Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Future of snowboarding bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Flows, Cinch, now capstraps!

I think the future bindings will be strap/flow hybrids.

What is required????

A clip down highback is essential for quick release/start IMHO.

anyother suggestions????
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A flow highback into straps incorporating the capstrap ?

Sounds like the perfect binding... the capstraps seemingly releive the pressure points found with normal strap setups?

Pressure points with straps? I only get them with the front strap. Anyone had problems with the ankle strap?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surely the only way forward is BLING! i want a diamonte encrusted bindings!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Funnily enough I picked up the K2 and Burton catalogs and had a good look at their respective contributions to the evolution of bindings.

The K2 Cinch has been mentioned in the forum before. However, the Burton Fusion was new to me.

Like the Cinch it has normal straps. However they are attached to a baseplate that then clicks into the chassis of the binding.

Its an interesting innovation that avoids the Flow/Cinch hinging of the highback. However it obviously means you are wandering around with a plate on the bottom of your foot.

I inspected a pair of Cinches at Wycombe and they look fine, with replaceable bits and multiple hinging points so some redundancy in case of failure.(A friend had lots of Flows crack at the hinge point)

Does anyone know if the Fusion is being imported to the UK
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow and Rock have the Fusions in their catalogue - 259 quid.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How much? THe Cinches were 149......

I think my Clickers will do for another couple of seasons....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have also seen the Fusions on the web but have not seen them on sale anywhere. Call me a cynic, but I think that the Fusion are even more of a nonsense idea than the Cinch.

With the Fusions you have the flexibility of straps but the "convenience" of step-ins. Notice how no-one sells step-ins this year?? One of the main drawbacks is the problem of putting them on in powder or if the connections get iced up. You'll have those problems with the Fusion, unless you just use it like a strap binding.

As noted above, if you use the Fusion as a proper step-in, you'll be getting off the chairlift with a binding attached to your back foot and with a metal plate on the sole of your boot. Don't fancy that idea much - seems to me that you'd end up taking chunks out of the top sheet of your board in no time.

I can see very few times when you'd want to take your foot off the board but would be happy to have a binding still on your foot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Personally I'm not interested in quick entry/exit from bindings - it takes slightly longer to ratchet straps than to 'step-in' - so what! you lose a small amount of time riding.

My main requirement from a binding is comfort - I want to be able to minimise foot aches etc.

From what I have read on other forums many people who have tried the capstraps are impressed. There are even Flow users going back to straps cause of this.

I see one major advantage of the Flows (for me) would be once you have a setting on the ratchets that is good for you then it will always be set the same every time you put on your board.

Of course the manufacturers will continue to 'innovate' so they can empty our wallets - even if we have what we all need from bindings right now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
K2 are still cataloging the flat clicker - the rental agencies do like it, low maintenance and it appeals to beginners.

I'm still sold on it becuase I like the heel-toe line of connection and the harder stiffer boats, that suits my riding style, speed, carving and steeps.

But its the stiffer boot that really sells it for me. I'm not a freestyler so don't need the softee boat and flex of straps. I've got a stiff boot with a very comfortable liner.

I'm surprised we don't debate the subject of the inner boot more. Getting that man-machine interface right is more important to me than the next layer out - the bbinding.

I wonder how many binding comfort complaints could be solved by getting the right insole and the right lacing sorted out

cheers
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SussexSnow, good points. I am actually looking at new boots this year and the 2 main contenders are:

Salomon F24 (with its inner boot fused to the outer and with a lower profile along the base to improve feel and control of the board - or so they say)

Vans Fargo (just looks like a well designed boot - comes with the Boa wind up "lacing" which i am a little hesitant about as i need to see whether it means that you have to have uniform tension across the whole boot)

If i could find them, I'd also look at Flow boots, some of which are single skin.

I currently use Superfeet insoles.

All in all, the boot is definitely a (if not "the") key component of getting the right feel and control.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't like the idea of the fusion at all. As it happens a mate is currently looking at ditching his burton clickers and is looking at flows as he wants a quick entry/release binding.

I can see the bindings have advantages for certain types of riding. Freestyle riding probably favours a strap binding whereas freeriding is more suited to flows, stepins and the rest as a very general rule of thumb.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow and Rock have just opened in Romford. May check out the boots and see if the have the F24.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Philip Prior wrote:
Snow and Rock have just opened in Romford. May check out the boots and see if the have the F24.
I agree with Phil, I don't see the point of the Fusion at all, unless you have very big feet. It would appear to prevent you from taking the inner boot out, either to get it dry, or to tailor the fit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
John Scott, i think you may be confusing 2 types of fusion: the Fusion bindings from Burton (which seem like a cr@p idea to me) and the Salomon boots with the liner fuse to the outer. I see what you mean about being able to remove the inner but i guess you can work around that issue if the boots are good enough to justify it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, I was refering to the previously mentioned F24 (Fusion) boots. Can't see how you can 'work around' not being able to take the inner boot out. Sounds like a big step backwards (no pun intended).
ski holidays
John Scott wrote:
Sorry, I was refering to the previously mentioned F24 (Fusion) boots. Can't see how you can 'work around' not being able to take the inner boot out. Sounds like a big step backwards (no pun intended).

i was only referring to the drying aspect - if you cannot remove the liner you might need to get more heat in the boots to dry them overnight. But that can be sorted.

if you want to tailor the fit, I'd agree that you're bvggered, but how many people swap the liners of their boots?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy