Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cant stop grinning

Poster: A snowHead
just booked for next year . california here we come !

4 nights in san fransisco
9 nights at lake tahoe
4 nights in los angeles

40th birthday trip , 8 months to go and counting and i can,t stop grinning. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
f1l, nice one!
Where in Tahoe are you going?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
f1l, That's 8 days not skiing! What have you got to be happy about!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother wrote:
f1l, That's 8 days not skiing! What have you got to be happy about!

Exactly, he's clearly mad!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssnowman, he hasn't even said he is skiing in Tahoe - might be water-skiing or recreating "the Godfather part 2"...

f1l sorry! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
staying in hevenly and skiing everywhere !

3 grand lighter in wallet and never been happier
can,t stop playing this tune !

http://uk.youtube.com/v/HXKKrcH_mrs
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
f1l, seriously, congratulations, it does sound like a superb trip.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Make sure you do Alcatraz in SanFran. Go in the late evening, for added atmosphere.

Lake Tahoe has great views of the lake.

LA is a dump. But Bel Air and Venice Beach are reasonably cool.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
f1l,

Sounds great. Axman did a big trip spring before last and has a great threat about it somewhere.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
f1l, when are you going? If you are interested in meeting up I might be persuaded to make the long journey around the lake to ski at Heavenly - only if the road is not closed due to snow! snowHead

BTW - you usually have to book for Alcatraz, up to three weeks in advance depending on the time of year.

Whitegold,
Quote:

Lake Tahoe has great views of the lake

er, that's why its called LAKE Tahoe?!
The lake is 22 miles long - 72 miles around. Has 63 streams flowing in and only one flowing out - the Truckee River. If you spread the water out it would cover the state of California to a depth of 14 1/2 inches. Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
f1l, Have a great time. Makes my 40 Birthday plan for my special trip to the EoSB next year seem rather tame in comparison, but as with you I'm already looking forward to it - I am thinking about it each day too!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stoatsbrother wrote:
might be [...] recreating "the Godfather part 2"

johnboy wrote:
Axman did a big trip spring before last and has a great threat about it somewhere

Hmm, I must have got off lightly over the years! wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

LA is a dump. But Bel Air and Venice Beach are reasonably cool.

Brunt, though veyr much to the point! LA is really not much of a "city", unless you count the Hollywood celeb stuff...

Instead of hanging about in LA, see if you can catch a ferry to the "Channel Islands"! (yes, it's called the Channel Islands, it's a national park!) Wink

Or, head into the foothills around. March is wild flower season, the most (well, ONLY) lovely season in southern California.

Santa Monica has a 3 block downtown that's quite pleasant to stroll about and, a nice beach too.

San Diego is only an hour away. Mission Bay, San Diego Bay are all beautiful body of water. Warmer too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd agree with abc San Diego is not far and is really worth the trip. LA was ok, I'm not sure what I was expecting but was a bit disapointed, San Diego was lovely. Sounds like a great trip, lucky you.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Sans (Fran & Diego) are well cool IMHO, but LA is a bit non descript. If you get to San Diego then DO NOT venture accross the border to Tijuana (sp?) it is awful.
ski holidays
johnboy wrote:
f1l,

Axman did a big trip spring before last and has a great threat about it somewhere.

What was the threat? Puzzled
latest report
f1l, if you're not already on www.EpicSki.com , I'd suggest you log on there - Cirquerider and quite a few other members live in California, and I'm sure some of them would hook up with you to show you around.
snow conditions
mount rose has the highest altitude and can have snow when other tahoe resorts are raining....
snow report
I lived in LA for 2 years and it is a hole you can do it in 2 nights, get down to San Diego for a night then cross into Mexico for a night drive past Tijuana which is nasty.

Either that or do the drive to Vegas which is one of my favourite drives through the desert and have a few days in Vegas

Or day trip out to the Joshua Tree national park and take in palm springs

You can do the sight of LA fairly quickly 4 nights sounds a lot
snow conditions
Oh yes, the desert.

March is a good time for doing Death Valley. Nice and cool (well, actually quite WARM, but it's the "cool" time of the year there). Onward to Las Vagas. Not a day trip though, too much driving.

There're a lot of interesting places to enjoy AROUND LA, just not the city itself.
snow conditions
we want to do the trip out to alcatraz , so i look like booking that in england to make sure .
staying in fishermans wharf so should be ok for sights in san francisco
staying at the forest suites in hevenly near the gondola , i want to do the breakfast cruise on the dixie queen , wheres that sail to ?
staying in aneheim in la at the sheraton park i,m a bit old for disney but thought of knots berry farm , whats the other big amusement parks in la ?
going the first three weeks in april and timed it so i,m driving down to la on the sunday hoping it,s a bit quiter driving , want to call at devil postpile on way is that the one on close encounters of the first kind ? is death valley on the way down to la or is it a big detour?
hired a 4 wheel drive so i don,t get stuck anywhere .

suntan and skiing what a combo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Mmmm... From what I remember, Alcatraz is just a ferry over, you can jump on board any time you like, or get the hotel concierge to get it for you. Don't think it's that crowded except perhaps on big holidays. Perhaps because the evening tour is more in demand?

Dixie Queen: don't remember the details, but I think it goes from south shore to the north and back, stopping at one or two points at the south shore.

Death Valley is NOT on the way from SF to LA. But are you driving from SF to LA or Tahoe to LA? If the latter, you can take in Death Valley (plus Jashua Tree & even Palm Spring) quite conveniently. You need to overnight along the way, probably 1 night at Death Valley and 1 at Palm Spring. That would be a fabulous mini road trip, especially that time of year.

Re-reading your first post, you have 9 days for skiing. You should seriously , seriously consider spending a couple of them at Mammoth! It's on the way from Tahoe to LA (if that's how you're going) BTW, the town is called Mammoth Spring for a reason. Wink (same for Palm Spring). Smile

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 24-07-07 19:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=15001&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=heavenly
ski holidays
Quote:

If you get to San Diego then DO NOT venture accross the border to Tijuana (sp?) it is awful.

Echo that. And if you ignore that advice BE SURE you have your travel documents with you, or they won't let you back in.
snow report
f1l, i agree with what abc suggests above, when we where over there we skied a few days at Tahoe and then drove down to Mammoth for a couple of days there as well, about 4hrs drive through some great scenery

highly recommend a visit to Yosemite as well if you have time, there is even a small ski area there Very Happy
snow conditions
HMM San Fran to LA

There is 2 ways of doing this

take route 5 which has to be the most boring drive in the world which takes 6 -8 hours

Take the Pacific Cost Highway up through the Big Sur which hugs the coast and it an amazing drive. Although it is a long way. Just stopping for gas I have done it in 9 hours but there are loads of great little towns that you need to stop in and great views so an overnight somewhere (pebble beach, Carmel, big sur) is recommended

Of all the visitors that I had and tours of California I did with mates and Family its the National parks that live in peoples memory.

In order of must does (my opinion)

Yosemite
Sequoia and Kings Canyon (the giant trees are amazing)
Death Valley
Joshua tree

there are others but they are the big 5 in the area you will be in

Yosemite and Sequoia are quite close to each other and can be done on the way down to LA from San fran if you detour inland

If you do that take in Mammoth as It is a great hill and where I learnt to ski
snow report
Quote:

HMM San Fran to LA

There is 2 ways of doing this

Actually, 3 ways.

The 3rd one is inland, into the hills. That's the one that would take in some of your "big 5", Yosemite/Kings Canyon. Death Valley and Joshua Tree are also possible, though an even longer detour.

But that route would best be done in 2 weeks in itself, not as an add-on to a ski trip. Way too ambitious.

Besides, if f1l is going from Tahoe to LA, Yosemite and Kings Canyon will be mostly under snow in April. Also, he can't cross the Sierra at Yosemite that time of year.
snow conditions
Mammoth Mountain is worth skiing at, even if it isn't fully open, which in mid April could be likely (depends on how cold it is at night). It is also the one place where you might actally notice the altitude, being higher than the Tahoe resorts. Most of the other resorts should still be open, again depending on the temps and it's usally the smaller areas that close first - probably the ones that you're not that bothered about skiing at anyway!
When planning your drive be aware that most of the mountain passes will still be closed - anything that is marked closed in Winter will generally still be closed (passes were just opening up the last weekend in April this year, and we had a poor snow year).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
we drove round the long way south from Mammoth to the Sequoias as the pass was closed mid april, as far as i recall it took about 8 hrs

was quite strange leaving mammoth at lunchtime in a near blizzard after a good morning on the slopes then being very hot in the desert in the afternoon and back in the relaitve cold round the west side of the sierras by bed time!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy