Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to SKI!!!

Poster: A snowHead
roga, fair point - and I think I would have winked - if this wasn't halfway down the second page of this thread. I did genuinely wonder if this was a slow-burning sock-puppet at work... After all we have both the "do I need more lessons" and "where is snow guaranteed" questions.

oafc0000, welcome to snowHeads, and Skiing - the best way of getting rid of all your money. You will get promoted to higher levels of ski teaching as you get better. Snowdomes will be Kindergarten and reception, Austria may be your primary school, you may then go to France for secondary education. Switzerland and North America for University...

*runs for cover holding ski helmet over nads*

Seriously - holidayloverxx's suggestion of two separate weeks in year 1 is absolutely spot on.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oafc0000, If you are considering going across the pond to North America then here is a primer on tipping
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=21799&highlight=tipping

rolling eyes Puzzled wink Shocked Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PisteHead, is that a link to another one of those "Why you should never ski in North America" threads, containing posts by people who have never been, and don't think anyone else should go because it's not France/Switzerland/Austria? Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat,..........eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh...............NO. It's a thread about the intricacies of tipping and how they relate to cultural differences. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother, i dont get where you are coming from ? Why would someone come on a forum asking these questions and not mean it ?? What would be the point ?

I did try using the search before posting but it didnt bring me back much useful information. Anyhow, I think people should be able to tell im geniun by now.....

Anyway....cant be arsed with all that fuss, book my straight into Uni please NehNeh lol
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

book my straight into Uni please

If you're up for the challenge, and you're reasonably in shape, and athletic, I will make you an expert skier in 50 hours, just like WFTH. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, An Expert skier by midnight on Thurday. Shocked God you must be good Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, lol......bring it on NehNeh
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
veeeight, An Expert skier by midnight on Thurday. Shocked God you must be good Very Happy

Especially over the internet. wink

Oh, oafc0000, it'll cost you though. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, remote "learn from home" fully inclusive ski package.......worth its weight in gold NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oafc0000, my two penn'orth now... Smile

Do the LTSIAD at Tamworth, practice as much as you can, do two separate weeks in Europe. Leave it until a few weeks before & you should get a pretty good deal (@ £400pp for a catered chalet isn't too hard to achieve, maybe less if you're lucky and/or prepared to spend hours on the net & the phone...). I would really recommend a catered chalet, btw - in my experience, a bunch of nice people of all levels of ability, united by a love of skiing & (usually) red wine. Oh, & G&Ts... Smile

Have private lessons! They usually cost about the same for two people as for one, and are seriously worth the money. You'll learn much more in, say, three or four two-hour private lessons for you & your wife than you would in a week of ski school. And you can choose the time (having to be at the school meeting-place at 9am on the dot for five days is a bit of a pain, IMO, especially if it's a bus-ride away...)

And above all, have a great holiday, it's fun, you know snowHead

(Btw, Oldham Athletic? Just wondered...)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jo225, thanks for the advice...and less I do NehNeh
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

book my straight into Uni please

If you're up for the challenge, and you're reasonably in shape, and athletic, I will make you an expert skier in 50 hours, just like WFTH. Very Happy

Yup - living proof - V8 taught me everything he knows in 50 hours.

Most of it I really didn't want to learn... Laughing

...but I would point out that I am in excellent shape (remember, "round" is a shape), and athletic - well, about as athletic as Old ham. I have maintained my racing snake physique through years of snorker scoffing, and with a lot of hard work, I upgraded from "6-pack" to "50 litre barrel".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oafc0000 wrote:
stoatsbrother, i dont get where you are coming from ? Why would someone come on a forum asking these questions and not mean it ?? What would be the point ?

what indeed... Confused
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ok...been giving it all some thought....

We off to the Ski Dome start of September to do the Ski in a day course to get our practic started and keep going back to the snowdome ( and the one in manchester when it opens) and keep praticing and doing more lessons.

Now we are thinking of doing two weeks in europe instead of canada. Seems to be cheaper and the only thing drawing us to canada was the possability of visiting vancouver etc.... So sod it were going to go to europe next winter.

Long time off so been looking at other cheap options of getting some pratice in closer to home. So was wanted to as about skiing in Scotland ?? We are planning on doing a week trip up there anyway this winter and was wondering how often the slopes up there are open ? Looked on this website and it seems to be resonably priced as well..

Thoughts?
snow report
depending on where you live it's a darn sight easier to get to Europe I think rolling eyes I'll leave it to those in the know to advise on conditions.
ski holidays
Live manchester way.....but if I am on holiday up there this winter (we usally go in January) then I can make sure we visit / stay somewhere within a resonable distance.
latest report
oafc0000, Why not use that week to go skiing in Europe?
latest report
johnnyboy, ......alot of factors....mainly money/avilable holidays/wife wants to go scotland.....its not going to happen this year (before apirl) as much as i want to go.........

Doing a day or two skiing in scotland would be an option though seeing were already planning on going, wife was quite open to that idea.....
snow report
No doubt I might be pelted for saying this, but skiing in Scotland may be one of the best ways to put people off skiing..............

Cold
Wind
Ice
Vis
Cold
Wind
Ice
Vis

<ducks>
latest report
veeeight, oh dear NehNeh bad idea then ? NehNeh
snow report
Have never skied Scotland...but have been there when it would have been skiable...and Christ it was rough Shocked I'm of the mind that you have to be close enough to take advantage of conditions,when they are right?As I'm in the Midlands that rules it out for me.If you are planning to be in the area anyway,then go prepared..you might just get a window in the weather....or not?It is said that 'if you can ski Scotland-you can ski anywhere' wink
snow conditions
ha ha

oh well. will see what happens but its sounding like a none starter. cheers.
snow report
Skiing in Scotland is different to skiing in Europe but lots of people love it and if you're there anyway and the conditions are good then I'd definitely recommend it, look at www.winterhighland.info for more info, inspiring pics and the best place to find out what the snow conditions are like. One word of warning the absolute beginer areas at some of the ski areas are a bit dull so if you are still feeling a bit wobbly in the snow dome I'd give it a miss, the first time I went I was a bit lost as I got the lift up then couldn't see the piste, there quite often isn't a defined piste as you would expect to find in europe, especially if theres just been lots of fresh snow but then eveyone on here is always raving about off piste anyway Smile
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
<ducks>

Pelt, pelt, pelt Wink

Nah, bollox to that - I grew up skiing in Scotland and although I've now gone soft after skiing in Europe lots (and elsewhere) and now become a certified southern wooftah it does have it's up side as well as it's down sides. For example people are polite and friendly, and chat to you, and queue for lifts rather than create the sort of scrum with elbows you get in Europe.

lynseyf is about right right in his/her comments so take no notice of any southern wooftahs making comments above - it'll put hair on yer chest (and a lot of other places too... or ye'lll freeze tae death wink )

Seriously tho it'll either be terrible or incredibly wonderful (in many years I've been lucky and had more of the latter than the former) but you can cut down on your chances of the former by firstly avoiding Cairngorm and as a beginner probably heading somewhere like The Lecht. If that's not a goer than go anywhere that's open but be prepared to stay flexible with your plans and do other things if the weather's rotten.

It's true though that 'if you can ski Scotland-you can ski anywhere' but I took my daughter up there at 6/7 and she had fun so so I'm sure you'll cope Smile
snow report
roga,
Quote:

It's true though that 'if you can ski Scotland-you can ski anywhere'

I'd agree with that. I've skied lots in Scotland, when it's good it's fantastic, when it's bad it's the worst place in the world. Had some good times there though and the Whisky is always the redeeming factor.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
roga,
Quote:

when it's bad it's....

character building? wink
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman wrote:
roga,
Quote:

I'd agree with that. I've skied lots in Scotland, when it's good it's fantastic, when it's bad it's the worst place in the world. Had some good times there though and the Whisky is always the redeeming factor.

REAL whisky too Toofy Grin
snow report
Yup, last few comments about right, including the mention of whisky and the beer is pretty good too Very Happy
ski holidays
When its bad its still better than a snowdome Very Happy
latest report
Me and the wife need some Ski Gloves and Ski Pants for these ski lessons (we dont have watreproof gloves and pants so might as well get the ski ones)....

Went to a ski shop in manchester this weekend and the wife was told mits with removable inner lineing would be best for her as girls feel the cold more in there fingers....is this good advice ??

What makes a pair of Ski gloves a good pair ? And should we look for in a pair of Ski pants ? Notices some of the ski jackets have snow skirts which seem to be able to connect to the pants. Should we stick to the same brand for jacket and pants so they connnect or is this not important ? help NehNeh

We already have a waterproof coat which should be fine for the snow dome.....

Cheers!
ski holidays
If she *does* indeed suffer the cold, then mitts with inners would be a good way to go (at the expense of good grip with poles).

As waterproof as possible, gloves below roughly £40 don't tend to that waterproof after some time. Try to get one with a goretex or hyvent or triple point membrane.

As long as the jackets have a powder skirt you should be ok, not really that important to get them connected to pants.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy