Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group bookings - Go independant or with someone like Inghams?

Poster: A snowHead
All

I have been designated the official organiser for skiing trip next March for about 10 people. I've never booked anything like this before and am a bit daunted by it all!

Any way, my question here is this:

I've spoken to both Inghams and Neilsen and they seem to offer pretty decent deals with nice chalets and they do pretty good "organiser discounts!)...

Does anyone with any experience of booking for groups have any recommendations as to whether i should book all the component parts individually (like a DIY trip) or let a tour operator do it all for me... is there much cost / quality difference.

Ta

Sarah
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magic_hat - I've never booked a group holiday for anything over 5 or 6, but I've been on a ski trip that had a group varying in size between 12 and 30.

From what I've seen of the burden of organising such trips, I'd go with an tour operator until you've had some experience of booking group holidays and understand what the group are like.

Tour operators seem to be good at managing the numerous and inevitable changes that groups go through in the period - "I want ski hire...I've just bought some skis in the sales"; "...me and Jane have split up and need separate rooms..."; etc

Also, if you book through a tour operator then everything that happens after checkin is the tour operator's problem. If you book yourself then you'll be the poor person worried about whether the transfer has turned up; marshalling everyone to get lift passes; organising ski school; etc, etc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat, I agree that there are strong arguments to go with a tour operator if this is your first stab at organising a group holiday. There'll be someone else for people to complain to! However, using the TO for accommodation doesn't necessarily mean you have to use them for everything. You don't have to book lessons and equipment hire through them, for example. The only time we booked equipment hire through a TO, many moons ago, it was fairly rubbish equipment - so much so that even I could tell! Depending on where you go, there may be better options for tuition, too, with a range of schools and the option of private lessons. Pretty well all easily done on-line, so rather than lumber yourself too much, you could leave individuals to sort out equipment and lessons.

Don't go to France in the first week of March - big school holiday week! The second week would be a much better bet.

I imagine your biggest headache will be getting them all to agree where to go - or do you have carte blanche?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
...using the TO for accommodation doesn't necessarily mean you have to use them for everything. You don't have to book lessons and equipment hire through them, for example. The only time we booked equipment hire through a TO, many moons ago, it was fairly rubbish equipment.

Good point.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Which week in March magic_hat?

I know of something somewhere inbetween a group and a tour-op that might fit the bill perfectly - w/c 8th March Wink
Feedback from last year suggests a very good Cost:Quality ratio too Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, subtle . . . real subtle . . . like a bag of prawns stuffed in a heating vent rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, nice one........when can we expect a button to press ? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it is your first trip organising holiday I would go with a TO. The only problem with this is that you will need numbers and names of people travelling in the initial booking, groups have a way of increasing when friends speak to each other.

Otherwise it is quite simple organising a DIY trip these days. A particular formula should follow. Think of the size of group you want to organise (do not go too large 10 or 12). Get a deposit from everyone significant but not OTT €150.

Choose a resort and then book hotel rooms (not individuals) on internet, Decide on flight and get all to arrange to get their own tickets it is in their own interest to book early some may get a €1 flight others may get one for €150 that is their lookout!!!

All resorts have taxis to whisk you up the mountain or indeed operators like ATS etc.

I have done it both ways and it is all quite simple but it does depend on your group of friends. If all are decent, no probs. If you have an ar$ehole or two then "phuq" them do not include them ever again.

Have fun doint it whichever way.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magic_hat, I organised ski trips for our lot for quite a few years, largely so I could decide where we went. If you want to enjoy the holiday more yourself go through a tour operator. And for ever less hassle, you can't beat a chalet deal. I've also organised independantly and it detracts from your own enjoyment, because whether you should or not, you end up feeling responsible and trying to deal with everything, even inter group friction. Book it through an TO. Inghams or Neilson would be fine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
magic_hat, if DIY try to delegate some parts of the organisation, like transfers etc. Treat it as a task in the Apprentice, pick a resort and times that suit you and project manage your team, do not do it all yourself:D
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whatever you do, make sure you get paid up front.

People will take liberties otherwise. Folk who can easily afford it are often the worst.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree totally with Latchigo, you may not need all payments up front but a decent non refundable amount is the ticket. Most will not mess you around but there may be some in every group. As it is a group of friends not a business a word in their ear even when others are around may not be a bad thing. "Pay up as the whole group is waiting on you and I cant book unless I get all deposits in"!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My top tip has already been mentioned by Latchigo and Roy Hockley. get more than the deposit up front. Its too easy to book for £50 and when you need the £450 balance some will drop out. Get £300 per person and the majority is then paid off in advance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magic_hat, chalet will be the easy thing of you DIY. Try www.chaletsdirect.co.uk .You can post your requirements in the Solutions Room.
Then you just needs the flights and transfers, which your chalet owner may be able to help with
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nearly all chalet owners should do the leg work side of things for you - seeming as we live there and know everyone you need to talk to, so like helen says its often easier then using tour operators..... as generally you will have a more personal tailor made approach
snow report
All...

Thanks to everyone who responded. Apologies for the delay in replying/responding/thanking you for comments, but i screwed up my wireless network at home and have had no internet for a while. I've been restricted to 5 minute bursts from work.

Anyway, I'm back online now and have spent most of the weekend (and back end of last week) trying to get everything sorted.

I read all the comments on here and decided first to have a crack at booking it all myself - as suggested above this lasted about as long as it took to realise that co-ordinating chalet change-over dates with flight dates and shopping round for transfers/mini bus hire was going to take absolutely ages. And that when you add up the price, you don't actually save that much cash but get a shed load more hassle. So, a tour operator it is (at least for this trip anyway - if i had more time i might perservere with the DIY option, but i haven't!).

I have taken quite a few of the hints and tips from above. Many Thanks to all who replied. Much appreciated.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy