Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What size and type of board ?

Poster: A snowHead
As we were skiing on rocks and stones at NY, both my sons managed to trash their boards and I am thinking that now would be a good time to buy them new ones. They will be getting them as presents, so I don't want to ask them too many questions. So - what type and size of board am I looking for ? I am guessing an All Mountain Board as they both like do a bit of off piste but nothing serious and they like to have a play in the park occasionally, but predominently they need a board that is mainly for piste and I would say they are good intermediate boarders.

They are: 6' 1" & 6' 2" about 12st and have about size 11 feet - so do they need a wider board ?

Thanks - any advice is really appreciated Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They're quite likely to have definite opinions on this - I should try to ask them without being too obvious if I were you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard, To be honest I don't think they have, they are more likely to go for the design on the board. rolling eyes I am more likely with advice I'd get on here to get what they really require - we have always bought them their boards and they have been happy thus far. They only board 1 week a year, so it has to be a bargain Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IncogSkiSno,

you could get them this http://www.fingerboards.com/minsnowbliss.html with an IOU for the real thing, then they can tell you what they would really like Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, Laughing

Their birthdays are later in the year, and I thought it would be a good idea to snap up a bargain now before the new season's stock comes in Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, so you're goign to hide 2 snowboards till then. good luck with that Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, Ah, my mum can keep them for me Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I remember when I purchased my first snowboard, I found a website where you could input your height, weight size etc, and it'd tell you what size of board you would need...It may have been on 'The snowboard asylem website' but i can't remember, it maybe worth a search.

Lizzard, has a point, they maybe eyeing something up themselves....I'd just ask them!....then again, most shops would probably exchange the boards if they weren't happy with them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
joydivision, No, they won't have even thought about snowboarding, too busy with their bodyboarding at the mo. They won't think about it until 2 days before the next trip and then they will remember that their boards are trashed. rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, I ride a Solution from Rome (the manufacturer) which is 163cm. I'm about the same height and weight as your progeny and this is the best board I've ridden to date. You should be able to pick up one dead cheap at this time of year. The other company that is getting rave reviews this year is Icon who are offering high specs at a more than reasonable price.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saxabar, Thank you - at last !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Is Freestyle for the park and Freeride the mountain ? And what about board width, I thought bigger feet had to have a wider board or am I wrong on this ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, basically yeah, freestyle is doing spinny things and freeride is normal evryday riding. It sounds like you're looking for a freeride board that can be also used in the park. The width is a bit of a wooly issue, generally the concensus is that you dont want any overhang of toes/heels as tey can catch and make you splat, however, some people don't mind and ride fine with an overhang. Im not sure if size 11 feet would require a wide board, I have pretty big feet: size 12 street shoes but wear size 10 board boots and don't have a wide board, I could try sticking one of my shoes in the binding tonight and see if it overhangs although stance angle will have an effect on this and mine is pretty forward which means I can get away with longer feet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swirly, same here, I'm size 11 and never had any problems.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, what did they have before?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swirly, Cheers - my eldest lad has a Simms board, I am not sure what type, I got that in a sale a few years back and that is wide. My youngest son has a Rossignol board, which he probably outgrew several years ago, and that was regular width, we bought it in Austria, and again I have no idea what type of board it is, but he's never complained. I dare say that whatever board we end up getting, they will find odd to start with, but will soon learn to enjoy Very Happy
snow report
I think you'll probably be ok with any intermediate type board, unfortunately I can't think of any off the top of my head as although I'm looking for a new board I'm looking for something that won't go near a park. Length wise weight is probably more important than height; they seem to be the ideal weight and anything fom about 157-163 should be fine, as with width shorter would be more freestyle and longer more freeride. I'm not sure how much use this has been but hopefully you'll find something that fits, unfortunately there's no chance to demo unless you could get them to a snowdome and maybe try a few out there, not sure how you could disguise it though!
snow conditions
Are flow recommended by any sHs ? I have found these:

http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Flow-MAINFRAME-WIDE-Snowboard(3277).aspx £229

and this :

http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Flow-MainFrame-Snowboard(1813).aspx £149 which is very good if it is a good board

which has the same model name as above, but not as nice design, but loads cheaper
snow report
IncogSkiSno, For goodness sake It's about time they were men! Buy em ski's Laughing wink
snow conditions
boredsurfin, Laughing What, like what you is ? rolling eyes
ski holidays
boredsurfin,

Wash your mouth out. Confused
ski holidays
boredsurfin, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. And get OFF that sodding apostrophe button! 'Skis' is a plural - it doesn't need some irrelevant bit of fly-speck in the middle of it.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, not sure about those boards, however, I looked last night and something like the ride fleetwood might suit thier needs, also the Apo line. The fleetwood is designed as a wide board while the line comes in extra wide varieties and has really cool graphics if that's what they want.
latest report
Swirly, Thanks ! Very Happy There are so many brands and it is so difficult - I had been recommended Ride, so I may look at those, and I had seen the Apo whilst looking, but had never heard of them before. Confused
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, try www.truesnowboards.com/ - a british manufacturer who have been getting some good feedback - quite cheap too if it's only going to be 1 trip per year.
snow conditions
I been looking at the Rome Flag board in 163 - I think my boys need a slightly wider board and it must be All Mountain but with some park capability. Would this board be suitable ?

http://www.romesnowboards.com/product/boards/flag/
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, would be fine, it's basically a wider version of the anthem which is a good all round board, possibly more pipe orientated than park but should work well anywhere.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, Before I converted to the two plank option, I bought myself a Ride 'Decade' in 161. This is classed as a free-ride board, so focussed more on piste and off-piste riding than park riding- but really any board will work in the park to a certain extent. I only rode it about 8 times but I thought it was an awesome board, really responisve, held an edge really well- I'd highly recommend it. I rode this with UK10 boots and it was fine, there is also a 'wide' version called the 'Yukon'.

Dont suppose anyone fancies buying themselves said Ride Decade 161? It seems to have become a bit redundant since I moved to the zoo........
snow report
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, keep it you'll see the light one day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, Burn it, you have now moved to the lighter side, 2 feet, 2 planks, makes perfect sense! snowHead

Swirly, wink Toofy Grin
snow report
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, also you can have comfier boots wink rolling eyes Shocked
snow report
Swirly, That depends on who's fitting them Toofy Grin
latest report
I am still looking and have a couple of boards in mind:

Burton Royale in 166 for my 6' 2" eyes of blue No1 son ?

or

Flow Solitude, but I am thinking maybe this is too Powder, Back Country specific - comments please Very Happy
snow conditions
The flow solitude is of course Back Country specific but will take a flow binding but your blue eyed not quite 2m no1 son will have his centre of gravity further forward than most so I would think again wink Toofy Grin
latest report
I would think you want something which describes itself as all-mountain freeride. Have a look here: http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/
snow conditions
Lizzard, Thanks yes I have recently been on that site and it is good, some of the manufacturer's own sites have silly non user friendly websites and often don't give much info.
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, showing your age there - it's all about the sick graphics, man. Apparently.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
IncogSkiSno, I have a Flow Infinite which is a free ride all-mountain, works good in powder, is quite stiff, and is quite wide for big feet, it takes a bit of riding at first but that is good for bettering your technique because it is knackering to chuck it around all day rather than carve it
latest report
Lizzard, Laughing He's got more chance of getting the right board if I buy it, than if he goes and gets one rolling eyes

rayscoops, No1 son's boots are 11.5 (uk) Burton Moto, so I am not sure that the Infinite board would be quite wide enough - though I am not wanting to go as wide as his previous board which is 164.5 Sims 27.5 waist Shocked - it must have been like driving a tank !
latest report
IncogSkiSno, maybe a bit too narrow then, unless he quacks loudly:D
snow report
rayscoops, Laughing No he doesn't quack - he's goofy Toofy Grin I think it is a choice between :

Burton Royale - 166 or 162

Rome Flag - 163

Unless anyone else can recommend an available bargain needs to be Int/Adv All Mountain Very Happy He may end up doing a season this year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy