Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1

Poster: A snowHead
I have been skiing for nearly 20 years now and feel like i need some kind of badge, so i'm thinking of taking the BASI Level 1 Ski Instructor course at Castleford in September.

Has anyone done this and do they have any advice or comments?

Is it worth doing it at Castleford? Not sure i can handle the same 150m over and over again for 5 days solid.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski Bat, I did my SSE ASSI there (basically the same thing?) & it was very good - & far better than on plastic.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Troll given recent past threads?

Why do it for the badge unless you intend to use it? Do it for the access to good coaching by all means.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These three statements make me wary that you may not be in the correct frame of mind to take such a course:

1. I have been skiing for nearly 20 years
2. feel like i need some kind of badge
3. Not sure i can handle the same 150m over and over again for 5 days

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski Bat, sounds reasonable - go for it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm, what's happening with the 'troll' witch hunt stuff?

Someone is popping in asking for advice where's the problem with that?

Anyway, I do agree with veeeight - look at your motivation for doing the course and make sure you're in the correct frame of mind.

If you view it as a valuable coaching opportunity perhaps leading to a sideline in ski instruction then cool, go for it Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga wrote:
Hmmm, what's happening with the 'troll' witch hunt stuff?

Smile

Trolling, like sock puppetry & spamming, is a feature of most internet forums. I just called the question given extensive recent threads about the whole instructor lark. Saying he/she just wanted to do it for the badge was a sure way of inflaming instructors. Now I think SkiBat is probably just being self -deprecating so I wanted to say there were other valid reasons for doing it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski Bat - just doing it for the badge sounds valid to me.

(Ducks...) NehNeh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe a troll, but Ski Bat, I will answer your question on the assumption it is serious. BASI 1 is the top level of BASI qualifications and certainly isn't done on 150m at Castleford. rolling eyes You need to be skiing at a very high level of technical perfection on and off piste plus other things. Perhaps you are confused by the odd way BASI numbers its qualifications, 3 being the first one and 1 being the top one. Have a look at www.basi.org.uk. The site is being revamped at the moment so you won't immediately get the info, but what you should really look at, if interested, is BASI 3 (Alpine Ski Instructor). That is a ten-day on-snow (ie mountain snow!) course & assessment. You will find details of BASI courses on the website. They don't come cheaply, by the way.

All the best if you are serious and follow up this ambition.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Uh-oh.

And I thought the new system was meant to clarify things.

Look Sybil, it's perfectly simple Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ccl, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I'm afraid you BASI terminology with regard to the Levels and designations of Qualification Awards, is out of date. BASI hasn't used the Grade 3 - 2 -1 system for 8 Years.
Ski Bat, is perfectly correct that BASI Level 1 is the base level qualification, which can be done on plastic or indoor snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight, Laughing

ccl, Things have changed recently at BASI re the instructor levels etc. The course Ski Bat is referring to has replaced the old ASSI.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, you beat me to it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
Trolling, like sock puppetry & spamming, is a feature of most internet forums.

I know and IMHO this is one of the least trolled forums I've seen but perhaps I've been missing all the 'fun'.

I'm presuming the mention of sock puppets is a reference to a certain individual on this forum?
Quote:
I just called the question given extensive recent threads about the whole instructor lark. Saying he/she just wanted to do it for the badge was a sure way of inflaming instructors. Now I think SkiBat is probably just being self -deprecating so I wanted to say there were other valid reasons for doing it.

Well it came across to me as a perfectly reasonable question although, as I said, I think the issue of motivation is an important one to consider before setting out on a course like this.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Troll given recent past threads?

I suspect that there are a large number of snowHeads (me included) who rarely or never venture into the Bend ze knees zone, and if they do would retreat from it rapidly. I'd assume that the question was genuine.
snow conditions
I'm not really up-to-date on the BASI structure: if the new "BASI Level 1" replaces "ASSI" (where the A stood for "artificial"), does that mean that this course can ONLY be done on artificial slopes? Maybe Ski Bat has no choice but to spend 5 days on 150m of slope?
snow report
Elizabeth B, that's sad as imho the more people who contribute their open-minded views to BZK, expert or novice, the better

Martin Bell, no, I'm pretty sure they are running it on real hills too, as it is also a replacement for Trainee Instructor
latest report
Martin Bell, slikedges, is right it replaces ASSI and Trainee Instructor course. The courses are in UK artificial and on real snow as the Trainee ones were before.
The main effect on the Trainee Course is it now has a pass/fail element, that it didn't have before and 35 ratified shadowing hours before the award is given.
snow conditions
PhillipStanton,

nowt to do with the thread but how is life back at work ?

missing morzine Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Thanks for all the advice.

To clarify... i am not really doing it just for the badge, as i would love to be able to teach sometime in the future and the only way to get the BASI level 2 (which does allow you to instruct "outdoors") is by doing level 1.

It's too late now as i have sent off my application today Shocked
latest report
Ski Bat, good luck and enjoy! snowHead
snow conditions
Ski Bat, Seconded snowHead
latest report
Cheers snowHead
latest report
Best of luck Ski Bat snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy