Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Mission vs Punisher

Poster: A snowHead
I spent last season falling in love with a pair of Scott Missions (178cm) mounted with Freeride Plus touring bindings - using either Denali XTs or Salomon Falcon 10s depending on how much backcountry I was planning to do. Couldn't find a scenario in which this kit didn't work superbly (I split the season between a 10 day trip to Whistler, and a lot of scratching around in Scotland). Cannot believe how easily the skis turn, but how fast they'll run on hardpack and still hold an edge, as well as how good they are off piste.

However I do muck about in the park a bit and am concerned about how long the Freerides will last. Am thinking of a second pair of skis with alpine bindings, as well as twin tips, but with the versatility of the Missions. Any thoughts about a 182cm pair of Punishers?

I'm 178cm and 75kg.

Thanks for the advice!

Mike
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AFAIK the Punisher is exactly the same ski as the Mission but for its twin tip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin wrote:
AFAIK the Punisher is exactly the same ski as the Mission but for its twin tip.

Correct
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pm SZK as I think he has the Punisher on his top ten hot skis for 07/08 list. Skied them at MK and they were fine in that length though I'm a fair bit heavier and taller than you. If you've got he skills then they's be a good match if you really want to chuck them around the park maybe you could go shorter (though I don't know if park skiing is reding the same "short skis suck" trend that some freeskiing seems to be wink )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are apparently the same ski as the Scott Mission, but with a twin tip. As such I'm not so sure how good they'd be in the park, as I think that the tails are quite stiff, and so would be unlikely to forgive a sketchy landing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hadn't realised they were the same skis! Probably not a lot of point in buying them in that case..... any ideas for a twin tip with similarly good allround properties that I can also use for occasional fun in the park? How about K2 Seth Pistols?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
motatapu, come to Breahead in the 15th August and try a few Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would love to but am working.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer wrote:
They are apparently the same ski as the Scott Mission, but with a twin tip. As such I'm not so sure how good they'd be in the park, as I think that the tails are quite stiff, and so would be unlikely to forgive a sketchy landing.

Same ski with a softer tail is how the tech at Cas described them to me, so that may be this issue solved.

As for twins that're good allround and also in the park, Public Enemy I guess? Seth has a slight reverse camber and probably does the same job as your Mission.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So, in terms of running length, are a pair of 182 Punishers the equivalent of a pair of 178 Missions?

I own 2 pairs of Scott P3s (in 178 and 184) and 1 pair of P4s (in 181), so I know that the running length in the Scott twins is rather short.

If this is still the case with the Punishers, this means the 182 Punishers are shorter than the longest Missions....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd assume so. Sounds about right.

Out of interest, do you have a Scott hookup or something? I'm shopping for some 191 P4s Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skibomb,

Most twins I have tried have skied short... so I would look at the 182 twin being the 178 but may ski even shorter....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, Agreed. After measuring loads of running surface lengths for my Balancer I'd say the average twin skis 8/9cm shorter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, That's what worries me - that the Punisher comes in a 182 as longest version, but that it actually skis shorter than a 178 Mission. This would mean that, even though I'm considering the Punisher, it might not be the ski for me because of being too short.

There seem to be reports it comes in a 192 as well - can anyone confirm this?

DaveC, I don't have a Scott hook-up I'm afraid... wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skibomb,

I haven't tried that ski (Punisher).... and I don't ski a twin for the park but Stockli Snakes in 180 and the Snake BC in 178 ski very short off piste for me. I'm 6ft.. so I don't use them there...
But in general skiing, I would say that twins can ski upto 10cms short..IME.
snow conditions
Ok, I have done a bit more digging on this, and it seems that the Punisher will also come in a 191 which might be just the ticket for me.
ski holidays
Weren't your 174 Snakes the same size in the lift queue as my 178 missions JT??
snow report
DaveC wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Same ski with a softer tail is how the tech at Cas described them to me, so that may be this issue solved.

I'm not sure that it would still be the same ski then? Stiffness is fairly critical to how a ski feels IMO.
snow report
kitenski,

I've tried two sets... 180 Snakes and 177 BC's...I think. both skied too short although I was happy enough on the day.

The Mantra in 184 is the best for me so far. Anything less than 180 (not twin ) isn't so good, I think. If I get back to Engleberg I'd try the BC in 188.
latest report
I got a chance to demo a pair of punishers in April in Whistler. Its a really awesome fun ski. It has a moderate flex and for an all-mountain ripper its ideal for whistler. Wide enough for the bowls on the powder days, but still shreds it on the groomers. 182 sounds like a good length for you too. If I was to ski some park on them I would definately mountthe bindings further forward than recommended though.
ski holidays
Jutta thinks they're awsome - I haven't tried them though, so no opinion. However in general, as already stated, park skis do ski short - I managed a pair of 176s at the 2nd EOSB quite happily! Shocked
ski holidays
There's a pair going on ebay if anyone's interested: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270146733044
snow conditions
skibomb wrote:
JT, That's what worries me - that the Punisher comes in a 182 as longest version, but that it actually skis shorter than a 178 Mission. This would mean that, even though I'm considering the Punisher, it might not be the ski for me because of being too short.

There seem to be reports it comes in a 192 as well - can anyone confirm this?

DaveC, I don't have a Scott hook-up I'm afraid... wink

These will be available in 192. And yes the flex is softer in the tail.

Watch out for these as they are a contender for Fall Line Ski of the Year 2008
ski holidays
lemon, do you have an inside line?
latest report
If anyone is looking for Scott skis there is a place near me that sources Scott skis and sells on for retail minus 25% - www.freeride.ch. We bought a pair of Aztec Pros in new livery before the old ones had left the shelves for less than Chf 500, which is £220 or so... They are worth calling as they get them in on request often.

If you need them sent on or brought to the UK let me know and I may be able to help as I commute back and forth, CH - UK.
latest report
Would anyone happen to have any specs on weight for either the Mission or the Punisher?
snow report
skibomb wrote:
Would anyone happen to have any specs on weight for either the Mission or the Punisher?

Mission looks like 3660 g/pr (178 cm) from this link

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_48_296&products_id=2469
snow report
DB, Thanks - good spot.

If anyone comes across these specs for the 183 Mission and/or 182/191 Punisher, this would be appreciated snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So if I've got a deal of £360 for the Punisher or £440 for the Mission (both including a salomon Z12 binding) should I go for the Punisher? The park's not important to me (I don't bounce so well these days). My quiver would then become Punishers at 182 cm and Gotamas at 183 with a touring rig. Is my quiver a bit too fat - if that's possible!
ski holidays
I speny some my lunch hour in WH Smiths yesterday and noticed that the Mission is still getting some incredible reviews. Ski and Board Magazine (October issue) had their ski test results on show and the Mission was the 'testers favourite' and their ski of the year in the freeride category. Whilst in Fall Line (October Issue) they were once again giving the Missions a very rave review and couldn't fault it. I wouldn't be surprised if Fall Line gave the Mission 'The Ski of the Year award' again.

PS - Fall Line Magazine looking good (which I duly purchased).
snow report
Right, I've ordered the Punishers in 182 - the £360 deal runs out on Monday. I'll find out in Zermatt next month how similar they are to the Missions Very Happy
latest report
Let us know what you think of them after you've given them a good thrashing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ordered a pair of 2007 178cm Scott Missions ... bring it on, can't wait to hit Tignes next week. I think I might have found the only unsold pair left in the country. Better graphics than this years Missions in my opinion, and a great price too. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy