Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How would Wengen be for Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I know nobody can predict the snow, but having heard so much about the place we really want to give that Jungfrau area a go. Advice appreciated before we go book.

We intend to book with a major operator as that is usually best for Christmas. I have no flexibility about dates. After the sybaritic, not to say hedonistic delights of the EosB, Bev wants a place with hot water bubbling after skiing, or at least a pool.

The Sunstar places at Grindlewald and Wengen appeal to me as they don't charge a single supplement so Jon gets his own room without financial pain, though cost is not of great importance. I am a teacher you know, so this will make a change from having to flush the loo with champagne to use up excess salary.

So, any thoughts on hotels with pools? Any recommendations?

Grindlewald or Wengen? Jon will be 18 then and will want to get to bars with young people in them.

Don't want to have to carry skis too far, even if they are new, bright orange RX8s in my case or High Society in Jons.

How easily can you get around the area? Is it realistic to get up to Murren to ski on an short December day? (and back of course.)

I know there are hectares of info on this area but I spent about an hour reading the Junfrau thread last night and lost patience with trying to filter out info from the banter. (Nothing wrong with banter BTW!) (It is just that I am on dial-up at present!)

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris Bish, IME Grindelwald was a lot livelier of a night. Murren was a trek from the Grindelwald side, and we never got over there, but saying that we only did a long weekend. Sunstar was very near the Grindelwald First Cable Car, if you wanted to do the Wengen side, that would be a 10 minutes or so walk thru the village to the train station.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Bish, Sunstar in Wengen is very nice, also it's right in the middle of the village so very convenient for both the cablecar (on the other side of the road) and the station (2 minute walk away). Wengen doesn't have incredible nightlife but it does have some, I'm sure if you asked Stab on the Jungfrau region thread he'd be able to give advice as to the best locations as he does some dj work there.

Trips to Murren or Grindelwald are easy enough from Wengen though it's worth checking the weather in the morning before going up to Piz Gloria as the cable car gets disrupted by high winds
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Good stuff and confirming my view that Wengen is more central. I spoke to linds earlier and she said much the same thing. Thanks for the views on Sunstar. It does seem nice in the brochures.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Bish,

If you want to ski the whole area, stay in Wengen. Night life is not as copious as Grindelwald, but there's enough of it to keep your son happy. I have had many many a fun drunken night in Wengen (I'm 27). I was in Wengen for Christmas last year and the snow was not great - but last year it was poor everywhere. I've skied there the week before Christmas many times, and there is normally plenty of snow. I've not stayed at the Sunstar, but it is extremely well located (less than 5 mins to both train station and cable car) and people I know who've stayed there have liked it.

Selina
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I was in Wengen for Christmas last year and the snow was not great

the week before xmas around the 18th was awesome though Very Happy

I wouldn't stay in Grumbleweed, queues for the First lift get crazy and on weekends it's the main place people head for as you can get the car up to the lift. The sunstar is a decent bet, you can spit at the lift from there, be on it early or after 10:30, once the masses and club med hordes have been up. Most of them come down for lunch so from 11:30 to 1ish it gets a lot quieter on mannlichen, also most people work their way around to scheidegg in the afternoon. Or get your ass to scheidegg early and work around the mountain backwards, lauberhorn/wixi - fallboden - salzegg - honegg - tschuggen - lager - mannlichen. Normally quieter doing that route as it's t bars for the connecting runs back to mannlichen, or at least it was, this year the t bars are being replaced Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf wrote:
I'm sure if you asked Stab on the Jungfrau region thread he'd be able to give advice as to the best locations as he does some dj work there.

Laughing I've given up on educating the masses on music around here. It's either bloody RnB or 80s stadium rock imo.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Bish, which TO are you using and are you flying into Berne ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spend every Xmas in Wengen and it's a great place to spend the festive season. The Sunstar is really nice and has a good pool. Never had a snow-less xmas in the last 17 years, but no guarantees! Access to Murren & Grindelwald is dead easy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab,

They're replacing Honegg and Tschuggen? Oh no, love those lifts!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will they be upgrading any lifts/pistes in Grindelwald this sesaon ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, Only Honegg (6 seater with covers). Along with a new piste through the valley between Lauberhorn and Tschuggen mountaintops.

I talked to some Jungfraubahnen dude on the Fallboden (plenty of time) in my excessively good Puzzled german...
What I understood Tschuggen drag is not going to be changed, nor did he know a lot about it, i got impression its owned independendly... (Although I regularly see GGM Mannlichenbahn shirts there)

D G Orf, You're SOOOO slow.... 2 minutes from Sunstar to the cablecar.... I needed about 23 seconds..

stab, How about the Grund queues? I never been there in mornings, so I have no idea.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for very useful info. If we decide on the Sunstar at Wengen. which is looking good from all accounts, we will probably be with Inghams, who do fly to Berne.

Still open to suggestions and offers.......

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ronald, no I said under 2 minutes to the railway station, I'd have said under 30 seconds to the cablecar if I'd given a time Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ronald wrote:
What I understood Tschuggen drag is not going to be changed, nor did he know a lot about it, i got impression its owned independendly... (Although I regularly see GGM Mannlichenbahn shirts there)

The lift system is jungfraubahnen owned but some lifts are privately owned but included in the lift pass, lauberhorn and arven are two of them.

This summer they have ripped open lauberhorn and layed pipes in for the new cannons, as well as honegg. At fallboden there is already a huge hole for the new reservoir, I have some pictures somewhere on my phone but I'm a slacker and can't be bothered to find them.

Quote:
stab, How about the Grund queues? I never been there in mornings, so I have no idea.

Mental, that's why holenstein is always closed in high season, there just arent any empty gondolas coming up.
snow conditions
Chris Bish wrote:

Still open to suggestions and offers.......

snowHead

Victoria Lauberhorn is popular, and i think is blessed with the most expansive swimming and bubbling. (which is also open to the public, for something like 15 pounds)

Not sure the Silberhorn has all that much of the worldpool jazz and Eiger is even less sure with me.
ski holidays
I have stayed many times in the Sunstar in Wengen and it is fine. Good bar and lovely barman. There is a live local band once a week. The pool is great too. The Tanne bar is literally opposite the hotel entrance and very popular with the young and locals. I would only book on a B & B basis. The difference in price between that and half board is minimal and it is fun to go out and eat in other places. The Baren Hotel, the Eiger Hotel and Da Sina's Italian restaurant are all excellent. You can also take the last train up to Wengenalp and have a fondue at the Jungfrau Hotel and ski home preferably in a full moon. Tobogganing is also very popular. Everything is in walking distance and everyone speaks English.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:
......I have had many many a fun drunken night in Wengen (I'm 27).....

But you only look 21 wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
When we pop over from Murren for the day we have eaten at Da Sina's Italian restaurant as the food is very good
ski holidays
Thanks for all the information folks, Sunstar in Wengen via Inghams looks favourite at the moment - although I suppose we could use our BA vouchers and try to book it independently. Trouble is they only seem to like flying out of London now. Sad
ski holidays
Got mildly confused in Thomas Cook's today (are you there Kate????) and booked Feb half term in Arabba, so the Dolomites are on the menu for next year. Well, makes a change from the 3V and they wil still be there next year. So Xmas is still open to negotiation. Wengen is still high on the list, but with the doubts about snow after last year, we are not rushing at present.

(Kate is the manager of our local Thomas Cook and has got into skiing after my malign influence. I hope she signs up as a snowHead soon!)

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
Wengen is still high on the list, but with the doubts about snow after last year, we are not rushing at present.

I had 128 days on the mountain last winter, 100 and something last year and the same the year before, snow is not a doubt, good off piste is always hit and miss though.
latest report
stab, I will be very surprised if we are not in Wengen for Christmas, and I hope yu will be able to fix Jon up with some appropriate music experiences (how are you on Muse?). I'm just trying to work out why Inghams are about £130 dearer tha Crystal for the same hotel etc.

snowHead
ski holidays
because crystal will probably stick you in the broom cupboard.
snow report
stab, Laughing

And forget to send the bus!

snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, I have stayed several times in Wengen, at various hotels, and what I say is skip the Sunstar. We stayed a week there, and the food was marginal. I highly recommend the Regina - small rooms but great hotel and sensational food. But definitely stay in Wengen...more more festive, starting with no autos and a real village feel. John.
ski holidays
Quote:

skip the Sunstar. We stayed a week there, and the food was marginal. I highly recommend the Regina - small rooms but great hotel and sensational food

Seconded. The Sunstar's pool is nice though.
latest report
JohnnyC, you don't happen to have tried the Sunstar in Klosters Dorf, have you? I'm going there in January and am hoping the food is OK!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, No, I haven't been to the Sunstar in Klosters Dorf. Once at Sunstar was enough for me! Now that I think back to my episode in Wengen at the Sunstar, the other issue I had with them was that my wife and I signed up for a junior suite, with the intention of really doing this trip right, and upon arrival we were given a 'family room' which was essentially a room and a loft with a bathroom so small two people couldn't be in it at the same time without whacking the other one with the door which swung in. And to think I paid extra for that privilege! No more Sunstar for me. JC.
snow report
JohnnyC, Sad
snow conditions
Hurtle, I would be very surprised if issues with one carry over to issues with others. I would imagine the Klosters Dorf Sunstar would be just fine.
snow report
Still hanging on before booking anything, so all this info is useful to me thanks!

snowHead
snow report
Any views on the Silberhorn then? OK, no pool, but it does have a whirlpool, which would probaly suit the requirements of one who has been spoilt rotten by the extremes of luxury I have heard you get on snowHeads bashes. not that I am jealous at all, he lied.

It also does single rooms so Jon gets a cheaper option.

snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Chris Bish, tell me to shut up but .... isn't Wengen a bit low for an early xmas booking ? If you want Swiss with epic scenery, food and a much higher ski area (inc glacier), have you thought about Zermatt ?
snow report
The attraction of Wengen is that I have always wanted to go there and Bev will almost certainly be off there for the mid season Bash. Zermatt for Christmas might well be nice and I haven't ruled it out. Saas Fee might even be in there, but it looks a bit of a small resort. Already booked for Feb half-term, but shilly-shallying around over Christmas.

snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Oh well, don't get me wrong, Wengen is very pretty and the Eiger etc. are stunning (but not as much as the Matterhorn etc) and the snow will probably be fine but Zermatt would be much more sure of that.
snow report
And there are some tempting offers for Zermatt too. Got me thinking now...

snowHead
snow conditions
brian, in general you may just be right... but there is a big but:

All but a few (Gummi Nord, Oh God... not the slopes for the faint of heart) of Wengens slopes are on alpine pasture and therefor need little snow. The rumours in the village during last X-mas were about that we were one of the least bad resorts of the alps. Now thats a rumour I was unable to verify, i can just say we were not bad at all Wink

D G Orf once wrote: Wengen never let me down either before X-mas or after easter, and he is about as close to furniture there as it gets.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Ronald, a fair point.
snow conditions
I'm sure both Wengen and Zermatt will be great. Just need to find water for Bev and a single room for Jon. Once we have made our minds up that is!

snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy