Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet - no more free baggage allowance

brian
brian
Come on, let's .... stuff those overhead bins to the max !

"easyJet simplifies baggage procedures
easyJet, Europe’s leading low-fares airline, today announced a change to its baggage policy.

The airline is seeking to reduce the number of passengers who travel with checked-in bags by rewarding those who choose to pack smarter and travel lighter.

From today, Friday 3rd August 2007, new reservations for travel from 1st October 2007 onwards will be subject to a fee for each piece of hold baggage of £2* per flight sector, up to the maximum total hold baggage weight per passenger of 20kg, which is unchanged. This replaces the previous policy where the first hold bag was free but subsequent bags were charged at £5 per item.

easyJet passengers will still be able to take advantage of one of Europe’s most generous hand baggage allowances – with a free carry-on bag policy of up to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm with no weight restriction.

Fewer checked-in bags can help to improve the operational performance of airports and to attribute the appropriate cost to those passengers who require the service of checked-in baggage. Fewer bags will also play a part in reducing the environmental impact of aviation and in the long-term could lead to airports needing simpler and cheaper baggage facilities.

Andy Harrison, easyJet Chief Executive said:

“It’s about getting people to pack smarter, travel lighter and travel cheaper.”
"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, good job I booked both lots of flights yesterday then.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, Me too!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swirly wrote:
Helen Beaumont, Me too!

Booked 3 weeks ago.......... snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Already got 2 lots of flights booked Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
4 return flights booked but we only take a cabin bag each Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bad news guys - sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings, but http://www.easyjet.co.uk/EN/Book/regulations.html#flighttransfers states...
Quote:

Flights Departing on or after 1 October 2007 (Regardless of when Booked)

Every item of standard checked-baggage will incur a fee, irrespective of weight, as set out in this section. Up to the passenger allowance of 20kgs, each passenger will pay a per bag allowance as follows:

Currency Per bag, per flight (when pre-paid) up to 20kgs Per bag, per flight (paid at the airport) up to 20kgs)
GBP 2.00 5.00
EUR 3.00 7.50
CHF 5.00 12.50
DKK 22.00 55.00
CSK 83.00 210.00
HUF 800.00 2,000.00
PLN 12.00 30.00
SKK 110.00 275.00
MAD 35.00 85.00

The maximum acceptable weight for each single piece of checked-in hold baggage is 32kg. Baggage which exceeds this weight will not be accepted for carriage.

Where checked-in hold baggage exceeds 20kgs in weight (subject to the above rule), each passenger will pay an excess baggage charge per kg up to a passenger maximum of 50kgs, as follows:

Currency Excess Baggage per kg
GBP 6.00
EUR 9.00
CHF 14.00
DKK 66.00
CSK 250.00
HUF 2,400.00
PLN 35.00
SKK 335.00
MAD 100.00

Sports Equipment and Musical Instrument Charges

Musical instruments
Musical instruments will only be permitted to be carried in the cabin and placed into the overhead locker if space is available and strictly subject to the Captain's discretion. The instrument including its carry case must not exceed the dimensions 30 x 117 x 38cms. Instruments which fit into this category include violin, viola, piccolo, flute, clarinet, bugle and trumpet.

Any instrument which exceeds the dimensions 30 x 117 x 38cms must be checked in as checked-baggage. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.

Sporting equipment
Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 Kgs including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment or musical instruments as set out in the table below:

Currency Per flight (when pre-paid) Per flight (paid at the airport)
GBP 15.00 20.00
EUR 22.50 30.00
CHF 35.00 47.00
DKK 170.00 220.00
CSK 630.00 840.00
HUF 6,000.00 8,000.00
PLN 90.00 120.00
SKK 850.00 1,100.00
MAD 250.00 330.00

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
at least the £15 surcharge ups the max hold baggage limit to 50kgs, and there doesn't seem to be any details of number of skis in bag etc. The only ref to skis seems to be here..
Quote:
Bicycles (1), golf equipment, and skis, surfboards, wind surfers, hang gliders, and firearms (2)
An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the sporting equipment or musical instruments as set out in the table below:

I've always carried a copy of their T&Cs in case there's any argument...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 3-08-07 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can understand the from now on......change but retrospective. Barstewards Mad Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geoffers, but I've just checked my booking online half an hour ago, anc the baggage charge is not on it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
geoffers, but I've just checked my booking online half an hour ago, anc the baggage charge is not on it.

Expecdt an e-mail shortly from easyjet telling you of the change.... Mad Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoffers, update, it is listed in the information part for flights after October 1st, but there is no facility to pay for the baggage, and the print out states that the booking includes 2 hold bags.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen - I wonder if there are any lawyers out there?? When you make a booking, I assume you have entered into a binding contract, which they have altered after the event...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffers, my thoughts exactly. I have my booking printed out, an OK, so it's only £4 each, but it's the principle behind it that matters.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The new mantra...nicked from Brown.... if it moves, tax/surcharge it....for as long as you can get away with it...
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Just read the Easyjet press release which states that the new luggage charge will apply to bookings made from today for flights from the Ist October 2007
snow report
Tucked away in the Conditions of Carriage is

9.5. Baggage Charges
You may carry checked Baggage as specified and subject to the conditions, fees and limitations contained in our Carrier's Regulations.

So I assume that the Easyjet argument is that for the price you click/accept from the screen you get a seat plus the entitlement to check bags as specified from time to time and at the cost they levy from time to time............no doubt the additional argument would be that you clicked to accept their terms and conditions as part of the booking and if you didnt like that deal then you could have chosen to take your business elsewhere,

The other side of the coin is

2.1.3 All products on www.easyJet.com are not an offer by us but an invitation for you to make an offer to us or our suppliers. You make this offer when you click the “I agree to easyJet terms and conditions” during the booking process. We are able to accept or reject any such offers on our own behalf where we are acting as principal or on behalf of our suppliers where we are acting as disclosed agent. If we do accept your offer we will send you an e-mail confirming acceptance. Once you have received an email from us confirming our acceptance of your booking there is a binding contract in place between you and either your supplier of the product where we are acting as disclosed agent or with us where we are acting as principal. Please check the confirmation e-mail very carefully. If there are any discrepancies or it is not what you think you ordered, please contact us immediately

You might think that that meant you had a deal on the Baggage terms as they then stood when the contract was formed (look at it this way, if they imposed a charge, charge you that charge and then, later but before your flight, abolished the charge after you had booked/paid would they give you a refund.......I dont think so !!)

It may of course be that the approach is that for 2 quid a bag people might mump and moan but they will pay and not do anything about it.....so they get the extra cash without much hassle.
snow conditions
malcolm1, The Easyjet press release clearly indicates that the extra luggage charge will not apply to bokings made before today
ski holidays
Anyway, interpreted by travel industry person. The charge applies to flights on or after 1st October, regardless of when booked, applies only from today. So a flight booked before today is booked under the old rules and regs, i.e. forst bag free, 2nd bag £5.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Correct
latest report
So why was someone being the 'bearer of bad tidings' ?
snow report
That seems fair enough to me and is in line with 2.1.3 as I assume the charge is now visible to anyone proceeding with a booking
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Also if you booked a flight now for a date before the 1st October you will not pay the new charge. The new charge only applys to flights from the 1 st October
ski holidays
malcolm1, but not to anyone who booked yesterday. I get the 'add extra bags' and it would charge me £5 each.
ski holidays
Quote:

B0llocks. It's about making more money.

I have no particular objection to companies making money, but I resent their assumption that I am a gullible moron who will believe any old piece of marketing tripe. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Lizzard, About ten days ago Easyjet were forced to show the full price on their web-site from the begining rather than their previous practice of quoting the first price not including taxes etc. This is their response ie they will claim that their full price does not need to include the luggege charge as people will travel only with hand luggage.
latest report
Yeah right

Bucket Airlines now charge for you Baggage !

What a load of ****
ski holidays
Whats the problem with you lot - you buy cheap flights then complain when the carrier makes changes. If we all worried about a few quid we would never go skiing. I think its a good thing cause it will keep the riff raff out of the sport. wink Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think they had no choice as their competitors were all doing it.
latest report
I don't see a problem in deconstructing the traditional airline package, so that the passengers who don't want any extras pay the least. There's always BA or other full service carriers, if that's what you want.

I rather approve of pre-tax prices being shown as the headline. It makes people aware how much of their money the government siphons away. No wonder the authorities put a stop to it.
snow conditions
Quote:

If we all worried about a few quid we would never go skiing

Smokin Joe, even if you lose the odd £100 eh?
snow report
marmalade, there is a wink at the end of my post.
snow report
Smokin Joe,

Not trying to incur your wrath - just laughing with you!
latest report
geoffers wrote:
at least the £15 surcharge ups the max hold baggage limit to 50kgs.......

Don't you believe it. There's no way they're gonna let you take 50kg for just £15. Give them a day or two to sort their T&C's out & I'll bet ya that the £15 is for a max 12kg as before.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
geoffers wrote:
at least the £15 surcharge ups the max hold baggage limit to 50kgs.......

Don't you believe it. There's no way they're gonna let you take 50kg for just £15. Give them a day or two to sort their T&C's out & I'll bet ya that the £15 is for a max 12kg as before.

I'm not sure how anybody read that as meaning they will let you take 50Kgs for £15.

There will be a charge of £2 per bag.

There will also be an adidtional charge of £15 per item for sports equipment.

Either way, your maximum hold allowance is 50Kg. If you don't pay for sports equipment, then anything over 20 KLG is charged at £6.00 per kilo.

I think that the items for which you have paid £15 per item do not count as part of your standard 20Kgs, but do count as part of youtr total maximum of 50Kgs. So make sure you put anything heavy in your ski bag wink
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

B0llocks. It's about making more money.

I have no particular objection to companies making money, but I resent their assumption that I am a gullible moron who will believe any old piece of marketing tripe. Evil or Very Mad

Yes, what an idiot .... . Of course they would NEVER have been trying to hide this behind all their 'Carbon Footprint' PR would they !!??

Lizzard I object to being considered 'gullible' too!

Smokin Joe Pay up you swine ... it's only a few quid ...after all you ski, you can afford it

wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
alex_heney, I agree with you. My point is that for £15 you get a 'sport' bag of upto 30kg assuming you have the max 20kg in your main bag that you've paid the £2 for. If this is the case then it's a great deal as the old ski bag limit was 12kg so your getting an additional 18kg for just £2.
ski holidays
To enable us to compare like with like all airlines should charge just for the body, then have clearly displayed costs for checked baggage. I do often travel light, have frequently done long trips with only hand baggage. Why should those who travel light subsidise everyone else's huge great piles of stuff? Ideally, as I've said before, to make sure that everyone pays for the fuel they use, they should charge £X per kilo for everything taken on board, including bodies and hand baggage. Customers could put themselves and their stuff in a weight category (e.g. 75 - 100 kgs) when they book then stand on scales marked with the same categories when they check in and pay any difference. That would avoid embarassment.... "of course my bags are full of books". I've been on flights in small planes where all passengers were weighed on embarking, for load purposes, though we all paid the same fare. As my fellow passengers on those occasions were generally Tongans or Samoans I felt pretty smug! Come to think of it, that was probably why they had to weigh people, as any aircraft manufacturers assumptions about average weight per passenger would have gone out the window!
ski holidays
Seems to me that £2 to check in a bag is peanuts, and easy to figure in your cost comparisons. also if you check in two bags the cost is now £4 not £5 and for three it would be £6 not £10, so none of this sounds like particularly bad news. I can't believe £2 is significant to anyone who can afford to fly at all, let alone ski Wink
snow report
AxsMan, no I certainly wasn't arguing that it was expensive at all. I don't think a £2 charge will really deter anyone from taking checked baggage.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy