Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet - no more free baggage allowance

Poster: A snowHead
Helen Beaumont wrote:
AxsMan, no I certainly wasn't arguing that it was expensive at all. I don't think a £2 charge will really deter anyone from taking checked baggage.

£2 this year..watch it creep up Puzzled Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gwaelod, that's what I suspect too. I don't think they've made any money from the £5 charge for the second bag, hence the change to the £2 each, and you can bet your life it will go up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont wrote:
gwaelod, that's what I suspect too. I don't think they've made any money from the £5 charge for the second bag, hence the change to the £2 each, and you can bet your life it will go up.

Ryanair is £10 per bag Sad A benchmark for Easyjet to aim to. NehNeh Mad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The one point I'm surprised nobody has made is that EasyJet want us to carry on our luggage, but the government don't want us taking liquids or taking more than one bag. These two are surely at odds.

I used to gladly take all my luggage on board with me. Then I couldn't take two bags, which isn't very useful when going on business with my laptop. And the fact you can't take toiletries completes scuppers taking your bag on board.

Who wouldn't want to walk off the plane at the other end and skip the whole standing around and waiting for your bag to turn up? When will the government end these rediculous restrictions? As it's already been pointed out by government advisors, the next target could well be all the people waiting to get to get through the checkin/security check as at that point you could be carrying anything.

Besides, I don't see the same stupid restrictions affecting trains or buses....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
m00958, having just read this thread that was exactly the point I was about to make. With the current restrictions it's not feasible to travel with hand baggage only unless you're going to your own pad at t'other end where you have already stashed your shampoo and corkscrew. Ta Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
m00958, Yoda, snap. IMO deliberately introducing a charge in order to encourage passengers to adopt a practice (hand baggage only) that is not practical any more and puts the passenger between the rock of a hold baggage charge and the hard place of the government discouragement of hand luggage generally is little short of extortion
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boots the Sandwich shop in the airports must make a bomb (if you'll pardon the pun) from selling articles banned from your hand luggage though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

little short of extortion

well, hardly, we are talking of an era of unprecedently free competition in airline travel which has pushed prices down to real levels which we could not even have dreamt of 40 years ago, when a cartel of state subsidised national carriers called the tune.

easyJet pricing is straight supply and demand stuff. Approaching a perfect market?

The heavier the payload, the greater the fuel costs, so why shouldn't costs be related to the amount of stuff you take? £2 for a 20 kg bag? or even £10 for a bag? Try posting a 20 kg parcel to Geneva and see how much it costs you. (Yes, I know that the unjustified low taxation on jet fuel distorts competition from railways, but that's maybe a different argument).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I appreciate all that, but levying a charge for an element 99.9999% of their passengers are unable to avoid is still, to my mind, sharp practice at best - it would be more honest to add the charge to the fare itself. And I'm not singling out EJ here you understand.

The fare system may be "more transparent" by being broken down but it's certainly not simpler, and for me makes the ordinary scheduled airlines more attractive. I can usually do Zurich to London on Swiss for 80 or 90 quid return, all baggage included as are a meal or snack and a drink and it's simple - I'm not having to waste hours reading through the small print of T&Cs to see exactly what extra charges are likely to be levied, whether I have to book extra charges in advance etc etc. The budget airline pricing model actually costs me more because of the time wasted working out exactly what additional charges apply to me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OH for the luxury of being able to fly anywhere without using EJ or Ryanair. Having said that, I have had no problems with them, so can't really complain.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch wrote:
pam w, I appreciate all that, but levying a charge for an element 99.9999% of their passengers are unable to avoid is still, to my mind, sharp practice at best - it would be more honest to add the charge to the fare itself. And I'm not singling out EJ here you understand.

The fare system may be "more transparent" by being broken down but it's certainly not simpler, and for me makes the ordinary scheduled airlines more attractive. I can usually do Zurich to London on Swiss for 80 or 90 quid return, all baggage included as are a meal or snack and a drink and it's simple - I'm not having to waste hours reading through the small print of T&Cs to see exactly what extra charges are likely to be levied, whether I have to book extra charges in advance etc etc. The budget airline pricing model actually costs me more because of the time wasted working out exactly what additional charges apply to me.

I agree . I use Swiss frequently. All in price, cheap, efficient,food, drink inc, go to airports you want to go to, even airmiles, very simple !

I guess thats how they turned themselves around & I believe were Euro Airline of Year last year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
m00958 wrote:
When will the government end these rediculous restrictions?

Maybe when the airport operators, BAA in particular, invest in sufficient security capacity to process the required number of people and their luggage in a timely manner. The sooner BAA have competition from a major airport (LHR v LGW, for example) the better in my opinion.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is kind of strange that a private company are being made to pay for the extra security the government decide they need. If there's a problem on the railways then it's the transport police that get involved.

All aspects of airport security should be removed from the airport operators. I don't trust a company to protect me properly when they have one eye on profits.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I agree. I bought BAA when it was privatised, precisely because it had a London monopoly (and a Scotland monopoly). Thankfully, Ferrovial bought me out just before the regulatory heat (justly) gets turned on them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As an aside to the general debate about hold luggage vs hand luggage, Michael O'Leary (boss of RyanAir which is also trying to convince passengers not to take hold luggage) was reported the other day as having said,
"the need for luggage is simply a "state of mind" for many passengers. "I can go away for a two-week roadshow with simply an overnight bag."

Can we presume he buys a new wardrobe when he reaches his destination - and bins it before the return flight? What about toiletries (which we all know he can't carry in the cabin) - I'm not sure I'd want to sit next to him on the flight home after a fortnight with no bod spray Shocked What planet is Mr O'Leary on, I wonder.
ski holidays
it was perfectly possible to travel with only cabin baggage in the old days - I did a 6 week business trip around the Pacific with only a cabin bag, but that was when you COULD carry toiletries, not that you really need anything like the bucketsful of unguents most people cannot contemplate travelling without! But it entails staying in hotels where laundry can be done quickly, not staying in one place too long so people don't have to keep looking at your small range of outfits, and being in a warm climate. I don't think we'll ever have to buy hair stuff ever again, so many visitors to our apartment leave bottles of shampoo, conditioner etc with only 10% used! When I used to organise budget ski trips to basic chalets I used to try to ensure that we just had one soap, one shampoo, one toothpaste etc per tiny bathroom. I dare say Mr O'Leary doesn't do roadshows in places where you can't find a shop with a prodigious choice of toiletries on every corner, open 8 till late. If he stays in good hotels he probably gets most of them free, for that matter, and he can get a small but perfect collection of clothes cleaned or laundered within a few hours.

It is indeed pretty difficult to go on a ski trip without a fair bit of baggage, but it's also true that baggage is often a state of mind. My daughter met kids on the backpacker circuit in south east asia who had felt unable to leave home without their hair straighteners (and who could consequently barely lift their backpacks, let alone find space for all the intriguing things they wanted to buy in local markets). Which of us could honestly say that we don't usually come home and unpack lots of things we could easily have done without but took "just in case"?
snow report
I've started nicking the hotel little bottles of shampoo since the 100ml restriction came in, for the places that don't have it. I've also switched from spray to roll-on deoderant, since it's easier to get sub-100ml packages. I'll do anything to avoid checking in baggage - a bit difficult for a ski trip though.
ski holidays
Does anyone know where we will have to pay this allowance - I noted the thread where the cut and paste said 'at the airport', but does mean at check-in, i.e. that for each booked group they will tot up the cost and take the cash there and then (I can just see the confusion with change, credit cards being proferred etc.). I flew from Stanstead to Edinburgh last week and the queue for check-in was already fearful and I don't think the baggage costs were implemented then - I didn't have any hold baggage anyway. However, I'm doing Luton to Aberdeen on 5th Sept and back on the 7th with a hold bag and assume that other folk will be sorting out this charge then too - maybe I should organise to leave even earlier than my expected 04:15 start Sad
snow report
Red Leon, I imagine Mr O'leary can carry whatever he likes in his cabin baggage, given that he owns the airline.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Megamum, if the flights were booked before last Friday, nothing to pay.

btw, the easyjet procedure if you go over your baggage limit in general is: check you in but the checkin desk hold onto your boarding card. You then have to go and pay at their ticket desk, come back to check in (at least you bypass the queue), show your receipt and they give you the boarding card.

I had to do this with a pair of skis last year. I was only taking them one way but their website had no way of letting you pay for skis on one sector of a return flight. They did give me the prepaid rate once I explained though.
snow report
pam w wrote:
.... I don't think we'll ever have to buy hair stuff ever again, so many visitors to our apartment leave bottles of shampoo, conditioner etc with only 10% used!

That's probably because they buy a new bottle when they arrive (having been unable to bring any on the flight) and can't take it home (for the same reason)...so they leave it for you.
snow report
Red Leon wrote:
As an aside to the general debate about hold luggage vs hand luggage, Michael O'Leary (boss of RyanAir which is also trying to convince passengers not to take hold luggage) was reported the other day as having said,
"the need for luggage is simply a "state of mind" for many passengers. "I can go away for a two-week roadshow with simply an overnight bag."

Can we presume he buys a new wardrobe when he reaches his destination - and bins it before the return flight? What about toiletries (which we all know he can't carry in the cabin) - I'm not sure I'd want to sit next to him on the flight home after a fortnight with no bod spray Shocked What planet is Mr O'Leary on, I wonder.

It is possible to buy toiletries in such out-of-the way destinations as France and Austria these days you know. wink . And you can take them home again, just not in your hand baggage.
snow conditions
brian wrote:
Megamum, if the flights were booked before last Friday, nothing to pay.

btw, the easyjet procedure if you go over your baggage limit in general is: check you in but the checkin desk hold onto your boarding card. You then have to go and pay at their ticket desk, come back to check in (at least you bypass the queue), show your receipt and they give you the boarding card.

I had to do this with a pair of skis last year. I was only taking them one way but their website had no way of letting you pay for skis on one sector of a return flight. They did give me the prepaid rate once I explained though.

Brian, good to know as I will have to do this on our return from the MSB. I did wonder if you could add your skis to your return leg once the outward flight had been completed though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy