Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Everything you didn't want to know about chairlifts!

Poster: A snowHead
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1734472502795274450

Enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterhighland, Didn't spot your thread & I've just posted the same link so I've deleted mine. There's some scary footage there when those weighted chairs come off.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never ever let anyone with a phobia see that!

The Rollback was truly terrifying!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting footage Shocked

The 'rollback' with the weighted chairs was a bit scary.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is someone going to pm Megamum? - I am sure she would love this! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
srobbo wrote:
Interesting footage Shocked

The 'rollback' with the weighted chairs was a bit scary.

And that was just for the guys observing. Having seen that think I might be inclined to take my chances throwing myself off the chair (if I could)rather than get rolled back round the bullwheel Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stoatsbrother, please don't - she'll never leave the house again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stoatsbrother wrote:
Is someone going to pm Megamum? - I am sure she would love this! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Don't forget hurtle as well Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, Have to agree with you, think I would be looking to jump asap if ever in that situation.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
megamum, where are you?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm. Nice tests. Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The Rollback was truly terrifying!!!

"Concrete blocks (= people!) flung 120 feet through the air" Shocked Shocked Shocked

Tree on the line also v. worrying.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
is anyone else slightly dissapointed that they didn't have crash test dummies on the lift?

I would have liked to have seen adam and jamie from mythbusters do the tests!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
daehwons, or take it a stage further.

"The good news is we are giving you free lift passes today... now - would you step this way?"
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well at least someone at sometime tested them. Have any of those occurences ever occurred - I guess a tree fall might have done, but what about the others?
snow report
You might not want to know the answer but you can always look at this link

http://www.memagazine.org/backissues/membersonly/february2000/features/grip/grip.html

or this

http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/chairlift/yan3.html

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-07-07 21:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Megamum, They happen very very frequently, especially in smaller resorts. Children are at particular risk. But the authorities hush it up or try to keep the resort anonymous. Now if we knew where you skied we might be able to reassure you! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, Laughing
snow report
stoatsbrother, Would you really want me to tell the Snowheads now? It'd make a mockery of my stand so far - I'm sure you expect better from me !!

Our friends tell us that the chair lift in our resort is one of the safest designs made. Also, I get some comfort from the fact that we ski in Switzerland where most of that sort of gear (if media hype is to believed anyway) is on its first installation. Don't they say that you've really got to watch places like Turkey where lift gear is on about its sixth installation!? Shocked
snow conditions
Megamum, Did you know Switzerland has some of the oldest lifts in everyday use. It's something to do with the land ownership. Apparently in CH many of the lifts are well over 40 years old. Hence it is on it's first installation, no one else wants lifts that old Sad
ski holidays
boredsurfin, There's definitely some information I could stand you keeping to yourself! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Megamum, Skiing is a dangerous sport Very Happy
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Yeah, but technically skiing is the bit on skis where you're travelling on the snow, often downhill, at the time. I wonder whether there is a higher mortality rate from the skiing or from the in-resort transport involved in getting there.
snow report
Quote:
Don't they say that you've really got to watch places like Turkey where lift gear is on about its sixth installation!?

An Austrian Ski Instructor once told me that Kaprun got the lift haul ropes second hand from France, he said not to worry they were alright because they then got sold on to Italy. Italy sold them on to Yugoslavia which eventually sold the haul ropes on to CairnGorm! Laughing
latest report
Quote:

I wonder whether there is a higher mortality rate from the skiing or from the in-resort transport involved in getting there.

The SKIING, you terminally silly woman!! And even that can usually be practised regularly over an entire lifetime without lethal results. For God's sake. rolling eyes
latest report
Lizzard,
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
boredsurfin, Yeah, but technically skiing is the bit on skis where you're travelling on the snow, often downhill, at the time. I wonder whether there is a higher mortality rate from the skiing or from the in-resort transport involved in getting there.

Both are so low that the transport involved in getting between home and airport and between airport and resort have a far higher mortality rate.

When they are that low, any compairsons between the two rates will be statistically meaningless.
latest report
Lizzard, I do luv it when you get all pink and fluffy on me!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Both are so low that the transport involved in getting between home and airport and between airport and resort have a far higher mortality rate.

good point. In fact, for most of us who lead exceptionally tame and protected kind of lives, cushioned from most of the things which kill most people (e.g. mosquitos with the wrong parasites in their guts) being out on the road is one of the most dangerous things we ever do. That and climbing ladders to do a bit of DIY...

scary road smash movies, anybody?
snow conditions
alex_heney, pam w, I don't doubt that you're right. In fact I doubt that skiing is any more dangerous than horse riding in that respect. I think the lift systems are probably hotter media pots. If one of them does that 'roll back' thing larger numbers of folks are likely to be affected in one go than single skiers (or horse riders) taking a tumble, a bit like when a plane goes down - folks say that flying is statisically safer than flying, but try telling that to the relatives on the next air disaster. Its events with large mortalities/casualties that hit the headlines not all the road crash victims despite the fact that over the year these add up to a higher accident rate.

I personally think that the chairlift video is actually more reassuring than anything. It shows that people do test these things from time to time and hopefully learn from the results, and also it does show just how tough these things are and how much needs to go wrong together for things to be catastrophic, if anything it makes me more inclined to feel they are safe than any other viewpoint.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
I personally think that the chairlift video is actually more reassuring than anything. It shows that people do test these things from time to time and hopefully learn from the results, and also it does show just how tough these things are and how much needs to go wrong together for things to be catastrophic, if anything it makes me more inclined to feel they are safe than any other viewpoint.

The therapy is working well then? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
When debating the utility of helmets in one of the many threads I calculated from the published statistics on ski area deaths and road deaths, that driving from London to the alps and back carries about the same risk of death as 10 days skiing.
latest report
Quote:

I doubt that skiing is any more dangerous than horse riding

I'd guess that horse riding is a good deal more dangerous than ski-ing, mile for mile, or even hour for hour.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I doubt that skiing is any more dangerous than horse riding

I'd guess that horse riding is a good deal more dangerous than ski-ing, mile for mile, or even hour for hour.

T Bar wrote:
When debating the utility of helmets in one of the many threads I calculated from the published statistics on ski area deaths and road deaths, that driving from London to the alps and back carries about the same risk of death as 10 days skiing.

Unfortunately, some people are afraid of heights, or whatever other. Then, the rational percentage of risk doesn't really matter.

I, for example, are terrified of spider web. Not so much the spider, just their perfectly harmless web. Embarassed Totally irrational, I'm the first to admit. Sad
latest report
abc, I suspect we're talking dippit attention-seeker rather than phobic, frankly.
latest report
anyone who was genuinely phobic about chairlifts would have to be daft, to put it mildly, to have looked at this thread, and even dafter to click the link. Or maybe they'd be masochistic, too? Some fears are phobic, but even in those cases, some information on the genuine level of risk can certainly do no harm. Unlike an ignorance of statistics and/or over susceptibility to media rubbish, which can create fear out of all proportion to the genuine risk - e.g. the fear of your child being abducted by a stranger, which is no greater now than it has been since records began. The fact that anyone could genuinely ask whether ski accidents or lift failures cause the greater number of fatalities proves the point...
ski holidays
I think we're talking pink fluffy lizzards again wink
latest report
rolling eyes
snow report
Just for the record I've never claimed to be phobic about chair lifts!! Evil or Very Mad

I just don't like the swing on them (or gondolas of any size) for that matter and from what I gather on this site I'm not alone. I also very wary of using a chair lift for the first time with skis on, but that wariness won't stop me from doing so. When I wondered about the mortality rate I was working on the assumption that probably not high for either skiing or lifts, in fact several threads have been posted about lift casualties on here and also several about skiing accidents - I must admit I had wondered if it as around 50:50 in terms of a ratio.

As for 'attention seeking' well if you read back to the early posts in this thread - I was practically invited to become part of this thread:

Quote:

Is someone going to pm Megamum? - I am sure she would love this!

Quote:

megamum, where are you?

Right, now I'm verging on getting cross wink

Lizzard I suggest that if you have a problem with me you refrain from responding to my posts. Me? well I'm happy to let bygones be bygones and in the past have not 'risen' overtly to the bait that you go around laying for me. I was even hoping that once we met you might realise that I'm probably worth knowing and that we might have been friends. As it is I think could maybe offer the benefit of experience in certain areas that you are clearly lacking in!! Common decency, tact and diplomacy all come to mind. What's with you woman? every one can use another friend why do you do your best to drive away someone that's never done you any harm. I can promise you I'll leave the past at the door if we do ever meet - I hope you are adult enough to do the same.

B.t.w. If I'm going to admit to a phobia its probably jumping from a height, but I'm quite happy to high off the ground providing no-one asks me to jump!!

I think Lizzard had better add me to her list of phobias rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Common decency, tact and diplomacy

Shit. Is this a pre-requisite for an internet forum? Shocked wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy