Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux-Alpes-What's the attraction

Poster: A snowHead
Frosty the Snowman, How can I disagree with what you've written ? One can replace 'Les Deux Alpes' with any other and I would agree with your sentiment ... say what you mean , but say it 'respectfully' ... using the name 'curryfrog' (in this thread ) doesn't quite fit imho ...

My opinion is that there is a 'wind-up' theme here ... if regular posters need to hide between pseudonyms to voice their 'genuine' opinions then they are worthless wimps ... I apply that logic to any 'puppet' , 'troll' or 'other' .... their presence devalues this site imho wink Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman,
I think individual opinions are a great idea and welcome a diverisity of opinion especially if there is a reasoned critique rather than a rant I learn more about places even those I have visited. In this case I suspect that Agenterre, and Arno, are right looking at the user name and first post I suspect it is either pure trolling or sock puppetry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah yes I remember the curry house discussion now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Little Ms Observant Pedant, here, didn't even NOTICE the name! Duh! Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wouldn't it be a disaster if we all liked the same resort!!?

I trust all who enjoy LDA will be going back there, and the people who had a raw time of it will go elsewhere...

...and no, I wouldn't recommend bringing your skis to Skye...unless yu like skiing heather. (Not the girl...the green stuff.)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haven't posted for ages so just joining this debate.

LDA - Plenty of Nightlife for singles, groups and families.
Good range of eating places for all budgets
Good range of slopes including slopes up on the glaciers that beginners can access and ski which makes it good for ski at easter
Accomodation to suit all budgets
Pass covers day in ADH

Been on holiday with boys there last easter and happy to take mixed singles/family coach trip there next easter.

Not the prettiest and not THE BEST skiing but excellent all round resort and beats VT for early season/easter holiday and its not too high/cold for hol anytime of year.

My fav resort Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
garethjomo, what about Tenby though Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

My opinion is that there is a 'wind-up' theme here ... if regular posters need to hide between pseudonyms to voice their 'genuine' opinions then they are worthless wimps ... I apply that logic to any 'puppet' , 'troll' or 'other' .... their presence devalues this site imho

None of the above, i'm afraid. The reason i appeared to have started this is every other thread appears to have L2A named or involved in the forum, hence the question "whats the attraction?"

I am a genuine newbie!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
letitsnow,
I don't think that particular remark was aimed at the thread so much as the new entrant. Plenty of other things to discuss on snowheads so I hope you enjoy them. Personally I am a fan of L2A but no resort suits everyone and reasoned debate onthe merits of resorts is always welcome. Abuse may evoke a hostile response. Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
letitsnow, yes, I'm sure T Bar is right, that remark was referring to Curryfrog, not to you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
letitsnow, I wrote it, and I assure you it wasn't aimed at you. Sorry, it could have been interpreted that way. There are very few 'active' L2a threads ( well not until you created another one wink . Mind you understanding some current threads would be impossible for a newbie eg Ziggie Fraud etc. It's just the 'silly season'.

In season you will find a number of 'resort' threads which are regularly updated by 'local' folks. Morzine and Tignes come to mind from last season --- Morzine is obviously green now and out 'Tignes' reporter is back in the UK .... now if only we had someone in every resort .......
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does this mean La Rosiere is off the hook? Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre, there is an particularly interesting and active thread in Apres concerning the merits of slate roof tiles if you are bored Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Well Les Deux Alpes has had a good slating here Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed coat please
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, rayscoops, Twisted Evil I'd rather spend a week in Mumbles Shocked

Frosty the Snowman, Coat ? Why raining again in La Ros ? Twisted Evil
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, exit stage left please, taxi waiting Shocked
snow report
Agenterre, with the way the traffic is you probably would not have much choice Very Happy
snow report
letitsnow wrote:
I am a genuine newbie!!!!

Aha - I think due to my fantastic powers of investigation and deduction Toofy Grin , curryfrog is also a genuine newbie.

PS - if you don't want your real name to be known, don't ask the same question on 2 different skiing forums, one of which requires use of real name wink
latest report
cathy, Any chance of links?

snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Bish, restricted access to the other forum I'm afraid Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I get the picture!

wink
ski holidays
For about one second I contemplated trawling said other forum in order to work out Curryfrog's identity. And then firmly told myself to get a life. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Well - now everyone hates it here and no-one will come next year, I won't bother with the snow reports - after all, it seems as though there are too many LDA threads here. If the other forum is the SCGB I shan't give any more discounts to their members either , so there. NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
easiski, hey, hang on! I don't hate it. I love it. Never been there. But I still love it! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Well - now everyone hates it here and no-one will come next year

easiski, I bet you a tenner that neither is true Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:
Well - now everyone hates it here and no-one will come next year, I won't bother with the snow reports

Doucement, easiski, a quick chunter through this thread suggests the majority view is rather more pro LDA than anti. Little Angel
snow conditions
Quote:
I'd rather spend a week in Mumbles

I spent two years in Mumbles, but that was a long time ago and I think it's gone downhill since. Too many lager louts?
ski holidays
Hey hey, steady on! The other forum was the SCGB but the thread was nothing to do with LDA, it was a question about skiing off-piste in Austria! Just ease off a bit off the sensitivity maybe? Very Happy This is just people giving their opinions on LDA, good as well as not so good. Just people's opinions which is what we're all here for Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy If we all said every resort was perfect we'd be in a right pickle and probably end up in resort X Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, I think and hope easiski was joking, actually!
Thanks for the tip on where to find our newbie. wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, ah, perhaps you're right and I read it all too quickly after a few glasses of wine! Toofy Grin

I shouldn't really have drawn attention to the newbie's real identity and feel a bit guilty - but he has asked the same question so it's not too hard to draw conclusions!
snow report
cathy, Well - it was partly joking, but the criticisms of LDA haven't been reasoned opinions, but just a slagging off for no good reason. Especially the latest 'newbie' (if they really are, and not someone masquerading as one).

I have always tried to be reasonable, and anyone who's been around on Snowheads for a while will know that on occasion I've even recommended other resorts over here. I've also always said that perhaps LDA doesn't cater very well for the intermediate 'travelling' skier .... However I have faith that most Snowheads are real skiers, and not just holiday 'travelling' skiers. the idea that it's bad to ski the same run twice is ridiculous - those people shouldn't bother to go to any of the traditional Austrian or Swiss resorts should they??

however when Curryfrog, says "I've read this stuff and all I can say is that the only reasonable thing about LDA is the Apres ski, (especially the "rummerie"). The skiing is very limited and got boring after about 4 days. Not a patch on La Plagne -(which is fine as I don't go for the bars - I go to ski). When the thread was already dead ... This is ludicrous, If I can ski a resort for 15 years and not be bored then this type of comment is plain stupid and exposing a serious lack of both experience and skiing ability. After all - I'm only a Grade 1, I've only been skiing for 52 years ....

Limited??? Where???? The only limitations here are the skiers' own abiltiy.

Boring???? How????? We have runs in gullys, we have wide open runs, we have undulating runs, we have runs through the trees, we have steep runs pisted and unpisted. We have massive off piste descents eg: Chalance, St Christophe (3 main routes), Les Travers, Cuculet and others. We have La Grave next door .. The Face is about 2kms end to end, with open bits, pistes, trees, gullys, rocks - how much do you want ..??

There is a big difference between saying 'I found the skiing limited' and saying 'the skiing is limited'.

In my opinion Val T is boring because all the surrounding area looks the same, all the runs (on and off piste) are pretty much the same in character, just either steeper or flatter, but not truly different from each other. Since I can ski everywhere I want to, I like to be able to choose a run for it's character. In addition Val T does not have a resident population to speak of, consequently there is no 'homely' atmosphere, no bars where the locals go (I asked and was told 'no, because no-one lives here'). I like to actually try to mix with the locals wherever I go, and thus that part of the interest is not there. Now these are my personal opinions, prefaced by 'in my opinion' and giving actually reasons why I don't like whatever.

I have not just said 'Val T is sh*t and the skiing is boring'. I could have, and that's what Lettitsnow and Curryfrog have done. In addition both have appeared to be a personal attack as one was posted in my Chalets and Apartments thread, when surely any newbie can read the titles of the forums and the explanations below. This is the only forum that I really deal with, I don't believe in chat rooms in general, but even I could understand the titles and the explanations. The second person, stirred it all up again after it had been put to bed. This does look suspicious to me. There has been a comment to the effect that LDA is over-served on Snowheads - well excuse me for taking so much time and trouble to post snow reports (which are always accurate), to take, resample, download and upload photos. I had been under the mistaken impression that my contributions were positive and enjoyed. New peeps come along and make it sound as though I do all this for myself - and I really resent that implication.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
easiski, You simply cannot expect reasoned opinions from every person who pops up on an internet site. These are just two people (in a membership of thousands) whom you don't know from a bar of soap and are probably not even worth the time of day. Ignore them and concentrate on the rest of us, including - if you can bear to - the holiday 'travelling' skiers who are not, unfortunately, the real skiers you describe. Embarassed Embarassed We do appreciate you and all your reports. Smile
latest report
easiski wrote:
I had been under the mistaken impression that my contributions were positive and enjoyed. New peeps come along and make it sound as though I do all this for myself - and I really resent that implication.

Your impression wasn't mistaken. I think the vast majority of snowHeads would agree with it. The thing about the internet is that it's big, so you find out what politicians know: you can't please all the people all of the time.

You ARE appreciated !!

snowHead
snow report
easiski, Ignore them - I enjoy reading your posts, even though I have never been to LDA. My brother and his family enjoyed their week in LDA last season.

What makes snowheads special is yourself and others who post from resort keeping us all informed about what is happening out there.

snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

(if they really are, and not someone masquerading as one).

Oh come on. Why would anyone bother?
ski holidays
easiski, one of the reasons I'm coming to the PSB is because of the enthusiasm you display for LDA (and the hope to get a lesson with you}. It's great to be able to see pictures of the glacier and your honest opinion. There is guy who does the same for Tremblant, although he has a full website.

The sort of service you give is over and above what many would commit to and I personally appreciate it very much and enjoy the reports. [\] XX smiley [\]

edited in case Hurtle reads the post (spelling)Embarassed

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-08-07 11:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

(if they really are, and not someone masquerading as one).

Oh come on. Why would anyone bother?

but they do...all the time. beats me too Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

I could have, and that's what Lettitsnow and Curryfrog have done.

Don't think i said it it was sh*t or boring, just said that it didn't live upto the expectation i had anticipated.

I also, if i remember, praised the resort and have covered many, many positives that you have portrayed as negatives!

Neither is it the worst or best resort(for skiing) i have been to and i covered the off piste optons available in the surrounding area. Remember- this is only my opinion and i hope that you respect that!

Reading through the whole thread again i feel that opinion is very split down the middle, however, the people who like it are very passionate about it.

I also have friends who are BASI trainers(Pete Silver and Ali Smith) who have skied 2 alpes but do not prioritise with returning.

I, however, will probably give it another go sometime in the future, if welcome.

I will apologise once again for postinf initially on the wrong thread.
snow report
letitsnow, Your apology is accepted. Very Happy
ski holidays
letitsnow,
Quote:

These are just two people (in a membership of thousands) whom you don't know from a bar of soap and are probably not even worth the time of day

Sorry. I retract that. Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy