Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in Kronplatz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of taking the family - wife (cautious beginner) 2 teenagers and myself - confident on reds - away for Christmas and having already been to Austria and fancying Italy have been looking at Kronplatz with Neilson. Like the idea of a small resort where the kids can feel confident doing their own thing.

Tempted to book now to secure the flight times and hotel room (for 4) that we prefer rather than wait for a last minute bargain elsewhere.

Kronplatz has snow cannons which served us well in Austria last year - but do I go for it or wait for a better forecast in November?

Has anyone got any views on Kronplatz or hotel reviews - we are looking at Hotel Petrus. Appreciate some thoughts.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead colinsh! You've come to the right place for your questions... though I can't help Confused Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
colinsh, welcome to snowHead

Have been away skiing over Xmas for last few years (France) and IMHO last season was a one-off - but don't hold me to that!

Even with poor snow last year there was enough to ski on and keep us entertained - with snow cannons this will help. Xmas is a peak time so family rooms etc will go quickly which is worth bearing in mind
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
colinsh, Welcome to snowheads.

According to my "Where to Ski" book the slopes at Kronplatz or San Vigilio di Marebbe (Italian name) have 100% snow-making and a superb lift system (out of 32 lifts, 26 are Gondolas or fast chairs).

I would be inclined to book early, Christmas is a very popular time.

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah - I am inclined to book now against the advice of several colleagues who think I should hold out for better deals nearer the time/and a snow forecast but last year we booked when the slopes were still green - in December- and had a ball in the artificial stuff. Forums great by the way guys - whole heap better than a travel agency.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
colinsh, We skied the region in March this year. Staying in Selva, but a friend was staying in Brunico. We skied over on the saturday, a very nice area although my same friend stayed there ealier in the year and found that snow wasn't great. I say this because it did not prevent him from returning later in the season. So probably a good choice.

Ignore your friends, your holiday is important to you for your well being. Book the hotel YOU want and if it costs you a few extra €'s so what. You will stay exactly in the place you want to stay in. As Sage, said Christmas is a popular time to go and you could be left not getting your desired choice. The family will enjoy it, poor snow may be a problem but the snowmaking facilities in the whole Dolomiti area is very good.

Be sure to do the Hidden Valley in Laguzoi.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanx - sounds like a good area although not well known. Will book asap
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
colinsh wrote:
Thanx - sounds like a good area although not well known. Will book asap

i skied there on new years day and the second january last year - although everywhere else had problems (they were holding masses praying for snow in cortina) all of kronplatz was open and the snow was good presumably because of the snow cannon system - someoone was telling us that there is a huge reservoir which collects a lot of the melted snow and rain in the milder season and is then used to cover pretty much the entire mountain if required- kronplatz was fully open from around early november last year i think k- we have friends living in padova who drive up there every other weekend during the winter (lucky gits)

its a fairly big skiing area with a mix of runs but very few british there - seems to be a bit of a hidden gem to me

im going back there for another long weekend in february
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nick0861, Welcome to Snowheads. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sage wrote:
nick0861, Welcome to Snowheads. Very Happy

cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
colinsh wrote:

Has anyone got any views on Kronplatz or hotel reviews - we are looking at Hotel Petrus. Appreciate some thoughts.

Have never stayed in Kronplatz, but having done two seasons in the Dolomites I have skiied/boarded there plenty. The Dolomites are special, and beautiful and the snow making facilities are fantastic. I would recommend anyone who has never tired skiing Dolomiti Superski to give it a go, and there is some fantastic skiing to be had on Kronplatz....enormously long reds and blacks, and plenty for beginners lower down too. Fantastic!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy