Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just about to book Zermatt for New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
I am so excited I am just about to book a week in Zermatt at New Year for myself and my husband as a surprise for his 30th birthday Smile

I am looking for some advice to help me decide which of the many options I should book. I have found a very reasonably priced apartment which the website says is

The house is located near the Haus Terminus bus stop and can be reached by "electro" bus (the "Zen Stecken" line).

How does this sound for location???? bearing in mind its very cheap at New Year Wink

The other option I have is to rent an apartment in Tasch, This would mean I wouldn't have to go saturday to saturday and so would save about £300 on the 2 flights, it would be a lot cheaper but would it spoil the holiday not actually staying in zermatt?

The other question I have is about what to do on New Years Eve. I have read most of the other threads on here about people who have been to zermatt and they all recommend booking somewhere nice for lunch when skiing so I imagine I would struggle to get in anywhere to eat on New Years Eve without a booking. What does eveyone do? Do they just hang about the streets celebrating and where could anyone recommend for a meal that would cost about £60 per couple for say 1-2 course and a bottle of wine.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely stay in Zermatt rather than Tasch, its only a 20 odd minute train ride down to Tasch but it would be a right pain to do every night and you'd definitely want to go out in Zermatt rather than Tasch.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
levart, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I stayed in Tasch when I skied Zermatt, but price and skiing were my main considerations. Apres doesn't bother me. Tasch is a car park with a couple of hotels. There is no atmosphere or apres there, so you would have to go back to Zermatt for the evening. (you can buy a multi-day pass for the train that gives you unlimited journeys between the two).

If it's a special trip, then I'd pay the extra and stay in Zermatt.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
zoe29, I *think* that means location is up near the KM cable car station. That's a very handy location for skiing (esp with the Furi connection into Gornergrat) but is approx. a half mile walk from the town centre.

I think it's worth the extra to stay in Zermatt although the trains do run quite late.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah it is supposed to be 2 minutes walk from the KM station....
so excited Smile My husband is wondering whats up with me as i have a huge grin on my face but can't tell him why as i want it to be a surprise.

Any tips or hints appreciated to feed my excitement Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
zoe29 wrote:
Yeah it is supposed to be 2 minutes walk from the KM station....
so excited Smile My husband is wondering whats up with me as i have a huge grin on my face but can't tell him why as i want it to be a surprise.

Any tips or hints appreciated to feed my excitement Smile

Have a look here
http://www.zermatt.ch/index.e.html

I can recommend the North Wall, Papperla, & Brown Cow bars.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh just thought of something else. the flight from Geneva to Edinburgh leaves too early in the morning to get the train back from Zermatt the same day so I plan on leaving Zermatt on saturday and then spending a night or even 2 in Geneva before flying back on sunday or monday. Can anyone recommend any changes to this plan, places to stop off on the way back to geneva or even spend a night?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zoe29, if you can get a cheap deal then stay in the Moevenpick in Geneva, we managed to get B&B for £80 for two and it's a fabulous place to stay. Others have recommended traveling from Geneva to Lausanne (easy train journey).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have done New Year in Zermatt it is really great, we booked dinner which was a gala multi course affair, bit of a waste of money as all the action takes place outside in the small sq in front of the church. At midnight it is a shower in champagne then about an hour of fireworks including some low flying ones....

I would second whats been said above, stay in Zermatt if you can location is not that important as the lift system access points are all over the place and you are bound to be close to something. We stayed at the Alpina which was cheapish and fine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have booked the flights and am waiting for confirmation on the apartment in Zermatt, we are also going to have 2 nights in geneva on the way back. Laughing snowHead Razz Very Happy Blush Little Angel snowHead Laughing

We are staying ina self catering aprtment which I prefer for space but i don't really want to have to be cooking any meals, any recommendations on where to book for dinner for new years eve??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kenzie wrote:
I can recommend the North Wall, Papperla, & Brown Cow bars.

Definitely. http://www.northwallbar.com/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zoe29, I went to Zermatt a few years back and stayed in the area you describe in an Inghams chalet. Its a fabulous town, and definitely worth the extra to be in Zermatt rather than Tasch.

The KM station (gondola now, has replaced the cable car) sits at the bottom of a hill with most nearby accomodation being up that hill - and it's a steep walk when you are tired at the end of the day. There is an electro bus that serves the ski stations that stops by the KM gondola, but we found taking the Gronergrat cog railway or the funicular back into town then a 'town route' elecro bus back to the top of this area was easier as you could have a couple of apres ski sherbets in town before getting the bus and also the walk down the hill was easier than going up it.

One of my favourite bars was Elsie's - in a small square by the Zermatterhof hotel.

Whatever you choose, do go to Zermatt as its wonderful.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would second everyones comments. Stay in Zermatt. Beautiful town, skiing and great nightlife. Hope your apartment has Matterhorn views some of the cheaper apartments in the buildings may not and it is worth paying the extra. The view to wake up looking at that mountain puts you in good form for the day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, definately stay in Zermatt!! It was the first ever ski resort I went to and it really captured my imagination and set me on my path for a lot of sking to come. The town is very nice and definately an experience you'd want to be part of while you are there. I agree completely with the previous poster as my room did have a view of the Matterhorn and it was very inspiring to start each day with =)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have got the aprtment booked now, just sending off the deposit. Yes we have a view of the matterhorn, there were 2 apartments available, 1 with a view and one without so I paid a bit extra for the view Smile

I just have to find a hotel in geneva now. I had a look at the Moevenpick and it did look lovely but a bit over budget. has anyone stayed in the Admiral hotel. its fairly cheap and near the train station but looks ok
latest report
Papperla Pub afterwards always set me right again.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-01-13 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Zoe29 --

Sleep in Zermatt. Tasch is too far off the beaten track.

Pick a residence as close to one of the major lifts as possible. The closer the better.

The Zermatt skibuses suck. They are tiny and overcrowded. New Year will be chaos. Avoid the buses wherever possible.

If you can find accommodation within roughly 500 meters of a big lift, then book it immediately.

The Hotel Perren, near the Sunnega Funicular, is one example:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188098-d260467-Reviews-Hotel_Perren-Zermatt_Valais_Swiss_Alps.html

Zermatt is one of the world's top 5 resorts. But get close to a lift if you want to maximize fun and minimize hassle.

Good luck.
latest report
if your staying in Zermatt, for a night out go to the 'North Wall'. Guys called Sparky, Pocket and Chris own/work there. Best night out in the town, Zermatt is truely awsome.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
zoe29, I don't know much about Zermatt but I was in Switzerland at the weekend and was seriously unimpressed with Geneva. We stayed in the Hotel Moderne on Friday night and didn't like that or the look of Geneva at night. We were in Sion on Saturday night and it was far more pleasant.

If I was you I would be looking to stay the extra time in the mountains or in Sion, Montreaux or Lausanne (by the lake in Ouchy) which are all on the train route back to Geneva. If you stay somewhere still in Valais on the train line (still near the mountains) you can even day trip it up by bus to the slopes of the 4 Valleys if you fancy some more ski. Sion is handy for Veysonnaz & Siviez or from Martigny you can train it up to Verbier.
ski holidays
Zermatt is the best ski resort in the world , I've been there 6 times and can't wait to go back. Maybe next year...........
I hope you won't be disappointed. snowHead
snow report
Zermatt is wonderful, you'll have such a great time! We stayed in a lovely apartment there, I've forgotten the name though.

Geneva isn't the most exciting place. It's OK for a night, but I'd visit somewhere else on the way back instead - maybe Lausanne? I wonder if you could get the train back to Lausanne or Montreux and then go back to Geneva by boat over the lake? I think the boats only run at weekends in winter, but it would be a lovely way to finish the trip...
snow conditions
we have booked an apartment in Zermatt which is supposed to be 3 minutes from the KM station but further out from the town, I don't mind a little walk at night. This is the webpage, I went for the Sonnheim as it has a view of the Matterhorn Smile

http://www.holidaynet.ch/sonnheim/

I have to spend at least 1 night in Geneva as my flight back to Edinburgh is at 10am so I have just decided to spend both nights there ( the flights back on the monday were so much cheaper than on the sunday that it seemed silly to have a shorter holiday that was more expensive). I appreciate the comments about Geneva so will maybe think about going on a trip out of the city for our day there. To be honest I think it will be nice to just have a couple of relaxing days as I find I am usually quite tired going straight back to work after a skiing holiday

Oh and thanks very much for all the comments, any more hints or tips gratefully recieved Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy