication about this, just told when we arrived. Very poor if this is all they could come up with having had all season to sort it out ( we went end of season). We felt that as it was just 2 of us it would have been too costly for them to charter a private transfer so this is what they thought would do. Obviously I'm summizing as they haven't bothered to respond yet. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
bhmandminx, Ok, I guess they should have told you (and responded sooner) but Aspen is where it is and not very convenient from anywhere. CME is the best option in my view (unless you want to pay extra and endure the bumpiest flight in history in a small commuter turbo prop - and you would have had to wait for that too). Sorry, but I'd say they got you there and back successfully and I can't see where your issue is. As for the early pick up... I70 can get horribly snarled up so they did the right thing in getting you away.

Please note... I don't work for Crystal, my name isn't Stuart McLeod and I don't drive a CME minibus wink
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, Had there been a party of 6 of us do you think they'd have told all that they'd have to wait 2 and a half hours at the airport before even starting their onward transfer ( CEM leave at 12/3pm/6pm/9pm etc - we cleared customs at 3.30pm). Probably not - they'd have sorted out something else. They should have told us as forwarned is forarmed and we'd have been prepared for it. Everyone else from our flight got on buses for their respective resorts (most via I70) and left.

You arrive knowing that you have a long transfer (and the I70 was treacherous that night) so you just want to get on with it and get there, get unpacked and head off 1st thing Very Happy . We were really p***ed off. Sad

Had I organised it myself I would have been prepared for and known about the wait, and would probably have used CEM or hired a car.

You do not expect that from a package and a TO that states "we are proud of our waiting times at overseas airports with almost all transfers departing within 30 minutes of the first guests embarking". More Crystal ****.

I know they got us there and back but it was not what we expected or have recieved from TO package holidays in the past, and was very dissapointing. We felt penalised as there was only the 2 of us travelling to Aspen and sure it would be different for a larger group. I wanted them in my complaint to inform their customers/guests of the facts. Be upfront and tell them there may be a delay with their transfer making it 7 - 8 hours if this really was the norm. The 07/8 brochure still states a 4-5 hour transfer.

Still it taught us a lesson and next time we do Colorado we will do it indepentantly. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

The 07/8 brochure still says 4-5 hour transfer
it is. Hey, DIA is an OK airport to hang around in. I like that wildlife photographic shop with prints of tigers for $5k.

Anyway, and more importantly, your contribution means we've found 2 Crystal customers - only 159,998 to go.
snow report
bhmandminx,
Quote:

Glad we've booked with Inghams for this season

I don't think I'm going to tell you the sorry tale of an Inghams transfer from Morzine to Geneva (not difficult, you would think!) some eighteen months ago. rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Hurtle, If you go independent at least you've only got yourself to blame. "Dear Me, I'm writing to complain about the conduct and efficiency of your rep (ie Me) etc"
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Hurtle, If you go independent at least you've only got yourself to blame. "Dear Me, I'm writing to complain about the conduct and efficiency of your rep (ie Me) etc"

No thats when wife starts to blame husband, husband starts to blame wife Sad Sad ...long journey home Skullie Skullie

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, Thanks for that great insight. There were good reasons for not going independent on that occasion.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:

Anyway, and more importantly, your contribution means we've found 2 Crystal customers - only 159,998 to go.

Found 9 more. Me wife, friend, his wife and 5 kids. Through Esprit. But me and the wife did go 'independent' as well. so 2 of the 356,000 found only 355998 to go snowHead
snow report
We should do a snowheads poll and compare the percentages to Crystals report Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
gwaelod, Sage, actually, all this raises an interesting point... the title of the thread says 1.2 million PEOPLE, I think they mean 1.2 million TRIPS... which may equate to say 800,000 people. Some go multiple times each season, loads go three times, a huge number go twice, majority go once.
snow report
Bode Swiller, To be fair the 'report' says visits or trips. The nonsense and the % of population was created by the author of this post; but it also , inter alia, should prove to you that he/she is not, as he/she has said, a Crytal employee.
ski holidays
Quote:

inter alia
I flew with them to Turin once. Great airline.

I'm passed caring who he/she is/was.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy