Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative boards

Poster: A snowHead
I have now been boarding for two seasons (10 trips and about 40 days), the first season I rented boards and had little idea what I was getting, relying on the hire shop to give an appropriate board. The second season I bought a 163 Flow Infinite, an all mountain board that is stiff and is described as a 'board you must drive', so I have learned to carve quite well because lazy skidding/flipping of the back end around was too tiring.

This season I feel that I should try out a few different boards, maybe learn a few tricks (my board is too stiff even for an ollie, also I am too old for getting too much air). i still mainly want to piste board, and try some off piste etc., not really parks.

I have seen reference to the Ride Timeless, but are there other boards that anyone would recommend. I am 5' 10", 13.5 stone, size 9 uk boots.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anything twin tip would be good for tricks and that crap. I break my boards a lot so I don't really have a preference, it must be twin tip though for me.

Last winter I picked up a 147 kids board, if I duck the hell out of the bindins I can get my feet on it, so much fun riding it. It gives ollies 10 times the pop, and 360s are simple.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, don't be scared of the length... long boards are stable and much easier to really carve. If you're not spending time in the park go for something around 170cm it will also really float off piste. You will find it easier. I'm not up on boards these days, Timeless will always be a classic freeride board, quite stiff...

stab, nice idea but you're just over powering the board, using strength and not technique to make it do stuff... fun sure... but not for everyone...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor, that is a thought, maybe I will do that
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, the last time I was on a snowboard for the day, about 2 years ago, I used a friends 179cm. OMG was it good (for a snowboard Wink ). So stable, and amazingly maneuverable for such a beast. With some good stiff bindings it felt like an alpine board, carving up circles on the groomers. Off piste it was the difference between a 6' and 8' surfboard in silly little waves.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stab, I might have a go at a bendy board then, I need the pop to get my fat artse off the ground Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The guy in local store (BBC) recommended the new range of Atomics for messing around on. Good board and at stupid prices too, only about £160 brand new
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You need to decide what you want to do other than piste. More off piste or more tricks and stuff. As each one will send you in a particular direction on your ideal choice of board. For your height and weight your current 163 is ideal for all mountain. The 170 parlor recommended would be perfect for off piste but useless for even the basic tricks on piste. A 159 with flex and pop will give you the best result for messing around more and will handle piste comfortably aswell. However, you will have a struggle keeping afloat in the powder.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fico, My first trip this year will be Oct/Nov glacier in L2A, so a 159 with pop (and a bit of snap and crackle needed for me probably) might be the choice. I think I will need to hire for the conditions, and i will not therefore be too worried about powder.

I found that a stiffer board (like my Flow) was great for post-learning riding, especially for avoiding catching an edge on narrow hard packed flats.

cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, if you do decide to prefer powder to tricks I would echo what parlor says about not being afraid of a longer board. I am a similar build to you and used a Rad Air Tanker 182 for a season quite happily as my only board. I did struggle to get it in some gondola cabins though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, a guy I know who's done two trips and is now pretty good has Timeless and reckons it's brilliant. He's the same size and weight as you and has the 159. Says it's perfect for the kind of stuff he does, mostly bezzing down runs but a little bit of jumping and some rails.

I've been toying with getting a new board and can empathise with you - got a 166 beginner board (a fair bit of flex) but it's a bit unweildy, especialy when it comes to tight cornering because of its size. It's great for big runs where speed is needed but took a punt today on ebay and picked up a used Elan board (apparently Elan makes 20% of all snowboards, including those for Ride and K2). Cost me £55 inc. P+P and I'm assured it's in great condition. Read a review and it said it's an amzing all-rounder so hopefully I got a bargain.

I suppose it's all about knowing what you want...

Heard that GNU baords are the dog's nads and that Atomic boards are pretty much the kost underrated baords around, just ebacsue they aren't seen that often in UK shops. Check out www.filarinskis.co.uk, as they are having a sale and are doing Salomon, Atomic, Nitro and Venue boards at knockdown prices. Just bought some Flow bindings from them and the service (and price) was amazing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys, I think I want a bit of variation really, something to try a few tricks on but mainly for piste and off piste hopefully. Sounds like I need to own at least two boards, but i think for my next trip I will try something a bit smaller, twin tipped, and lots of pop. Hope that does not make it unstable Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
debbi wrote:
The guy in local store (BBC) recommended the new range of Atomics for messing around on. Good board and at stupid prices too, only about £160 brand new

the axum, either the freddie kruger one or the kill bill one are great jibbity about on boards. Very very nearly picked up the kill bill one over the board I have now (nitro MFM). Hatchet is alright as well but for me it's the axum.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
Thanks guys, I think I want a bit of variation really, something to try a few tricks on but mainly for piste and off piste hopefully. Sounds like I need to own at least two boards, but i think for my next trip I will try something a bit smaller, twin tipped, and lots of pop. Hope that does not make it unstable Very Happy

I have loads of boards but they are all the same, twin tipped things. I've never had trouble off piste, apart from having to move my stance back a bit from being centred on the board. When you get some speed up I used to get some stability problems but don't notice it now/got used to it. Saying that I am always the slowest one down the mountain when going against people with directional boards. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
if you're trying to find the right combo of size/brand/price, I've started using http://www.snowboardpricing.com/Snowboard-Buying-Guide/ and can't wait for my new burton to arrive for this season! Yeah baby!
snow report
stephsox29, I know what I should be riding size wise, but I have only really been on a directional fairly stiff board, so I think I should get a bit of variation now, lots to consider from the replies on here

cheers
ski holidays
The Radical Twisted Evil
ski holidays
nightmare, I am surfing ebay looking at boards to buy now Very Happy Swirly, what is the Radical like?
snow report
rayscoops, it's probably not what your after or at least not the one I tried although a longer one is available which may be a bit more suited to off piste: the one I had a play on at Cas was only 158, however, it had a lot of pop and was extremely light being made out of carbon fibre. I asked for board recommendations at the end of the season, there's a thread somewhere which has a lot that might suit you. I'd also suggest the High Society Twilight or Palmer Honeywhatsit that I tested at Castleford: both have have a fair bit of flex but would make good all rounders.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy