Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet or B&B in Val d'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone offer advice on skiing in Val d'Isere. There will be about 20 of us travelling at the end of February 2008 and we are trying to decide on accommodation. We usually ski in Austria and stay in pensions which has always worked out well. This year we have decided to try France and were thinking of hiring a chalet. We are a bit torn between paying a good bit for a nice chalet or doing it on the cheap and staying in a B&B. Personally I like the chalet idea but am a bit worried they will all be very far from the centre of town.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wl, I suggest you post this as a new thread as you'll probably get a better response. This thread is really meant for the alphabetical list of resort reports. you can ask a mod to move it for you
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've split this thread off from the Resorts Alphabetical Index.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wl,
February traditionally coincides with the dreaded French schools half-term, so accommodation will be at a premium.
As for location of accommodation, the maps here may help in your choice:-
http://www.valdisere.com/gb/village/plan/plan.php
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone. Maybe we should head back to Austria. Have spent all day doing very little work and a lot of accommadation hunting and it's not looking good!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wl, can thoroughly recommend http://www.cretes-blanches.com/val/eng/index.php
great location and friendly staff, pretty good value imho.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can second masmith; cracking location and good value.

& don't give up on the booking; try checking some more relaxed guides like http://snow-trains.com/snow-train-destinations - there's good boarding accomodation out there I promise!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow train freak, you dont happen to work for or own
Quote:

http://snow-trains.com/snow-train-destinations
so far all your posts have this link in Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wl, do you really have to go during the worst two weeks of the French school holidays (ie when Paris is on holiday). It will be a different world in mid March, much cheaper, and much more enjoyable, though the Espace Killy has such a fantastic lift system that you can usually get places, regardless of the crowds.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wl, as an Austriaphile (??) who has been to Val d'Isere 5 or 6 times I'd say stick with Austria. Altho' the skiing is far more extensive than most Austrian resorts I find the quality of the skiing is mainly down to the snow conditions which is mainly dependant on recent snowfalls so just as likely to be good in a small Austrian resort as in a gargantuan place with hundreds of lifts.

That together with outrageous beer prices, shed loads of Brits and general lack of atmosphere and decent apres always have me pining for Austria whenever I'm in Val ... I've only been there so much because friends & relatives who've done seasons always seem to end up there and it seems rude not to visit !!

If you must go to France I'd say the 3 valleys (Meribel or Mottaret preferably) is a better option .. skiing's just as good and it's a bit more laid back ... still shed loads of Brits and €8 beers though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That together with outrageous beer prices, shed loads of Brits and general lack of atmosphere and decent apres always have me pining for Austria whenever I'm in Val ... I've only been there so much because friends & relatives who've done seasons always seem to end up there and it seems rude not to visit !! If you must go to France I'd say the 3 valleys (Meribel or Mottaret preferably) is a better option .. skiing's just as good and it's a bit more laid back ... still shed loads of Brits and €8 beers though. Puzzled Not sure Meribel meets any of these criteria better.

The skiing is very good in val d'sere and probably more challenging than the 3 vallees. In terms of piste skiing its fantastic for good intermediates. I agree its an expensive place to eat and drink. I love skiing in the 3 Vallees. I wouldn't stay in Meribel though. I would stay either in Courchevel or in st martin de bellville. The latter is the most charactful.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for the replies. Might perserver with Val d'Isere for a while longer. Unfortunately we are kind of stuck to heading in mid Feb as a lot of people coming have nasty bosses who are very inflexible with their holiday time!! Beers at €8 a go could be a problem. You may see twenty angry Irish people in Val d'Isere next Feb!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy