Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko (Hokkaido) - Japan

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been to this resort who can comment on the quality? All write-ups point to fantastic powder throughout the ski season but I am keen on finding out if, as a result, it gets really busy with long queues at the lifts etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just frequent Earthquakes Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:
Just frequent Earthquakes Very Happy

Earthquakes I can deal with, but big queues...NO way!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hornster wrote:
Has anyone been to this resort who can comment on the quality? All write-ups point to fantastic powder throughout the ski season but I am keen on finding out if, as a result, it gets really busy with long queues at the lifts etc.

I've been twice, and powder is as good as reputed.

I was there NY Day, and there were lines. It also gets moderately busy during the Sapporo Ice Festival in Feb, but wasn't too bad. Otherwise lines are pretty much non-existent.

Things to ponder - it's become the Aussie equivalent of Bali. Can be a little raucous in busy periods (Aussies there mostly early Jan to mid-Feb). Terrain is reasonably extensive, tree skiing is amazing, but very little seriously steep. And of course, lots of pow means some pretty wild weather - don't expect much sun from mid-Dec to end Feb.

Personally I'd highly recommend it. Food is rather spectacular too ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the useful information. I have booked 10 days in the first two weeks of February so, as you mentioned, I will probably be there the same time as the Aussie holidays etc which could make it quite busy. Anyway, as long as there is plenty pow i'm sure I will cope! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hornster wrote:
Thanks for the useful information. I have booked 10 days in the first two weeks of February so, as you mentioned, I will probably be there the same time as the Aussie holidays etc which could make it quite busy. Anyway, as long as there is plenty pow i'm sure I will cope! Very Happy

look forward to a dose of Aussie 'culture'. Ice festival is 5-11 Feb, so that will probably be the busy time. I'm sure you'll have a ball tho.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am going after first week in March, hoping to miss the Aussie queue.

Think there is a snowhead instructor there. Just ask for Welsh Mike.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You rang?

Living here at the moment (here being Hirafu which is the main village for the Niseko area resorts) and will be spending my second winter instructing part-time and working in real estate part-time.

I have the luxury of pretty much working where I like when it comes to winter seasons (worked at Big Mountain, Montana; Kicking Horse, BC; Park City, Utah; Keystone, Colorado; Civetta, Dolomites) so if this place didn't live up to and exceed the hype then I wouldn't be hanging around.

Quite a few myths have become 'fact' about this area. Here's my take.

Lots of Aussies? Yes. I work for an Australian company. But in comparison with the Brits in European resorts, not even close. And you can quite easily avoid then if you like.

Earthquakes? No, well not yet wink

Lots of snow? YES

Lots of powder? YES

Cold? No. -2 to -10 C

No sun? Rubbish. I've got plenty of pics from last winter skiing bluebird powder conditions. Storms roll in and roll out really quickly. Snow and sun in the same hour some days.

Food is dynamite and cheap by European and US standards.

Japanese are very gracious hosts.

You'll be very unlucky to queue for longer than 5 minutes. If you do, it's most probably because the lifts are on wind/snow hold.

Not the steepest resort I've skied, but there's enough if you know where to look wink

Any other specifics. Fire away.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been to Niseko a few times over the years. Good early on but a lot more crowded these days and the pow gets chopped up a lot quicker. March is quieter as the aussies tend to go earlier in the season. I tend to head to the resorts on Honshu (the main island) now. Nowaza Onsen Shiga Kogan and onother little place that I will never mention. When asked by friends I tell them to head to Hakuba in Nagano. It is probably the most user friendly place for foreigners, the skiing is endless, the pow is deep and the apres has been influenced by westerners enough to be pretty good. The Japanese usually have an onsen a meal with a couple of drinks and then go to bed. Food and drink is cheap. Try to spend a couple of days in Tokyo as well. The place is wild.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow, Japow,

Cheers for all the information - very helpful.
Just a couple questions:

1) Although I may love pow (which is why I chose Niseko) the wife prefers to keep to groomed pistes. I'm assuming that the pistes are kept well groomed?

2) Is there a popular area in Niseko with regards to certain runs and places to be seen? Only ask as those will obviously be much busier areas.

3) Is there a local ski tech. place where I can get our skis waxed and edges sharpened and how much does it cost?

4) We are staying at the Higashiyama Prince Hotel in Niseko. Do you know what the hotel and area are like?

Thanks in advance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1) Yes.
Easiest pistes are in the Annupuri area of 'Niseko United'. Not the local football team, but the conglomeration of 4 ski areas under 1 pass - Annupuri, Higashiyama, Hirafu and Hanazono (the last two are under Grand Hirafu). Convoluted but it works.

2) Grand Hirafu is the busiest. But that's relative.

3) There'll be one at the Prince. There are tech places in Hirafu, but it wouldn't be convenient for you. No idea of the cost sorry.

4) Hotel is great. Couple of shops and restaurants. Pretty isolated unfortunately. The main action is in Hirafu village approx 7km from Higashiyama. There's a free bus that'll get you to and from Hirafu every hour and if you have a late one there are taxis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow, Thanks again.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pleasure.

Keep in touch. We'll make some turns in Feb.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, that sounds like a plan. Always good to get local knowledge.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When does the snow season usually start in earnest? How about early January? Last time I was in Naganoin mid-December and it didn't have enough coverage (it also happen to be a warm year, according to the locals).

Will be in Asia Christmas/New Year of 2008 anyway. So if there's good potential for enough snow, it'll be worth extending my vacation to do some sliding around...
snow report
Japan is one of the cleverest, most sophisticated nations on Earth. Whatever they do is usually good.

Niseko rocks, but it is not overly steep. Top scenery, with pointy mountains.

This website is a useful tool for tracking that part of the world:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/index.php
snow conditions
Japow wrote:
and onother little place that I will never mention.

Ah! Lesort X. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
abc. Not sure what year you were there but I have skiied 05 and 06 in December in Nagano. 05 they had 8 metres fall in December. Best skiing I have seen anywhere in the world. January you will be fine and should have everything open including all the off piste.
snow report
Japow, great! I'm all excited!!!
ski holidays
Lifts start turning in the Niseko area mid-November if there have been some early dumps, end of November otherwise.

Oh go on Japow there's only a handful of us reading this post Laughing
latest report
Nagano vs. Hokaido?

I know Nagano can now be easily reached by the bullet train, which probably make the journey a bit shorter than going to Hakaido. But how's the snow & terrain compare?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 6-08-07 0:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Sorry MP, I better back it up with something. I haven't got the official snowfall data only what I was being told by locals and some personal observations. My joy of having so much snow was saddened after so many people lost their lives. http://www.adrc.or.jp/view_disaster_en.php?Lang=en&Key=922&Frame=yes
The terrain is the biggest difference between the two. You will notice that you will very rarely see pictures of Niseko. What you will see are pics of Yotei, the old volcano across from the resort. Nagano has a few resort areas. Hakuba is probably the most preffered by internationals with big mountains and 10 resorts in the valley. Happo One is the biggest. Snow falls depend on where you ride in the valley. Apparently Cortina at the northern end of the valley has some of the highest snowfalls in Japan. Either place is great fun. For me I like the terrain around Nagano.
snow report
Do I assume the Japanese are somewhat similar in their equipment hiring scence?

I'm not going to be able to lugg my skis all over Asia on that trip. I could easily bring my boot and hire skis, as long as they don't get too "surprised" at such an option/request.
ski holidays
No problem with hiring (unless you have huge feet). There is more than 500 ski resorts in Japan.
ski holidays
Quote:

There is more than 500 ski resorts in Japan.

Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
Liam,
Not another pedant who prefers are to is Puzzled
ski holidays
Some good info on compare and contrast here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87691&highlight=japan+jongified
latest report
Vocab police. [nerd]
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
Nagano vs. Hokaido?

I know Nagano can now be easily reached by the bullet train, which probably make the journey a bit shorter than going to Hakaido. But how's the snow & terrain compare?

I've been to Niseko twice, and then spent a week at Hakuba, mostly skiing Happo, one day at Hakuba-47 too. Also went to Nozowa Onsen and Shiga Kogen - not Hakuba ski areas.

We hit 'Hakuba Beach' weather, so didn't get to experience the reputed great snow they get there. It was fun spring skiing though (in feb 2006), and terrain at Happo is good - consistent and excellent fall line.

Happo was frustrating tho, as altho it has a pretty good open boundary policy, the terrain is steep and off-piste is not patrolled or avi-safe. In fact it looked down-right dangerous due to melting conditions on a deep base, So that was all off limits. Hakuba-47 is not as big, but has a strongly enforced no off-piste policy - patrol will rip your pass if you're caught. So nice trails, but until off-trail is accessible, I wouldn't rush back.

Didn't visit any of the other 8 or so Hakuba hills, as they all seemed pretty small, and we found enough interest at Happo for a week. Some really fun bump fields ...

As for apres, Hakuba is not a patch on Niseko. Much quieter, hard to get food/drink after 9.30 during the week. Food is excellent tho. English not widely spoken, but it's easy to get by as locals are very friendly.

We stayed a 5 minute walk from lifts at Happo. Was a shuttle bus too. Town was about 3 miles away, so taxi required, and apart from restaurants, we didn't find much of interest there.

Don't think I'd rush back. While terrain is certainly good, unless you get a shovel and beacon and guide, you're not going to experience it at its best. I'd rather go to Jackson, Whistler, Big Sky or Snowbird. And it doesn't have anything as 'special' as Niseko's powder.
snow conditions
The problem with Hakuba is the lack of information.
Happo has some hard to find terrain as the trees hide a lot of the skiable off piste areas. I have been there enough now to know where to go and am still learning new spots. I like the fact as they are difficult to find as my main reason I go there is to ride untracked powder. (So no tips from me)
Goryu/47 does have a nazi off piste policy that is pretty well known so I usually wouldn't ride there.
Tsugaike Sun Alpina, and Cortina with their links are big ski areas as well so you missed out there. (Not small - Once again lack of info on the resorts)
Apres is all about Echoland. Great bars and restaurants (maybe 20 of) and probably only a 800yen taxi ride from your area. The Happo area is very quiet at night. I tend to stay around Echoland when I go there. Once again no info. There are a lot more foreigners moving into Hakuba so I think things may change in the near future.
The main thing I look at is the powder and terrain. Niseko is good but in deep pow I want steep terrain. I also have the benefit of it being under 2.5 hours away from Tokyo. so I can choose my days
Whatever floats ya boat.
snow report
Looks like for anyone ventureing outside of Europe and N.America, an avi kit and good avi knowledge will be very useful?

At least that's my impression. Most of these "off the beaten path" places are indeed really REALLY off-piste with a big O! Wink
snow report
Beyond the boundaries in the Niseko area, then avalanche gear a must. Within the boundaries, not needed.

Very liberal 'off-piste' policy at Niseko United, Moiwa and Rusutsu.

As long as you don't duck a rope and you exit through gates you're good to go.
snow report
Japow wrote:
The problem with Hakuba is the lack of information.
Happo has some hard to find terrain as the trees hide a lot of the skiable off piste areas. I have been there enough now to know where to go and am still learning new spots.

We did find some good trees but after 3 days of heat and sun the now was pretty sloppy and sun-affected everywhere. It was seriously warm - like 16C at the base. The sun is strong at those latitudes.

Certainly didn't know other smaller hills were linked. Would've explored if we did. And found out about Echoland after we left, but not exactly convenient for lifts there? Shuttle buses we caught were ok but took time. I'm sure it can be epic there - maybe one day when its further developed .... but not too much.
snow conditions
Mike Pow wrote:
Beyond the boundaries in the Niseko area, then avalanche gear a must. Within the boundaries, not needed.

So it looks like it's worth the hike from Honshu all the way up to Hokkaido then?
snow report
abc wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

So it looks like it's worth the hike from Honshu all the way up to Hokkaido then?

I'd second that idea ...
snow conditions
Just been emailed this link http://www.worldclassskiing.net/adventure.aspx BASI trainers running an adventure trip to Japan. £2765. Does anyone know anything about WSC and does that look like a good price for 2 weeks?
snow report
 monster77
monster77
elbrus, World Class skiing, was run by Andy Lockerbie, John Gardiner and Alex Leaf, well known instructors. I believe that Andy & John are no longer involved and Alex Leaf is the company director.

I have been on some very good courses with WCS. There is detail of courses on their web site.

The price sounds reasonable for what you get and was tempted by the trip to Japan but at that price it would be my only trip of the season. So I am going to give it a miss and get 3-4 weeks in europe instead.
latest report
Don't know anything about the company, but not the best trip for the money.

Furano, while a beautiful area, does not advocate skiing off the groomed. People do it but you can get your ticket pulled.

IMHO you don't travel half way round the world to an area with phenomenal powder snow to either ski the groomed or play hide & seek from Ski Patrol.

Very isolated out at Annupuri and a week of half-board hotel dining doesn't really give you a varied Japanese culinary experience.

Would be better doing a two centre holiday with Inghams.

One week in Rusutsu and one week in Niseko area.

Pick up lessons locally. Quick plug for the guys I work for www.nisekobase.com

As an instructor having 10 days straight of lessons is counterproductive.

Better off having private lessons for a day or two at the start and end of each week.

Lessons at the start will get you up to speed and show you the area, then you go put it all into practice at your pace. Then meet back up for a couple of days at the end of the week to consolidate.

That's my 2 yen worth
snow report
If you stay at the Hakuba Powder Lodge then you will get the good oil on when, where and how to ski off piste as most of the lodgers are experienced off piste skiers. The owner are also mad keen on deep pow. http://www.hakubahotels.com/property_info.asp?ID=1037
PS I dont have a stake in the Lodge but Ive stayed there and found them great for info and help.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy