Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Next years trip is going to have to be 2 short midweek breaks or seperate long weekend DIY trips so im considering the flight into Geneva then a hire car option.

Which resorts are the ones to consider when planning such a trip?

Is it easy to find accomadation for short stays?

Thanks

Ren
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, How far do you want to drive?
This list from j2 ski may assist you!
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've found that it's more difficult to find accommodation for short stays, although in low season you have more options. I do several long weekends during the season and the drive to Trois Vallees or Tarentaise resorts (about 2.5 - 3 hours) is fairly easy as there is no Saturday transfer traffic to cope with.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry wrote:
Next years trip is going to have to be 2 short midweek breaks or seperate long weekend DIY trips so im considering the flight into Geneva then a hire car option.

Thanks

Ren

Did a DIY for the first time last year out of Geneva down to La Plagne/Les Arcs. Surprisingly easy. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive. The accomadation was the bit of a pain as not many will sell you short break rooms until they know they have not sold them for the whole week. Personal advice would be to book the flights and worry about resort etc.. nearer the time. We are going with a TO in January wiht the kids but have booked flights in March for a short break. Will think of resort etc.. for that from February onwards.

The growth in DIY holidays I see as huge. In January this year we got 2 returns for £80 each to travel in March. Quite happy with that price. We checked this month and flights were available for next March and at £80 each I saw the price more likely to go up than down so booked. Same flights now over £100 each. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i did the same thing over easter last year with a cheapie easyjet flight inot geneva then car rental

we went to chamonix which was a piece of cake from geneva - just over an hourand motorway all the way - there seemed to be a fair bit of accomodation to choose from with a bit of diligent web surfing

you can also use cham as a base to cross over to courmayeur for the day through the MB tunnel

I think Morzine is even closer
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nick0861 wrote:
i did the same thing over easter last year with a cheapie easyjet flight inot geneva then car rental

we went to chamonix which was a piece of cake from geneva - just over an hourand motorway all the way - there seemed to be a fair bit of accomodation to choose from with a bit of diligent web surfing

you can also use cham as a base to cross over to courmayeur for the day through the MB tunnel

I think Morzine is even closer

also very cheap flights available at moment to venice from bristol in february

got two flights for £140 (£360 of which is ski and boot carriage)

cortina/kronplatz here i come
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rent a car- stay down in the valley if necessary and you can have your pick of resorts. Hotels and B&Bs more flexible than chalet owners. Appartments some places e.g. Cham Sud (though not a glamour option - too close to SZk's emporium wink )are well used to short breaks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

sounds good, this potential connection is often overlooked. we drove to near Cortina, from Venice, some years ago. Very easy drive. There wasn't much snow but the scenery is incredible and it wasn't primarily a ski trip as we were with non skiing friends. Had a big struggle to find accommodation though, doing it all at the fairly last minute. It was mid March, I think, but evidently a busy time locally and having tried the cheaper hotels in Cortina first, then the more expensive ones, and found them all full, we got details of a small hotel to the south of Cortina, a very Italian family place without a word of English. I had 35 words of Italian, and we coped. I got the address from the ski school in Cortina. The hotel had never had English guests before. If we didn't have an apartment in France I'd definitely head back to that area. Good to have a car, there are lots of places to visit round the circuit.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

sounds good, this potential connection is often overlooked. we drove to near Cortina, from Venice, some years ago. Very easy drive. There wasn't much snow but the scenery is incredible and it wasn't primarily a ski trip as we were with non skiing friends. Had a big struggle to find accommodation though, doing it all at the fairly last minute. It was mid March, I think, but evidently a busy time locally and having tried the cheaper hotels in Cortina first, then the more expensive ones, and found them all full, we got details of a small hotel to the south of Cortina, a very Italian family place without a word of English. I had 35 words of Italian, and we coped. I got the address from the ski school in Cortina. The hotel had never had English guests before. If we didn't have an apartment in France I'd definitely head back to that area. Good to have a car, there are lots of places to visit round the circuit.

We are lucky in that we have friends who live in padova

We are staying the first night there before driving up to cortina and having a day skiing there and then driving further up to ski in kronplatz. We searched for accommodation through the local tourism website and haven’t had too much difficulty finding somewhere to stay – even though its only for three nights – we have got an apartment for six for three nights for 228 euros!!

any recommendations on the best part of cortina to ski as we are only there for the day
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Renry - you're spoilt for choice from Geneva.

Within an hour to an hour and a half you've got: Chamonix, St Gervais, Megeve, Flaine (and associated satellite resorts), Morzine, Les Gets, Avoriaz, Chatel, La Clusaz, Verbier (and the rest of that area).

For Morzine / Les Gets you can try - our own Snow and Trek in Morzine; Ski Blue Ridge in Les Gets; Ski Morzine in, errr, Morzine; Morzine Lets (although I've always found them expensive).

Snow Coach do short breaks in St Gervais (a distance from the slopes, but we enjoyed it).

DavidMurdoch's got apartments in Chamonix that may be available on short let.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You 've also got les contanimes in france and villars in switzerland. My friend did a work long w/end trip to villars. very pretty but not very challenging was his verdict
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry wrote:

Thanks

Ren

Dear Renry - Link to Short Stay breaks offered by Mountainsun Ltd throughout the season in Tignes if you're looking to travel from Geneva.

http://www.mountainsunltd.com/tignes_files/shortstay.htm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry, we're just signing up to let our place on Mon-Fri basis out of peak season which means we'll be able to use it at weekends. Until the agent suggested it, I had no idea it was even possible so it may well be worth contacting local tourist offices for mid-week stays. Of course we have yet to find out how successful our mid-week lets will be Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All very helpfull, keep the suggestions comming. Looking at first trip first week in Feb 08
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Renry,
There have been very few mentions of Swiss resorts and although some of the Valasian resorts take a little longer to get to than the Haute Savoie ones they are well worth visiting. The hotels are often much better at doing non standard weeks as well. Fantastic skiing usually on less crowded slopes than the busier French places.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Renry,
There have been very few mentions of Swiss resorts and although some of the Valasian resorts take a little longer to get to than the Haute Savoie ones they are well worth visiting. The hotels are often much better at doing non standard weeks as well. Fantastic skiing usually on less crowded slopes than the busier French places.

And you just let the secret out?!
snow conditions
nick0861, sorry, I only spent half a day on the slopes in Cortina, so know next to nothing about it. I was there with non skiing friends, we took a (crowded) gondola up, they stayed in the restaurant and had a long lazy Italian lunch and I went skiing. The slopes were empty - they were all at lunch, I suppose!

The apres ski hour or so is fun in Cortina - lots of coffee and cakes and the "passegiata" where everyone swans around, very well dressed, window shopping in the incredibly chic and expensive shops. I suppose some of them buy stuff, but they were the kind of shops I don't dare even to enter. If you have to ask the price you can't afford it, you know the sort of thing. Free entertainment, though. I never saw so many mink coats in my life, it looked like the mink coat owners association on their mid season bash.
latest report
cool!

it sounds really interesting - cannot wait for february now!
snow report
Renry,

We've found Interhome cheap enough to book for a week but only stay for 3-4 days (as long as you do it within a week, Saturday to Saturday). A week in La Clusaz last year - piste side apartment for up to 6 - was around £190 in Feb/Mar. At that price it doesn't matter if you don't use all the nights.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy