Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Junior Race Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Some advice please - my son (age 10 size 140) is in the development squad (dry slope) and has been for some months. He now wants his own race skis (naturally) - but what ones?

We have seen some Fischer RC4 WC SL on the web (Devon Ski) - any good?

Confused Confused Confused
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wannapop, Why not ask his coaches ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have asked, they suggested to look at Head. But before going ahead with purchasing the Head skis I wanted to know what other makes were out there that would be suitable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wannapop,

A lot of guys on here like them (RC4's) and hopefuly will post a comment.

I think Elans are making nice SL/GS skis.

Maybe go to the reviews section under the Snowbase header on this page and see what people have filed these or do a search.

Start with Fischer, Head and Elan
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shayne always seemed to think the kids in his race squads did well on Stocklis....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your help guys Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My son has used Fischer RC4 for many years, had a spell on Head and also a few months on Elan, but he always comes back to the Fischer skis as they suit him - its a different world next year when he moves onto adult skis.

All I can recommend is trying out some skis - any chance of borrowing a suitable pair from someone in the Club and having a few runs? The kids soon know the skis they don't like. Or be cheeky, at many of the races there is usually one retailer or another, see if they have a test pair.

Overall, I would say that in respect of the stiffness of the ski, the Fischer is mid point to stiff, with Elan (depending on the model) stiffer still. In our experience the Head is comparable to the Fischer.

We have just picked up a pair of the 07/08 model of the RC4 and apart from the graphics there seems to be no change from this year's model.

Good luck, I know it can be a minefield!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wannapop, My son is 9 and now on 137cms. having come off 130cms earlier this year. First were Atomic SL9 and were more flexible than most IMO. Current pair are SL11 and are slightly stiffer but still easy to bend in comparison with the Fischers according to our coaches. He is in his second year of summer league racing and still needs the extra flex.
They seem to survive the mats well and are the ski of choice (SL12 now or Race 12) for a lot of the Hemel juniors. Salomon seem to be considered as more flexible still. Heads are the current favourite among the better racers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any pair of junior race skis the right length will probably be fine. My current favourites are Dynastars - they seem to have completely transformed the skiing of the kids who have changed to them this summer and are very popular on the club national/grand prix circuit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wannapop, My son and daughter were both very happy on the SL9's and then SL11's. AsNick W, says slightly softer than most. My two are of shorter and slighter build than some. Son now on SL12's certainly heavier and stiffer flex, daughter on Heads this year and loves them. Unless your son is a big lad, on 140's maybe go for something with not to stiff a flex. Have you got to go for new, maybe someone at your club has some good condition skis for sale. I know my shed is groaning with about 4/5 pairs of various SL11's and Dynamics (Note to self, must put on Ebay)

As I expect you know last LSERSA of season at Bromley on 23rd Sept. (If thats not too long to wait) Bartletts always there with various demo skis
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gsb, Note to self; buy skis for juniors from gsb if not too knackered (skis that is not gsb). Anything in the 140 - 144 range?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all your advice - phoned Bartlett today and they suggested Race 9 Atomic £135, Dynamic VR17 £99 or Fischer Competition £175, will take a trip up there Friday to have a better look. Hopefully come Saturday my son will be the proud owner of his first pair of skis.............................now to the wax, etc HELP HELP HELP rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wannapop, Once through the front door of Bartletts you will be sucked into the enthusiasm of it all! Terry and co will explain all about wax and edging and racing and, and, and.....
Their advice has always been the best I have received. One thing though, you could see if they have any of last year's stock available; SL9's instead of Race 9 etc. It's amazing what they have "out the back" if you ask.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nick W wrote:
wannapop, Once through the front door of Bartletts you will be sucked into the enthusiasm of it all!

Laughing Bartletts is my favourite shop in the world. Terry is a great character, and I always seem to come out of the shop with something nice or useful, whether that be advice or goods that I've paid for.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wannapop wrote:
.......Hopefully come Saturday my son will be the proud owner of his first pair of skis.............................now to the wax, etc HELP HELP HELP rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

wannapop, I've PM'd you.
snow report
wannapop, can't remember exactly which skis our lot have, but I think there are a fair few Dynastars, Fischers and Elans, and a couple of Dynamics and Atomics. Not necessarily directly relevant, but since getting some Dynamics myself I've beaten my training partner 5 times out of 6, whereas prior to that I'd lost to him 5 times out of 6 Wink .
ski holidays
GrahamN, I think I'm right in saying that the Dynamic VR27 and the multi coloured replacements are rebadged Atomic SL11 / 12's. I think this is also true of the junior skis. Does bring home the point that confidence in the ski is at least part of it too Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Nick W, I have PM'd you
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy