Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What the %%%% have I done....

Poster: A snowHead
Ok here goes

Boss: Nade you like skiing dont you
Me: Oh yes I do
Boss: we should have a team ski trip
Me: ooooh yes! That sounds fab - i organised one once
Boss: oh you can organise this one then - i'll pop and email out
Me:oooook (whilst silently berating myself for failing to follow Snowheads No.1 rule- NEVER BE IN CHARGE OF GROUP TRIPS)

So here's the deal- we're thinking a long weekend (thursday night - monday night) somewhere without a massive transfer, in Early Jan- possibly with glacier in case of shoddy snow- reasonable nightlife and catered!

Any ideas? I've never really been into short breaks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nadenoodlee, Are you jb1970 in drag?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope- im considering whether a free ski trip is worth all the hassle. Im too selfish a person to be responsible for this!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've organised a few and its not such hassle. 1st thing to establish is a budget. Tell us whats in the kitty, how many are going, and we'll work something out I am sure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, glaciers = longer transfers

catered = makes difficult. Anyway, team ski trips almost invariably want to go out to play rather than stay in.

early jan - make it after the russian orthodox new year

fly Geneva: PDS, Chamonicks, that area, etc.

fly elsewhere: (eg Turin) Aosta valley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, catered as in the sense, we don't want to be cooking meals and have all that hassle. So a hotel or whatever would be fine, not necessarily a chalet. Thinking - around 3rd weekend in January - going into Feb.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fly to Grenoble - Alpe d'Huez and 2Alpes, hour and a half transfer time. I should just pick a date and resort, tell everyone else that's what's happening, and then refuse to listen to any 'can't we do xx instead' whinges.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If its a freebie then just choose a resort you've always wanted to go to !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee, Verbier would be good, perhaps - easy transfer from Geneva, snow-sure, skiing for all standards, plenty of nightlife. If the budget is limited/high luxury not required, I could recommend Hotel de la Poste - family run, friendly, right in the centre of town (ie superbly placed for lifts as well as bars, shops etc) good home-style cooking, nice swimming pool and remarkably inexpensive for all that. It can't be described as a luxury hotel, though. And the one thing I really missed there was a sauna/steamroom.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee, why not contact www.skiweekends.com
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nadenoodlee, in january 0bergurgl may be worth thinking about.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fly to Salzburg and "do" Austria.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch wrote:
Nadenoodlee, glaciers = longer transfers

Not necessarily; Flims/Laax 100 minutes from Friedrichshafen, Hintertux can't be far from Innbruck, Kaprun surely not far from Salzburg? And even in France, Grenoble to Alpe d'Huez or LDA isn't exactly a long trek
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Innsbruck, Salzburg, Grenoble, Nice and Geneva are all close to the slopes.

Use this website. It is a good tool:

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/index.html

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 2-08-07 15:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee, Try www.flexiblebreaks.com or www.mountainsunltd.com/index.html
latest report
Kitzbuhel
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Nadenoodlee, Are you jb1970 in drag?

Nah ... she isn't pannicking , yet.

Switzerland ( cache)
Villars
- Close transfer
- Reputedly easy skiing
- Glacier if they really can ski, or no snow Shocked

= A Grade for Nade Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, Can you convince them that you need to do a recce , just to check on things, then pick L2A, and pick the PSB as an excuse to check out the area and accomodation etc.
Then you get 2 free trips Madeye-Smiley
snow report
srobbo, At last, a moment of genius. Very Happy
latest report
Nadenoodlee, La Plagne of course Very Happy and you can catch up / re-live old times and
Toofy Grin as srobbo, says a recce trip is essential.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 2-08-07 17:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, It had to happen one day, maybe all the recent work trips to the TS postcode area's are affecting my brain Shock
snow conditions
srobbo, I suspect you are right. Blame the Smog Toofy Grin
snow report
Fly to Zurich and try Flims, transfers about an hour and a bit IIRC.

Reasonable costs for Hotels on B&B and you'll just need to hire a car/minibus/coach and drive it yourselves.

Off the Tourist/geneva radar so long weekends are easy to sort.

You could also call it the Crap Ski Tour.
latest report
Assuming a "bit" of nightlife is required I'd suggest either Chamonix or Verbier....
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
Fly to Zurich and try Flims, transfers about an hour and a bit IIRC.

Reasonable costs for Hotels on B&B and you'll just need to hire a car/minibus/coach and drive it yourselves.

Off the Tourist/geneva radar so long weekends are easy to sort.

You could also call it the Crap Ski Tour.

Obviously I'm biased and agree so I'm glad you suggested it Wink Can also fly STN to Friedrichshafen from where the new shuttle service advertises 100 minute journey time to the door. If you want a bit of comfort, the Laaxerhof is very Swiss, does good food and is right in the middle of things. If you really want to push the boat out, the Park Hotel in Flims Waldhaus is as posh as you could want. Plenty of other hotels of all categories in Flims Dorf. Laax Dorf is pretty and quiet but a bit out of the way for a weekend. The locals say the real skiers stay in Laax Murschetg and the people who just want to go up for a couple of runs and then enjoy the scenery with a Glühwein or Jägertee stay in Laax Dorf Wink
latest report
eng_ch, Is the Park the same as the Sunstar ? If yes I have my eye on that. Tell me more. One downside is that Swiss fly/rail luggage does not operate in Flims and I have got used to that for other Swiss resorts.
ski holidays
Latchigo, no, they're different hotels.

http://www.parkhotel-waldhaus.ch/index.cfm

http://www.sunstar.ch/english/flims/sites/anreise.htm

Sunstar are evidently doing an offer of 7 nights stay to include transfer ticket and they pick you up from the bus stop in Flims with their shuttle

Can't say as I've ever stayed in a hotel there, but most of the decent ones run shuttles to and from the lifts. The postbus has plenty of luggage space incl ski rack and most of the hotels are within, say, 100m of a bus stop so I guess there is deemed to be less need for the fly/rail service as everything is pretty well served as it is
snow report
Verbier or Val.... Assuming that nightlife is as important as the skiing. And the kudos for getting this thing going in two top class resorts.... Little Angel

Zermatt is 3-4 hrs from GVA
Val D ..well, you would know better as its a bout 40 mins on from Aime.
Verbier 90-120 from GVA.

Train to St A....via Eurostar/IC ........
or Zurich 3 hrs or so.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, Thanks. The reason for the question is there is a Sunstar and also Sunstar Park in Davos next to one another. I really like the Sunstar Park in Davos and would not hesitate to go back.

I am used to postbuses. They also have the same thing in Austria; but it does mean using left luggage if you choose to break your journey for lunch sightseeing.
latest report
Echo Kaprun via Salzburg and Hintertux via Salzburg or Munich if you want a short transfer glacier.
latest report
Thank you all for your recommendations- I shall start doing a bit of research on the places you've mentionned and try and narrow it down. Aah I can smell the vin chaud already!
snow report
why january? If you can go in november, I hear atomic are offering a very good deal Smile
snow report
My slightly clueless mate landed himself in a similar situation and also had to cater for non-skiers too! He went for Chamonix. OK you can argue the skiing isn't the most suitable for a mixed group and so but what you are after is something which is:

1. easy to organise
2. offers everyone a decent chance of not having a bad time

The thing about Cham is that there is a massive range of accommodation; lots of bars/restaurants; great scenery; stuff for non-skiers and there is skiing for all standards. It's convenient for Geneva and there are more ways of getting from Geneva to Cham than you can shake a stick at. The skiing may be laid out a bit funny but it's there. A work trip will be more about skiing (and drinking) with your colleagues than top-notch* skiing IMO.

(*Cham has top notch skiing but it isn't for everyone)
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, the company I work for does a similar thing Thursday - Monday mid - late Jan for 24 people. The last 4 years we've done Serre Che twice (everyone's favourite), St Martin de Belleville (good, but quiet nightlife) & La Clusaz (awful). Next year, by popular demand we're back to Serre Che again.

The person who organises it used to run his own chalet company, but now works independently, organising trips such as these. If you want his contact details send me a PM.
snow report
Arno,
Quote:

The skiing may be laid out a bit funny

Particularly if you're not there for very long, this could be a real disadvantage unless you've got your own in-resort transport.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, Tignes . . . it's iconic and in easy reach of the flesh-pots of Val D'Isease, has a glacier and there are many accommodation options, Try Joanne at Mountain Sun (doing the Atomic thrash) as a first point of call.

edit: if you just want them to be entertained and completely brain-*ooked by the time they get back . . . anywhere in Austria . . . if anything goes wrong, no-one, especially yer boss is going to care or remember.

Partying on the company CC . . . who's a lucky cow wink . . . of course, for a suitable remuneration I will take this onerous monkey off your back Twisted Evil

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 3-08-07 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Nadenoodlee, if you decide on Serre Che, PM me, I may be able to suggest some good accommodation depending on how many of you there are, and I don't mean my place.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee,
Try the Dragon Lodge in Tignes - they are usually flexible over dates,
http://www.dragonlodge.com/

as are tignes.co.uk's chalet
http://www.tignes.co.uk/catered.htm

You could probably arrange transfers with either of them too.
Try to use Chambery airport - only a 2 hour transfer.
Saturday is easily the quietest day of the week on the slopes of Espace, followed by Sunday, so a long weekend is a good time to visit. snowHead
latest report
Masque,
Quote:

of course, for a suitable remuneration I will take this onerous monkey off your back

No one has mentioned La Ros yet Shocked Laughing
snow report
Bristol - Inns with easyjet, depart Friday early return Monday, 2.5 days skiing, closest snow 4 km from airport, St Anton 100 km, easy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy