Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What snowblades should i buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

They just strap on a set of blades

strap???? when where straps ever used on snowblades wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graeme wrote:
come on, at least when i stated skiboards where safer i provided evidence (current or not). rolling eyes

But I didn't state anything, I simply said what my experience was. Other people can say what their own experience is; presumably you will state that in your experience bladers/snowboarders are technically superior on average to skiers and snowboarders?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

presumably you will state that in your experience

please dont try and presume anything about me, you dont know me enough to attempt that
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme wrote:
Quote:

presumably you will state that in your experience

please dont try and presume anything about me, you dont know me enough to attempt that

Consider it as an invitation to share your experience rather than any presumed knowledge about your views on the world (of snowsports)...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:

I've thought that might account for it

I thought you might have thought about that already.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

I've thought that might account for it

I thought you might have thought about that already.

Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why would i claim that skiboarders are technically better than skiers? sorry but i dont feel the need to say one sport is better than the other. i say have fun on snow whatever way you want.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
graeme wrote:
why would i claim that skiboarders are technically better than skiers? sorry but i dont feel the need to say one sport is better than the other.

But you do feel the need to say that one is safer than the other, and to "correct" those people who call it snowblading.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hold on a second, why not look back at threads about skiboarding, you will see that many people have claimed that skiboarding is more dangerous than skiing. i showed that this is not the case. the sport i participate in is not called snowblading, it is called skiboarding, that is a fact
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
graeme wrote:
why would i claim that skiboarders are technically better than skiers? sorry but i dont feel the need to say one sport is better than the other. i say have fun on snow whatever way you want.

why would you claim that they are different sports?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
graeme wrote:
hold on a second, why not look back at threads about skiboarding, you will see that many people have claimed that skiboarding is more dangerous than skiing. i showed that this is not the case. the sport i participate in is not called snowblading, it is called skiboarding, that is a fact

Many people might have claimed that, but I've said that in my experience a higher proportion of bladers/skiboarders (or whatever pedantic title you want to use) are more of a risk to other people on the pistes because relatively few of them seem to be able to control their speed and trajectory. They might well suffer fewer injuries themselves (seems obvious to me that they would because of less leverage on knees and ankles), but perhaps more of a danger to other people? In the last three or four years I have seen many more people on short skis who are on terrain way too steep for their ability, despite the fact that they are in the minority on the slopes. I accept that may well be untypical experience, but in the 150+ days I've skied in the last four years that is what I've seen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex wrote:
graeme wrote:

why would you claim that they are different sports?

lol because i can
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Okeydoke. If dozens of miniski manufacturers make the statement over and again for years, it must be true.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I agree with you about the skill profile demonstrated. I know there are some brilliant skiboarders out there who are a joy to watch. But there are a lot of teenagers who use them as a short cut, and I have seen a few spiral tibial fractures in friends children resulting from the older bindings, and some very out-of-control behaviour in people who could really do with a lesson. Lots of skiers and boarders who suck too.

graeme, I am sure you are a great ski-boarder, I am sure that the better bindings are improving safety and I suspect that because most bladers/ski-boarders are young men (knee ligament injuries are more common as you get older, and if you are female) and stick to pistes away from trees that the injury-per-day rate is not that high. I do wonder if Lizzard threw a fish in and you bit! Any risk of ski-boarding becoming an Olympic sport?

To get back on topic - Stemondo - surely demo and hire first - and take some lessons and see if you do want to head back to skis?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've decided to write the definitive "Are Snowblades for You?" quiz. I'd like to think it's neutral and will happily explain why if anyone feels it slights their choice of ski.

1. Do you plan on hitting any kickers during your skiing, or going off-piste for powder during days where fresh snow is available?

2. Are you wanting to make friends, with the seasonaire community, or with basically anyone on the slopes?

3. When you turn, do you carve your skis or slide them around? No shame in either, but it makes a different to which suits you.

4. Do you spend >1 week on snow a year?

5. Jester hat or Helmet?
snow report
DaveC, your quiz says I need Scott P4s Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
comprex, excellent proof of the effectiveness it!
snow conditions
DaveC, Computer say no...
latest report
Well i started something here daint I. So im guessing if I do get some don't go for the skiblades go for the proper skiboards like the ones on skiboardsonline.com but before i do buy I will rent some to see if i even like em. If anyone knows any U.K site selling skiboards let me know.
ski holidays
there will be a uk based revel8 stockist up and running this year, i will post a link later
ski holidays
try this:
http://www.exclaimskiboards.co.uk/
snow report
I've had a pair of these http://www.skiboards.com/skiboards/head/bigeasy.html for the the last 3 seasons and I've never had so much fun.
I've been knee deep in powder and down all groomed stuff in a variety of conditions on them. I tend to stick to steeper runs on them as they are slow on heavy snow and on flats. I find them a little harder on my thighs than my normal ski's.
Additionally, everyone who's tried them has gone and spent their hard earned on a pair.

If you're near the midlands anytime you're welcome to try them at the snowdome.
http://www.lockwoods.uk.com/ are doing them for £130 right now.
ski holidays
I used to use Snowblades. But I used snowblades to learn to ski. Why? Because a serious leg injury made it extremely painful for me to snowplough all day on long skis. I could do it on snowblades and anyway, I progressed quicker to parallel turns on blades than I would have done on long skis. I got lessons from a BASI trainer, and learned to ski properly on snowblades. He also taught me to carve on snowblades and extremely good it was too. When I felt I'd reached a reasonable standard, and the instructor said so, I gradually increased the length of the skis ( from 99 to 120, 137, 147 and now 155 i.e. a DIY ski evolutif) until I'm now using 155's (probably the right length for me). I could still do all the things I'd done before on blades, but now on longer skis. It was always my intention to learn to ski properly, not to mess about. For me, snowblades achieved that, and without them I'd not be skiing.

I agree, there are an awful lot of people out there on blades who are out of control, possibly because any inline skater can have a go and get about, but without learning the slope discipline that comes with ski/board school, although this appears to have eluded a proportion of skiers and boarders too. For a purpose blades are good. I'd say they are good if you want to learn to carve, although skis are pretty good for that too. They are also pretty good if you want to learn mogul technique, IMO. They are great fun and it is awesome to be able to carve and crank over and get your hand down on every turn. Now I've sold mine, and just have long skis, but I will always remember them with affection.
snow report
Stemondo, I have a pair of Line blades (can't remember exact model/length) and have been thinking about selling, if you're interested send PM and I'll dig out the details. They're hardly used and in top notch condition.
latest report
I bought some for last season used them once for about 30 mins they are the creation of the Devil Confused snowHead
snow conditions
what was this evidence, exactly? There are a number of reasons why a survey could give a false impression. Not that I'm saying they're more dangerous.
latest report
There is a lot of rubbish posted on the merits of various skis and ski versus blades.
I've been sking for 20 years+ and apart from the first few years have always skied on the best I could afford, Starting out in the not so bad old days of pre-carvers I learned the classic close stanse tecnique. I got my first salomon 99's about 10 years ago in Tignes during a two day white out when we couldn't get up the hill at all. It was love at first ski. Top tip keep in that close stanse and ski them like a mono ski - anyone remenber them ?
I love the way they carve and how I can lean back to control speed in the crud at the piste edge, and ski backwards and sidewards take bumps and just a**e around.
I'm on my second pair of 99's - lost one off a lift in Val d'Isere - and also a pair of Atomic 120's. The Atomics I thought would be more ski like, infact they're far too ski like and don't have the sheer exuberance of blades. I still have them and may give them a second try one day.
Fave ski of all time is still my Salomon Superforce 3S's 15 years old and still going strong. They can catch air off each turn if you press them!
Tried several carvers and still not really impressed but am thinking I should invest in a top pair of short slalom carvers next. Prob try before I buy though.
Sorry off the point and rambling.... Salomon 99's are GR8T! but you have to know how to use them.....

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 18-02-10 22:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Ancient Skier,

Quote:

lean back to control speed in the crud

Quote:

you have to know how to use them.....

So like a tool then??!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ancient Skier, Top trolling resurrecting a 2.5 year old thread to repost your first post of snowlerblade propaganda. I'm persuaded. Just off to buy some jeans rear entry boots and a jester hat.
snow conditions
snowbladers are failed skiiers...discuss wink wink
snow report
Stemondo, buy the pink ones faggot....

okbye
latest report
the_doc,

What is there to discuss?
snow report
don't do i............
snow report
clarky999...hmm, didnt think that one through did I Laughing Laughing
latest report
More of a conclusion than a conversation starter lol
ski holidays
rob@rar, im pretty sure i can change your mind on "snowbladers" being dangerous people Laughing i ski and skiboard using the same techniques at the same speeds using the same turns (slower on straights obviously) so there for i am not gay but ok despite what i use snowHead (or at least that is how i interprited and read your comment i may of missunderstood)

do not get salomon snowblades , i have heard some real crappy reviews! plus i think most of the people who give skiboards a bad name tend to be the salomon snowblade users (or so i have got that impression from reading material on snowheads and sites) they seem unstable and catch from what i have read ...again i state i have not used salomon snowblades and do not intend too EVER as why would i when i can get much more stable models! I only discovered these contraptions this year and have only used the kneissl big foot which i love but greame has told me to try the snowjams as obviously technology has moved on since big foot's!
also you will struggle to get release bindings aswell for under £150 but try here http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=salomon

not even opnline stores want to stock salomon blades as they are RUBBISHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and bnot even skiboards
latest report
harriet wrote:
rob@rar, im pretty sure i can change your mind on "snowbladers" being dangerous people Laughing

I see a far, far higher proportion of out-of-control people on blades/skiboards than I do other choices of downhill sliding equipment. I agree you could change my mind on bladers/skiboarders being dangerous people, but you would have to give an awful lot of people and awful lot of lessons before I'm persuaded Wink
ski holidays
surely if people actually could ski first before using them they wouldnt be dangerous , maybe i am biased because i could ski before i used them so i just did what i normally do just on them instead of ski's about a meter longer and cant think how the skiboards can actually be dangerous as i was always fully in control and i spose more so than on my 152's as they are slower , i think what happens is useless hopeless people get put on a pair of short skis/skiboards/snowblades for an afternoon they think its easy then get attached to them without learning the rest of what they need to learn rolling eyes
latest report
harriet wrote:
surely if people actually could ski first before using them they wouldnt be dangerous , maybe i am biased because i could ski before i used them so i just did what i normally do

From what I see you are in a small minority. Most people I see on very short skis are barely in control, employing the worst of all habits to change direction (I hesitate to use the phrase "make turns"). Very occasionally I see someone on blades/skiboards who skis well, but they really are the exception. I really don't have a problem with the kit - it's just another way of sliding down the mountain - but I do have great concerns about the majority of people I see on blades/skiboards.
snow report
rob@rar, you've seen one change direction? That's a first. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy