Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Always remember to get off the lift at the top! (Video)

Poster: A snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is why there is signage all over the place telling people to take rucksacks off before getting on the chairs. Berk.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why didn't they just reverse the lift? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was this the chap who cut the straps with a penknife?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great commentary track rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I experienced a similar but not quite so spectacular incident in Tignes in 1990 when after been told to remove my back pack I cliped the belt strap together and put my arms through the shoulder straps so that the back pack was on my front for security when I skied off. Wrong, belt buckle dropped through the seat and wrenched me back on the chair, as I went round the wheel I tripped the cutout switch. However by the time it came to a stop I was suspended 3m above the rocy cliff. 5 very long minutes before the belt strap gave way at the junction with the back pack, lift had been reversed enough for the drop to be only 2m. I'm very careful now rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman wrote:
Why didn't they just reverse the lift? Puzzled

Not that easy to quickly reverse a lift I imagine. Think of the people who have just got on at the bottom. Lifts are not exactly designed to unload skiers backwards at the bottom, it would take some co-ordination and would have to be done very slowly. No doubt they were preparing to do this but didn't have time to put it into action.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When the video has finished playing you get a chance to see the Mississippi bridge that collapsed last night - far more terrifying.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How many more scary horror lift movies are in the offing? I always take my backpack off, but there are other ways of getting hung up. One of my nephews got the straps on his salopettes caught (he was skiing without a jacket, on a warm day). The liftie took his time to stop the lift - humungeous wedgie was the result.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I leave my backpack on for lifts, never been asked to remove it, never had a problem (yet)!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the ice perv, I'd be surprised if you've never passed a sign saying (or illustrating) no backpacks on the chair lift. That chap on the video had probably never had a problem before either.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B, I should have said "never been vocally asked" Smile
Yeah we've all seen the signs, most of my mates ski/board with packs too but none of them take the pack off. In fact I don't recall ever seeing anyone take their pack off in a lift queue. Granted there is probably a small risk but if I was that nervous about things I doubt I'd be skiing in the first place.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I leave the waist strap done up and swing it around to the front. Otherwise you are perched rather far forward on the chair which I don't like.
But most of my friends leave their packs on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Backpacks should be banned from lifts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I keep usually keep mine on but am always VERY wary of making sure I have no loose straps or buckles. Allso before getting of I lean forward to make sure all is free. Generally only ac amelback or similar these days.
snow report
stanton, killjoy. It's highly amusing watching the nitwits dangle helplessly until someone rescues them.
latest report
stanton wrote:

Don't be silly. Just make sure all clips are done up and there are no bits dangling. I've worn a pack for over twenty years without incident.
snow report
Tim Brown wrote:
stanton wrote:

Don't be silly. Just make sure all clips are done up and there are no bits dangling. I've worn a pack for over twenty years without incident.

What do people carry in these BackPacks ? I,ve been on the slopes on & off Piste more than 30 yrs and never worn one. Everthing I need is in my Jacket.
snow conditions
When the Dutch are in your gondola you will need a backpack for the following:
High Performance goggles to protect you from the strong orange glare
Ear defenders - the noise will be deafening
Shovel - To clear the cabin of the bullpoo-poo that will have been spouted during the journey
Transceiver - To find your friend buried onder the bullpoo-poo avalance
Red string - For snow avalanches, its the only real aid required
wink[/img]
latest report
stanton wrote:
Tim Brown wrote:
stanton wrote:

What do people carry in these BackPacks ? I,ve been on the slopes on & off Piste more than 30 yrs and never worn one. Everthing I need is in my Jacket.
This seems irresponsible. What are you going to do when you see people buried in an avalanche - just hope someone else is around who has shovel and probe (and perhaps some dry clothing and first aid pack). Banning back packs would mean effectively banning off-piste skiing - except for those prepared to do all their own uplift by climbing (ie one good descent per day).
By the way, talking of climbing, do you keep your skins and harscheisen in your jacket or don't you do any skinning?
snow conditions
I knida get the feeling that by offpiste he meant within the resort, but off the groomed trails. In which case you shouldn't need the shovels etc.

I personally keep lunch and water in my pack when skiing inbounds, as well as some spare tape etc for blisters. I don't like stopping skiing to walk to the car for lunch, and the food on the mountain is bloody expensive.
latest report
Quote:

within the resort, but off the groomed trails. In which case you shouldn't need the shovels

Puzzled
snow report
Ban backpacks from lifts???? Becoz a mere handful of people have been snagged compared to hundreds of thousands over many years who haven't? Get a grip stanton!
ski holidays
the ice perv, like a lot of people, stanton would like to ban things of which he disapproves. There ought to be a law against that.
latest report
 brian
brian
nzbassist, in europe if you go beyond the piste marker poles you're out of the resort. There is no "inbounds" off piste. Although not all pistes are groomed.
snow conditions
laundryman, Nice one Laughing
ski holidays
Having had a similar but not as dramatic experience a few years ago in Tignes, and having only had to drop a metre or so I'm now very careful about having all my straps done up on my rucksack. I think I would be far more nervous carrying it on my lap and loosing it either on route or crating a hazard on getting off. I also don't want to look like a Mr Blobby with too much gear in my jacket. Razz
snow conditions
stanton, ???? Shocked Shocked Puzzled Puzzled

Are you related to DG? I got the impression you were on of the most experienced skiers on this forum? And someone who skied in the US a lot?

Frost the Snowman Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy