Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Money!

Poster: A snowHead
I know this is an off-piste post, but.... well, give me a yellow card (it's a deliberate offence anyway) Wink

Since starting the Race forum now linked to SnowHeads, I realise just how time-consuming the admin side is. But if running something that is tiny in comparison to snowHeads keeps you busier than you'd think possible, how much time must U have to do a proper job earning money?

The thread on donations over on 'Suggestions' has been viewed over 200 times now. I shouldn't perhaps be saying this, but I don't think there's been a donation since.

The Paypal system is an easy system to use, secure. A lot of people get a great deal of fun and pleasure from this forum, and I know U would appreciate a bit of "support" at the moment, even if he won't come out and say so himself! How much are all 850+ snowHeads going to spend on our next holiday in the snow? £500K? £800K? Closer to a million?

So to those who can afford a couple of quid... ... please help!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 13-10-04 6:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, well done! I agree with you entirely.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG, I view my donation as an annual subscription. I paid up earlier this year and will do so again when the season proper begins. (I'll wait until my title changes back to being a normal user and will use that as a prompt to make a further donation).

I know this place is free but it provides much amusement and even some useful info, and so I think it is worth a donation (speaking from my own personal circumstances - wouldn't want anyone to feel obligated)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG

Well said.

I am one of those who stayed on the fence and eventually came down to use Paypal and did my share. It is important that we all participate to make this a great site for "ourselves". A few quid is all it take to participate.

I shall renew my donation this year too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yup with on that PG.

Well done U

maybe those without Paypal may send a cheque if there was an address
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG wrote:

Since starting the Race forum now linked to SnowHeads, I realise just how time-consuming the admin side is. But if running something that is tiny in comparison to snowHeads keeps you busier than you'd think possible, how much time must U have to do a proper job earning money?

As far as I recall U had taken some time off work so snowheads was pretty much full time. I'd be interested to hear how things have developed.

Basically PG, you don't run a forum for money - if you did the minimum wage inspectors would be taking you to court! Happy. I have a friend who set up London Skaters - they had about 1,500 members at the height and a very large amount of traffic. He eventually gave up as he was spending 40 hours a week on site admin which was cutting into his time teaching and spending time with his family and he found his data transfer charges were consuming a great deal of the money he was generating through adds.

There are some forums that have achieved escape velocity mind. At Skipass the owner has subcontracted the admin and moderation and concentrates on cross marketing, selling ski holidays etc. But they get around 30 million page views per year. Advertisers are also somewhat wary of forums as there are a lot of repeat eyeballs which don't convert into sales.

Problem with donations is that many people expect information to be free on the Web.

Just some thoughts
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Careful davidof, U's depressed enough already! Wink Skipass is a good model, but it's been going for what, seven years? That forum, visually and technically, is not a patch on the phpBB versions, imho. Different market, younger (and less well off?)....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From what I gather, U is running this as his full time job, and does a little chargeable work in the evenings/weekends.

So, please give generously (or for those who use Bank of Mum/Dad/Boyfriend/Husband, get them to give generously - if they ask why, explain that if it wasn't for this place you might be out on the streets, or taking drugs, or pimiping, or... ok, you get the idea)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Problem with donations is that many people expect information to be free on the Web.

Do they now? Who are these cynical freeloaders? The objective of snowHeads should be to build a community so large that it cannot be ignored by advertisers, sponsors or anyone else. Yes, there is obvious spin-off potential in just about every department: snowHeads chalets, snowHeads hotels, snowHeads snowDomes, snowAir low-cost airlines. You name it.

I'm serious! TimeOut magazine in London started as little more than a pamphlet and is now a substantial publishing company. From little acorns, oak trees grow.

I think you're being unneccessarily gloomy, davidof. This is undoubtedly the future.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tony Lane wrote:
I'll wait until my title changes back to being a normal user and will use that as a prompt to make a further donation
I didn't realise that would happen - good idea though. I'm more than happy to pay up: this must be the cheapest bit of fun I know.
Ubrain for President! With PG as deputy.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I didn't contribute until recently when I realised just how time I spend here - OK, not many posts, but I'm a bit shy Embarassed and not as knowledgable as certain snowheads.

I'd like to pass on my thanks to U for doing a great job and to the Snowheads community for taking up so much of my time ( wife and employer not so grateful !!! )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Quote:

Do they now? Who are these cynical freeloaders?

Probably the same kind of people who exchange software, music and films on P2P networks. They are probably not cynical, they just expect stuff to be free.

Quote:

I'm serious! TimeOut magazine in London started as little more than a pamphlet and is now a substantial publishing company. From little acorns, oak trees grow.

Yeah, maybe but it is a physical thing. So far the Internet has shown that it is very hard to monetize web sites. There are exception such as eBay, but they have introduced a complete new business model that wasn't possible before the Web.

Quote:

I think you're being unneccessarily gloomy, davidof. This is undoubtedly the future.

I hope so for U's sake. I know that Guilllaume who runs skipass had to work full time for his travel company for six years before skipass could support him full time.

Forums are probably not the ideal route to go as they require quite a bit of care and attention and tend at attract a fairly small hard core of contributors but at least Snowheads as managed to attract some of the best contributors to the old SCGB forum.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
I hope so for U's sake. I know that Guilllaume who runs skipass had to work full time for his travel company for six years before skipass could support him full time.

Take most of your points above, but I don't recall Guillaume ever having a donation system in that time? Could be horribly wrong there, but I thought he just sold t-shirts and a bit of advertising space...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Those of us who were kicked off the SCGB forum early this year for not being members, will remember how bereft we were until we came across Snow heads. I myself spend far too much time browsing the posts even though I post very little, (usually because its been eloquently posted before,) and would hate to miss such a valuable and entertaining resource. £1 per week is very little these days.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurray! I echo all of the above and send this thread back up to the top of the pile snowHead Keep up the good work U! Very Happy
ski holidays
Ditto!!!!! Time for another donation I think.
snow report
Or how about foregoing the 'pleasures' Shocked of the ski show and donating your £16 to snowHeads instead? Laughing Any takers? snowHead
snow conditions
Cathy Coins, As I am not renewing my ski club membership, I'll consider it a bargain!!!!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 13-10-04 21:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Well shame on me and may I eat yellow snow for ever. You have successfully pricked my conscience. And I thought you qualified for the illustrious title of "super-snowhead", "mega-snowhead" or "boring-old-fart snowhead" according to how many posts you'd made. But I never bother to RTFM until it's broke.
Situation now remedied.
latest report
scream, got it eventually! Hoped someone else would ask ref. RTFM

Doh.
ski holidays
PG,

Thanks - saved me the embarrassment of having to ask! Embarassed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 14-10-04 7:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Those who should RTFM usually also suffer from UFT. Wink
latest report
kuwait_ian, I refuse to be drawn !
snow conditions
Chris B wrote:
Those of us who were kicked off the SCGB forum early this year for not being members, will remember how bereft we were until we came across Snow heads. I myself spend far too much time browsing the posts even though I post very little, (usually because its been eloquently posted before,) and would hate to miss such a valuable and entertaining resource. £1 per week is very little these days.

Hmmm. £52/year. To re-join the SCGB forum would have cost you the annual subscription - currently £49/year, for a single member. Seems re-joining would have saved you £3, Chris (hey, it'd get you a drink ). All a bit ironic.

I joined to defend the SCGB rep system and the club which were being bashed. But here's also turned out to be a fun place, and it is visible to all - so I've coughed up a tad. Not £52, though!
snow report
Tony Ellwood, since it doesn't come up on the Lucky Button in Google, 'User Finger Trouble.' Not so naughty.
latest report
Nick Zotov, The difference being that what I choose to donate to snowheads is at my discretion based on what I feel I get out of the service. As a member of the SCGB for ten plus years and living in Lincolnshire I personally got very little for my subscription.
snow report
Chris B, nice county, I live there too! The Lincolnshire Wolds are a largely unknown delight, IMO.
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, yes, but it's much more fun here than at the SCGB forum snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins, Snotbad Smile Mind you, there is the odd lively thread Over There.
snow conditions
I tried to donate but I don't want to use Paypal. I'd prefer to just do a simple online credit card transaction. Is that possible???
ski holidays
johnfmh, Trouble is CC systems cost a fair sum to set up, plus an annual fee, plus a % of the transaction... so until snowHeads has a few thousand more members I can't see it being worthwhile for U! Other than Paypal - or a couple of dollar bills in a thick envelope snowHead - not sure what else is possible really. Money orders involve a big charge as well as bank tranfers....
ski holidays
Nick Zotov, The Wolds certianly are, especially when you live on the flat fens. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Chris B, Tealby is about half an hour's drive for me. A wonderful area for summer walking - and a drink at the pub. Mind you, even in the flat lands, there are gems.
snow report
PG& johnfmh, What about a direct bank transfer, then Paypal don't get any % of the donation. Drop U a PM and ask if it's possible Puzzled
ski holidays
Bank transfers involve charges, as much as £30 at the UK bank end, irrespective of the sum transferred. Sometimes at the sender end too. So unless donations run at least into three figures.... (dream on!)
snow report
PG wrote:
Bank transfers involve charges, as much as £30 at the UK bank end, irrespective of the sum transferred. Sometimes at the sender end too. So unless donations run at least into three figures.... (dream on!)

Actually internet bank transfers between friends are free - from my bank, anyway. BUT U would have to divulge his account details - and there are an awful lot of folk out there who would be etremely interested, judging by the spam my company receives Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
But Johnfmh would probably be charged for an international transfer. I get charged $25 at the US end and £7.00 at the UK end when I wire money from the US.
ski holidays
stuarth wrote:
But Johnfmh would probably be charged for an international transfer. I get charged $25 at the US end and £7.00 at the UK end when I wire money from the US.

Doh! I missed the States connection - I can do slow on the uptake
snow report
So has this thread produced many more donations? Perhaps a bit early to tell....
latest report
Well, funny u should ask Cathy Very Happy

After all my pussy-footing around, P(cut the crap)G's direct approach produced as many donations in a day as we normally get in 2 months! Made for a very exciting day for me anyway Very Happy

So thanks PG and thanks to our new snowHeads, super-snowHeads and even the odd mega-snowHead.

Just to keep this in perspective though, for anyone still sitting on the fence about chucking something in the pot, the sum total for the day was £260 so that's me sorted for a couple of weeks rolling eyes

Now, if PG could pull something like this off once a week....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy