Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wagrain - anyone been?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I've just booked my 2008 (March) trip, this time to Wagrain. Great! It looks like a lovely place, but I'm starting to notice that comprehensive ski bus schedules are hard to come by....I'd like to explore the area around Flachau/Zauchensee and maybe even Filzmoos, but can't tell for sure if this'll be possible without a car, but with a nervous second weeker in tow. Any ideas?

And can anyone recommend an area of Wagrain or nearby suitable for nervous skiers? I'm thinking wide, groomed blues?

I'd also be interested in any reflections on the area in general.

Many thanks!

Liam
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lrx28, I have been to this area a few times. You have chosen the right place.
This area has probably one of the the best lift systems in the world, excellent even compared to Austrian standards.
You can ski from Flachau to Wagrain/Sankt Johan and need to use a tow only once (and only on the way back!)

Plenty of nice blue runs and some easy red ones.
Exactly what a second weeker may need.

Wagrain and Flachau linked by free skibus, it won't be a problem, although they do not run frequently.
Zauchensee, probably the best resorts of all of them in terms of snow condition, is a little bit far from Wagrain, you need to change bus twice one way. But this resort is not really for beginners.

flangesax lives nearby if you want 'real' snow report from the area.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a lovely day there (Flachau) last January, popped over from Obertauern, and almost got to Wagrain but decided to turn back and visit a nice mountain hut. Really wide expansive tree lined piste's, a cruisers paradise.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lrx28, I think kerekip, has pretty much covered it! Wagrain was one of the first places open last season. Its got a lovely gentle blue right on the top to get newbies started and your ski legs back. The lift system goes on for miles. It basicly has 2 mountains with a road down the middle. One mountain links up with Flachau - and the other mountain goes all the way to St Johann.

How to get to Zauchensee - get the bus to Kleinarl (approx 10 mins)- go up and down the otherside which is then Flachau Winkl - get the shuttle bus to cross the road - then up the other mountain which takes you down into Zauchensee. The other half has done it and it works well.

How to get to Filzmoos - drive! To be honest you will have more than enough to do in Wagrain and the linking area. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spent two weeks there in April this year. I loved the resort - met lots of really helpful, friendly people. You'll have a great time snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the reassurances! Looking forward to it now... just 7 months to go..............
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm trying to think of somewhere to go for Christmas and from what's been written this sounds like a place worth considering.

Looking at the brochure's I've got I couldn't find Wagrain but I did find Waidring (near St. Johann and Fieberbrunn). Is this the same place (I've found inconsistent spellings for ski resorts in the past, and I know there's more than one St. Johann in Austria) Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll stand corrected, but I think it's a different St Johann.

This is the website for the Wagrain area
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks.
I've just done what I should've done initially and looked at google maps which confirms they're different places.
I'm still tempted to go there for Christmas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rich.ll, its a different place. Here is Wagrain website http://www.wagrain.at/ - which is in the ski region of http://www.skiamade.com/
Its a great place! Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lrx28, rich.ll, here is what you can expect in Flachau/Wagrain.
This is my picture gallery. I took these pictures in 2005 December.

And I am not a member of the local tourist office wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the photos and the web pages. It's definitely on the list of potential places to spend Christmas.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lrx28, lovely area to ski - though it's a long time since I have done that there. Oddly enough I was near there (Altenmarkt) on a day trip a couple of weeks ago - it's a lovely area in the summer, too! Should meet your requirements, anyway.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks like I might be going (to Wagrain or Flachau) the week before Christmas. Are the snow conditions there usually ok then (the pictures pointed to by kerekip suggest it is) Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rich.ll, I took these pictures in the first week of December in 2005. First, I wanted to go to Tyrol, but I changed my mind after checking the Austrian snow reports. It is usual that this area offers better condition than other parts of Austria in December. Many small resorts (not fully linked) are here and they have the best snow-making capacity in the country. Flachau, Wagrain and even the Schladming area now have reached the 100% artificial coverage, so they can snow the whole area in 4-5 days if the temps are good.

I was fortunate with the weather in 2003 Dec and 2005 Dec, this trend should continue in 2007 Dec. Just book the flight, and you do not have to hurry with the accomodation. In December plenty of good rooms can be booked in the very last minute anywhere in this area. I always booked a room just a day before my departure.
ski holidays
kerekip, thanks for that. I hope to book flights this weekend. I hadn't considered this area until I read this thread and now I can't wait to go there.
ski holidays
Thanks again everyone! Have I started a trend? Let us know how you get on Rich.II
snow conditions
rich.ll, I live in Austria and can see the Flachau pistes from my window - you will have no probs skiing a week before xmas. Flachau and Wagrain opened the first week of Dec last year.

There is always Zauchensee just down the road which is on the same pass and its a bit higher too. It should be nice and quiet which is always a bonus.

If you need links for taxi transfers let me know - you can get a return for under 40 Euro per person.
Very Happy
snow conditions
Very good info in this thread, guys. Could anyone please help - I may be off to the Amade region in January. Does anyone know anything abut the best area to go to for advanced and off-piste?
I'm thinking of the Zauchensee area, but I really don't know ANYTHING at all about the area.
Any information would be greatly appreciated. (Especially about off-piste).
TA!
Dave
latest report
There is a beautiful long unpisted red from the top of Fageralm to the bottom, through the trees - havent done it yet but looks very promising. Ski Amade area is so huge you will find ample stuff. Also, its often worth hiring an instructor for a guide for a couple of hours as they can clear it with the farmers to ski down their land - otherwise not allowed. Very Happy
snow report
That sounds great. Any idea about the "off-piste" alongside the groomed slopes?
Dave
snow report
There was a similar conversation in another forum topic earlier this week on off-piste around ski amade

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=689645 and then scroll down some.

Maybe we could start an "Off Piste in Ski Amade" topic in Resorts?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy