Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas '07: Where To Go For Snow near GVA?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

The missus and I are looking to rent an apartment/small chalet (although I doubt the latter due to expense) over the Xmas break Dec 22-29 (flexible a day or two either side).

We have found well priced flights to GVA around those dates and are now looking for a resort to focus our accommodation search. Preferably we would like to find a resort which will be relatively snow sure (not only to guarantee a white xmas but also to provide good skiing!) and offer fun skiing for our ability (I'd say we are low-intermediates - just starting to find ourselves comfortable on red-runs).

I have been to Les Arcs/Meribel/Courchevel in the past year and whilst I enjoyed all of them I wouldn't mind trying a different resort. Les Arcs was my favourite of those 3 resorts so if that is snow-sure I could be tempted back there. However, these resorts aren't particularly convenient for GVA.

Can anyone recommend a resort that meets our simple criteria of snow-sure (as best can be in Dec) and closeness to GVA? Would Chamonix or Flaine meet our needs? Also, does anyone have recommendations for a private apartment in these resorts that would not cost an arm or a leg (no more than €800 for the week)? The missus would like a romantic setting if at all possible Embarassed

Thanks for any suggestions
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Four of us just booked La Clusaz for that same time.

It might suffer in the snow-sure department (God I hope not), but it seems to tick all the other boxes well.

Very close to GVA
Village looks about as quaint as you could want (and quite romantic)
We're two beginners and two advanced-intermediates, and it at least looks good for all of us
We're also two nordic skiers, and there is plenty of that
A two bedroom apartment on the edge of the village cost €532 for a week, which is not bad at all (although certainly small)

I'm sure you'll get other suggstions, but that's what we decided on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MorganW, quickest for snow-suredness would probably be Avoriaz. Another thought would be to go through the Mont-Blanc tunnel to Cervinia.

I always think that www.ernalow.com are good for s.c. apartments in France.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peak Retreats are another good co. I'm not sure I'd reccomend Chamonix based on the description of yoru skiing although there are runs there that would suit and I had a blast when I went when I wasn't that experienced (or less experienced than I am now). Possibly Nendaz in switzerland
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All, thanks for the information - I will check all of those recommendations out!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MorganW - definitely avoid Chamonix at the level you describe.

I agree with Ray Zorro that Avoriaz would tick the boxes - good intermdiate terrain and good night life. Morzine is also worth considering - it's easy enough to get up to Avoriaz if you need to and will probably be slightly cheaper than Avoriaz. (snowandtrek has places in Morzine.)

Flaine would also work well for you.

You could also head over to Verbier (parlor has a place there).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MorganW,

Been to La Clusaz at this time of year and it's not that reliable. Also been to Avoriaz and I think that would be ideal. We've booked this this apartment for our next trip to Avoriaz. It's cheap and the owners are very helpful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks again for the extra advice. I have also found a nice looking apartment at Les Carroz. Given it's adjacent to Flaine it looks to offer pretty reliable snow at Xmas time. I will check out Avoriaz again however!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You should be fine for Les Carroz at Xmas
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy