Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is 6 too young?

Poster: A snowHead
Here's the problem, my 6 year old is desperate to be like her older brothers. She's been skiing for 3 years and is pretty good. She's started learning a few tricks, but all she wants to do is snowboard. I've been telling her that she's not old enough but now she's seen
this.

What is a realistic age to start? How small does the equipment come?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My youngest is 6 today & when we go next year, he wants to board rather than ski.

I think I'll probably make him ski first though, as unless a child has exceptional balance, he may be put off by all the falling over.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marmalade, 6 should be fine if you can find kit to fit (boots/binding/board). Kids that age are quite weeble like, bottom heavy, very stable and they bounce well. More important than should she board is finding a good instructor that has experience, understanding and takes pride in teaching kids and not someone low on the instructor totem-pole that sees having to teach kids as a chore that has to be time-served before getting to the adult clients.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey,

the equipment comes in pretty small sizes but could be hard to find in most rental shops..... if you get the chance to source some before you leave it may save some disapointment....

as regards to her learning, as long as she has a reasonable understanding of balance and can control it then it shouldnt be a problem at all...... there are loads of kids toys that can help them learn too - cant remember the name of one but its a round disc with a ball in the middle that they stand on and jump around, really good for co-ordination. The fact she skis well is to her advantage too

good luck!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That video is ace - I wish i could board that well!!! Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

as long as she has a reasonable understanding of balance and can control it then it shouldnt be a problem at all

She does Kung-Fu and Ballet (not at the same time) so gets plenty of balance practice.

Masque,
We're going to Avoriaz which, I think is good for snowboarding tuition so I'm hoping that we can find a child friendly instructor. Not like the bitsch they had from ESF Le Grand Bornand last year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marmalade, not surprised she wants to board after seeing that video. Inspirational for any self respecting 6 year old, I'd say! I've seen very little kids starting to board the last few years, often with boarding parents, and they seem fine. Falling over doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for them, if they're motivated. Does she skateboard? That's probably the best preparation. And of course, you'll be learning with her, won't you? wink 6 is a lot better age to start snowboarding than 60, that's for sure.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had to reply to this thread as I really think that 6 is too young, however sporty they are. I teach snowboarding when I'm not teaching skiing (which is rare!!) and my other half is a full-time snowboard instructor. In our opinion, kids at 6 are just not strong enough. If any of you have learned snowboarding recently, you'll understand how difficult the first few days are. Kids will fall over just as much as adults on a board, and falling when you're a learner snowboarder hurts a lot more than when you're a learner skiier. The last 6 year old I tried to teach was adamant he wanted to learn to board (and so was his mum) but after three days of pain and lots of tears, he went to ski school and had a smile on his face at the end of every day. If she's adamant, perhaps have a trial day at one of the indoor slopes?

Contrary to kids who learn to ski, tiny kids who learn to board usually learn at a much slower pace than older kids and adults. Plus, unless its a big ski school during half term, or she has private lessons, she will be with older and stronger kids and may feel held back (as it's very rare for a 6 year old to board).

of course, there's always a few kids who shine, but for a week's holiday, I'd have her stick to skiing until she's a little bit older. I have a niece the same age and I couldn't imagine her boarding until she's much older.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmalade, My kids want to board as well - I found this website some time ago;

http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?SubCat=31

also this one; http://www.extremesports.ltd.uk/snowboard/product152-1773.htm

can she skateboard?

As per ssnowman, & nice, I really want them to be able to ski well first. Interesting to read nice, 's 2nd para about the learning pace - I have watched my kids learning to ski for the last 2/3 years and I had concluded that the perfect age to learn is 9 - they just seem to learn so much more quickly.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 1-08-07 9:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Useful to have an input from an instructor. I agree the learning curve is steep and painful (try it when you're 58!) but it depends on the kid. There are some very young kids boarding round our resort, with parents as far as I can tell, and they look happy and relaxed. Have also seen very young ones in a ski school group and they didn't look too unhappy to me. However, I can imagine many kids who just couldn't cope, and should either not try, or would give up very quickly. Very much like skateboarding; some very young kids do extremely well, but some who are keen for the street cred lack either the coordination or the right pain threshold, and don't do it.

I am pretty wary of parents pushing kids in any way, and I can't bear to see little skinny girls doing advanced gymnastics; a form of child abuse, in my view. But with the right protective clothing, good conditions, and a little board, a day to "try it out" would be preferable to a battle of wills with a child who is determined to learn. I have three children, grownup now. Only one could have learnt to snowboard at 6, if it had been invented then; the other two definitely not. This little girl is already a good skier at 6 and obviously sporty; I wouldn't want to be the parent who forbade her to have a go! Let her try, and if she doesn't like it, no "I told you so's"!

I don't like to take issue with an instructor, but having been a very elderly beginner boarder I'm not sure that physical strength is very important. I am not particularly strong, and I don't board for too long, or in difficult conditions. Gentle sliding down a prepared piste seems to me to need coordination, like any other new learned activity, plus the determination to keep getting up and trying again and ignoring the pain when you get out of bed to go to the loo in the middle of the night! Getting up from a fall on a snowboard is one of the easiest bits - far easier than the same manoevre on skis. It requires a bit more fitness than skiing, because just getting around on the flat is such a pain, but a sporty 6 year old has fitness in spades. I can see that many 6 year olds lack the coordination/procioception, whatever, but some 6 year olds are brilliantly coordinated.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I think you are probably right about letting them try it - my kids are learning to ski in norwich and at the moment they cannot insure boarders under the age of 12 - so neither of them are allowed (thankfully not my say so!).

marmalade, I have noticed that some independent ski schools offer special weeks where they ski some days & board others. This seems the perfect solution to me snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The whole argument may turn out to be irrelevant, as most schools won't take tham under 8 for boarding. Unless you want to teach her yourself.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not a parent myself so admittedly I can't empathise with "pleeeeease mum" aspect of it all!

The main difficulty, I think, is not their strength, but the fact that there is less opportunity to just "follow me", as with skiing. We've all marvelled at really young kids following an instructor like little ducklings, making snowplough turns after one day. However, in snowboarding you really have to explain how the turn is made, rather than just watching and following, and this is where it can become difficult with really young kids - there's no 'pizza slices' involved in snowboarding, unfortunately! If anyone knows of any tricks used to teach little kids to board, please pass them on...

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck, and just make sure the kids are enjoying themselves!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nice, great advice - I will probably go for the small school approach with half skiing / half boarding. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just as input on the contrary to nice's comment.....

I too am an instructor, and i still feel its something that kids that young are capable to do........ I only ever teach on a 1 to max of 4 basis and dont find a problem...

But like most situations, every person and every experience is different!
snow conditions
Great debate guys!

Quote:

of course, you'll be learning with her, won't you?

pam w, Absoloutely....NOT!
I have tried 2 snowboarding tasters I really wanted to like it but I really HATED it!
I hate to admit it but despite not being that old, I just couldn't take it. A joint/back disease means that I probably shouldn't ski and really shouldn't board.

As the twins didn't start boarding until age 8, I have decided to try and put 'Junior' off for at least another year. Might let her do a Taster if it's on offer but don't want to knock her conficence with lots of falling over. Besides, it's great to see her skiing so well. Selfishly, I don't want to see go back to square one - she might be the next Chemmy Alcott!
ski holidays
marmalade wrote:
- she might be the next Chemmy Alcott!

Aye but she might be the next (female) Terje.
ski holidays
marmalade, for a dodgy back I think boarding is bettter, if you keep a good posture and bend from the knees Very Happy
latest report
rayscoops,

What about all the falling over though? Every time I fell on my arrse, despite the generous padding, I couldn't help feeling that it was doing me no good (and my ego was also bruised!) I'm sure Snowboarding is a low impact sport if you're good at it but in my case there was nothing but impact Sad
snow report
Ride in powder. It hurts less. If you do let her snowboard make sure she wears wrist guards.
snow conditions
Japow,

Good point. My boys have always had their own writst guards (although last year a shop in Castleford sold us a pair with 2 left hands!). Can I get them small enough for a small child?

Where can I order loads of powder?!?
snow report
marmalade, I think that most people here are saying that as long as you have good fitting equipment, an interested and informed instructor, and a child that really wants to learn and is willing to suffer the indignities and effort that snowboarding can inflict on you . . . . then let her go for it. If it doesn't pan out, then she can decide to return to planks until she's ready to try again.
I'm not a fan of wrist guards, I think they're responsible for more damage than they prevent and in children of that age, bones are far more resilient and faster healing than in us crusties.

The most important part of learning to board, at whatever age, is to learn and understand how and why a board responds to the human input and to learn to control that input. Initially that is a slow process, but once the brain is 'wired' the learning curve becomes very shallow till you start bouncing off the furniture . . . and for that you need additional skills.
ski holidays
I disagree about the wrist guards. I have not known anyone to break there wrist whilst wearing them. The impact is usually tranferred to the forearm which is a much more rehab friendly area to break. I would be interested if you have any stats stating otherwise. Sorry to scare you Marmalade. Oh and I have been riding Japan pow for the last few years. You can put your order in for this winter if you like.
snow report
marmalade, My neice was 6 when she started snow-boarding. She was a gymnast & generally quite sporty. She took to it like a duck to water & has never looked back. She's 12 now & loves it - is also very good & tackles stuff that I would rather die first than attempt rolling eyes
ski holidays
Japow, it's also the case that if you hit the ground with enough force to break the big bones in your arm you were going to trash your wrist completely anyway.
snow report
Japow,
Quote:

You can put your order in for this winter if you like

Love to but don't think the budget would stretch to it.

geri,
Quote:

My neice was 6 when she started snow-boarding

Where did she learn? Ant probs getting equipment small enough?
ski holidays
Masque, I'm not a fan of wrist guards, I think they're responsible for more damage than they prevent and in children of that age, bones are far more resilient and faster healing than in us crusties.
Some useful information
www.ski-injury.com/wrist.htm
latest report
Japow, My opinion is formed by witnessing 4 different cases where forces had been transferred to the forearm resulting in breaks, one of those was compound and VERY messy. I don't tell people not to wear them, I'm just not a fan of them. If you read back through my drivel you'll find that I've always advocated learning to fall properly a the best solution.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmmmmm ... time for a new pair of guards/gloves perhaps.
latest report
marmalade, I seem to remember it was in Tignes. My brother also boards, so he helped her - but she had a couple of private lessons to start with.

No probs wiith equipment.
ski holidays
Masque, I think the main think about wrist guards (I like them) is to make sure they are flexible so they absorb some of the force rather than just transfering it causing the horrendous forearm breaks you mention. I wear gloves with very bendy protecters built in, IMO they've saved my wrists on at least one occasion and I'm happy to wear them, I think that in the case of a really big slam I could still snap a wrist but I try to avoid those. Also I've trashed the palms of my gloves, without the protectors they would have worn through so they've also saved me shelling out for a new pair Smile
snow report
Wife and I had a 6 year old in our party last year in Andorra,she was a darling. After a few days she was keeping up with the rest of us and was the star attraction in the bar at night(she was the best dancer by far!)--- only one problem- her mother wouldn't let us adopt her! Love to see kids boarding - they are fearless.
ski holidays
nice, sorry nice but you dont have a c lue what your talking about.

my daughter is disabled (hemapligia right sided) she started snowboarding at 5, she snowboards and ski's better than most adutls who are just learning. It has taken her longer than most kids due to her disability but she has passed her level one snowboarding and loved is 100% more than skiing.

If your child really wants to do it, then let them do it! Most ski shops (certainly here in serre che) have boards and boots and bindings small enough for a 5 year old. Just dont pressure them.

here is the link to a vid taken on my phone of her snowboarding http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=6631485

here is a pic of neils Regnier, he started snowboarding at 2, he is now, at the tender age of 12, the french junior half pipe and sloap style champion. Just try telling his folks that he was too young to learn, they'll laugh in your face!

ski holidays
Quote:

Most ski shops (certainly here in serre che) have boards and boots and bindings small enough for a 5 year old

snowangel., That's good news as I really thought it might be difficult to hire gear for littlies. I'm very impressed by the vid. I certainly won't be pushing her as her skiing is progressing so well I'm still a bit reluctant to let her switch.
snow report
marmalade,

If you are going to be in Avoriaz, I can very highly reccomend mint snowboarding school. Tammy, who runs it and also does a lot of the teaching is an expert at getting the best out of (almost) anyone.

I don't know if she has any age limits for her classes, but perhaps a two hour private lesson would be a good way to find out if your daughter really wants to continue with boarding, or go back to skiing without annoying the rest of the class.

J

PS I started skiing at the age of three and don't remember having any problems - but I'm sure there were plenty of tantrums! So much easier than learning to board at 20 when I had to actually think about what I was doing and was old enough to be scared!
snow conditions
snowangel., I take offence at your comment about me.

I DO know what I'm talking about, being a qualified and experienced snowboard instrutor. I'm not denying that some kids can pick it up early, it's just my experience that a six year old coming for a five day course will not always be able to manage it. Your daughter and her friends have the advantage of living in the mountains so there's less pressure to suceed in such a short time.
ski holidays
snowangel., you seemed to be having trouble keeping up with the little 'n Very Happy
snow report
oopalley, Thanks for the recommendation! Very Happy That's really helpful as I've been wondering about who to use for lessons in Avoriaz. Been before but not with kids and not had lessons.

How do I get in touch with Tammy, is there a website? Little M has been skiing since the age of 3 (now 6) so is well prepared for a short boarding lesson as you suggest. Won't be pushing her into a full week at this stage as I don't want to put her off snow boarding or slow the great progress she's making with her skiing. Just want to let her give it a try in order to stop the ear ache that she's giving me!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy