Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux-Alpes-What's the attraction

Poster: A snowHead
letitsnow wrote:
........Must have left at the sametime as the "lager louts" that apprently do not go to deux alpes in droves as thy used to!!!

They were certainly in abundence when i was there-I chose the french bars to get away!!

Horses(heads) for courses i guess

Still the grudge, then.

Never seen any lager louts there - that said, I gather New Year can be grim, these days. Pity was there with a son about 20 years ago. Saw the English New Year in, and then the French one. Great fun.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any one for curry? Perhaps this is a SnowHead business oppo.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KeemaNaan, sounds like a good one. Any budding Tandoori chefs?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ChickenDhansak, StuffedParatha, I absolutely agree. However Ruby's indian was no good as her chef quit after about 3 weeks and she then did the cooking using bought in sauces from the UK. Not the same at all. Anyone know an indian restauranteur family who like skiing??? It would be a huge hit in winter - probably not in summer though.[

b]Lizzard[/b], Did Paddy buy it from Chris then? Chris and his wife were running a Thai there for a while, but then it became Shooters.

letitsnow, Why would you do anything else? (going to French bars I mean). Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled You seem to have found all the worst things at the worst time. I really haven't come across many lager louts (although I do find the young snowboarders a bit of a pain personally) and I've been here for 15 years. Of course I don't go out very much these days. However I feel quite safe walking home alone late at night. New Year is the exception, and I generally suggest peeps avoid it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

letitsnow, Why would you do anything else? (going to French bars I mean).

Rob gave me advice prior to going-sound advice indeed and as i said before the resort was good fun!
Quote:

Still the grudge, then.

Never seen any lager louts there - that said, I gather New Year can be grim, these days. Pity was there with a son about 20 years ago. Saw the English New Year in, and then the French one. Great fun.

No grudge-just what i experienced. Anglo- french fights outside the avalanche. Clearly only one persons opinion and experiences count, then? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
letitsnow, I would not be at all unhappy if the Avalanche was demolished, but then I don't like discos! It really doesn't happen very often. Achilles has been here a few times - not a totally regular visitor - over a number of years (ask Rob about Mark Rafter, he stayed there many moons ago). His opinion seems to be the same as mine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some Indian mates and I talked about it for years. I guess other commitments got in the way. Personally if I'm away from a curry for more than a week I get twitchy. Having to resort to home cooked varieties now - we do a rather mean Tarka Dhall. Next time we're in town this winter - we'll do extra and drop some off for you easiski, on an off thread aside - and let's face it this is getting a bit tired - can recommend a book from Kris Dhillon called "the curry secret" for anyone who wants to get the Take-away flavour rather that pukka indian home cooking. It's a really cheap little book ideal for stashing away for those with catering facilities. Anyback back to the LDA flame-fest - sigh.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just you make you LDA types feel better, there isn't a curry house in Verbier either wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's one in Albertville - reputed to be good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'd love someone to open an Indian! Our last one, disapperead a couple of years ago.

Is there not enough choice in this resort to experience the local culture and get away from the weekly constitutional meal?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
letitsnow, Despite your protestations to the contrary , and your vowed intent to participate , do you appreciate that to the casual observer you read like someone who is on a personal vendetta against one person? Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
letitsnow, yes. But if you live here, Indian food is a novelty.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre, I pick quotes at random and don't even look at who posted.

Sorry if it appears that way.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can we give letitsnow, as a newbie, a bit of a chance please? As you might know, we have had trolls targeting one of our most prominent and loved members. You happen to have stepped into the same territory and to some of us it sounds like an echo. I would like to welcome you and hope you can see why we are a bit touchy. We are a very friendly and positive forum. Nothing else on the web is like it. It is genuine and populated by real people who trust each other and help each other. I haven't read previous correspondance, so I know nothing about this (only just got online properly today). I just want to give this person a chance please!

snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Bish, So I'm not the only one who thought this name might be a second monnika then???

ChickenDhansak, But all these prepared sauces have onions and garlic in them (I only eat Korma, but I love a good one which is hard to find even in the UK - often it's really a mild curry - not the same thing at all). As you know I'm allergic to both these items + veggie ..... A real resto would do it properly! BTW I hate eating in Italy for the same reasons - whoever said that the best food was there. Shocked Shocked

Lizzard, Exactly!
snow report
Quote:

letitsnow, yes. But if you live here, Indian food is a novelty.

Point taken and fair enough.

I would add, however, that people who live there rely on tourism for their livelihoods and therefore would mildly suggest more "alpine" speciality restos would only help and increase the charm of the resort rather than indians, chinese, sushi bars etc?

There are alot of fast food bars and pizzerias in 2 alpes if my memory serves me well( as many resorts have).
latest report
easiski, Sorry remembered the veggie part - not the alergies!
Pretty much every Indian meal is based on the holy trinity of onion, garlic, chilli and ginger... ok not a trinity then but you know what I mean - Mrs Dhansak did a Veggie Indian course this year... must be tough.
ski holidays
letitsnow, I don't think you would have much problem getting a fondue or gratin dauphinoise in LDA in addition to the pizza, burgers etc.
latest report
ChickenDhansak, Absolutely fine as long as it's a good resto and I always ask if they put onions and garlic in their Korma. The really good ones are shocked at the suggestion, but be sure that I've read the small print on ALL the ready-made Korma sauces and never found one without. Korma is supposed to be a delicate delight, not an assault on the palette! Very Happy

letitsnow, We've got so many "traditional alpine" fare restos that it's a bit tedious TBH. Also very many pizzerias to satisfy the 70-odd% italian clientele of the summer. As everywhere, some good, some bad, some indifferent. I really like The Blue Salmon, but that's not traditional. Good cheese fondues all over the shop, tartiflettes ditto (if you like lardons and onions of course). Laughing Laughing

the problem is that so many restos change hands or chefs, and what was good last year may not be this year. Very difficult to advise. Nevertheless I'm sure a decent indian restaurant would compliment the good Thai resto as alternative eating.
latest report
easiski wrote:
.........I really like The Blue Salmon, but that's not traditional.........

Probably may favourite Alpine restaurant at the moment. A small team - relaxed but professional looking after the place. Pleasant atmosphere (if a little fussy on the decor) great food, yet good value for money. Not traditional? Well you should know, living there. I think of it as good traditional French cooking. Not so?

Is it open now?
snow conditions
letitsnow, I don't particularly like to join in the chorus in disagreeing with you. But you seem to miss the point that if someone is staying at one resort for more than just a weekend, because the snow is good, may not want to have typical "alpine specialty" for the ENTIRE week, or TWO! Shocked
ski holidays
abc, Laughing

tasty though it is, one can get a tad tired of pig 'n' cheese.
latest report
achilles, Yes
snow report
achilles, it isn't traditional 'alpine' though I don't think.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, depends what you mean by 'Alpine' - I suppose. If you mean 'in the Alps and serving traditional French food' (which is what I was thinking of) then I think it is. If you mean 'onions cheese and potatoes and stuff' (and I can see that is a reasonable meaning) then I concede its not.

easiski, goody. I'll try hard to renew my acquaintance very soon.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 9-08-07 18:49; edited 1 time in total
latest report
achilles, that's what I meant Alpine cooking, as opposed to cooking in the Alps.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, fair enough. There is a great place for tartiflette (yum!) on the other side of the road - but I can't remember its name.
snow report
I should hate LDA. As an (at best) mediocre womble skier as Easiski would put it who likes chocolate box, ski in ski out, ( Valentin doesn't count!) travel on easy slopes etc etc. On paper LDA doesn't tick very many boxes. Had it not been for a desire to be a slightly more competent womble, ( enter Easiski) I very much doubt that I'd have given LDA a second thought.

We returned last night from our 4th week there. ( 2 winter and 2 summer..........and there is a frightening rangae of things to do then - ADH was a ghost town by comparison though in fairness we only spent a day there.)

Obviously, I'm not coming from the same place as those of you who like to ski hard and I appreciate that that is where this thread started and while I don't thing LDA is necessarily all things to all men, it does have a shedload of redeeming features. It is one of those places as are others that get better and more interesting with familiarity.

For us what Deux Alpes has is quite untangible. It has personality. It has it in the people, the village ( as opposed to The Village!) and even from my humble perspective it has it in the mountains. You just need to look past some of the flashy neon and most obvious pistes.

............I agree that a few more restaurants serving a wider range of food other than mountain specialties, steak and pizza would be a bonus as would the occasional appearance of a vegetable on the plate!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annie, I will keep your gloves and hat safe until I see you again. Maybe we can find an Indian family who like vegetables to open a resto here?? Very Happy

Annie is not nearly as wombly as she makes out BTW.
latest report
I've read this stuff and all I can say is that the only reasonable thing about LDA is the Apres ski, (especially the "rummerie"). The skiing is very limited and got boring after about 4 days. Not a patch on La Plagne -(which is fine as I don't go for the bars - I go to ski).
ski holidays
Curryfrog, Welcome to snowHead I hope you enjoy your stay ...what other resorts would you recommend btw ?

Wouldn't it have made sense to have first posted elsewhere? Or is trying to upset people part of the 'New Order'?

...... I'm sure Chris will be along soon to mop your brow ..
latest report
Curryfrog,
Quote:

I've read this stuff

You have? You're a brave person, then! Welcome to snowHead s.
snow report
Agenterre, now, now, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, for a while wink
latest report
Curryfrog, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Agenterre, so we're meant to go tip-toeing round trying not to upset some people? Confused It's just a newbie posting his/her opinion - even easiski posts negatively about other resorts so I'm sure she can cope with some less favourable comments on LDA Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops, Embarassed Apologies Embarassed No wish to start fights ... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
cathy, Not - at - all ! No tip-toe-ing required ... I'm not one of the PC - up-their-own-back bottom crowd .. I'll leave that to others!

Of course she's big enough and strong enough !
latest report
Curryfrog, Welcome to Snowheads. We already have a "curry" snowhead from your neck of the woods snowHead
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Gosh ! You noticed ! Perhaps they could get together .. Shocked Are there any good slopes on Skye ?
snow report
Agenterre, Les Deux Alpes does seem to divde opinion. Some love it, but some do dislike it. I liked the town (at the PSB) and thought it would be a good area to go back to in the winter. We should feel free to give our opinions.
snow conditions
heh... trolltastic Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy