Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Castleford Board test review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm reposting this here so more boaders see it incase they're interested but don't want to wade through pages of sk reviews. I'm 6ft 2 and around 90kg FWIW, currently riding a Wild Duck Mountain 159 which is very old and a bit short for me.

Unfortunately all the boards there were also a bit short for me but that's not necessarily a bad thing on such a small slope, so in order of testing:

(1) Palmer Crown LE 161, I've been wanting to ride one of these for a while as it seems to be designed for my sort of riding, however, once I got on it I found it bloody stiff, maybe it was because it was the first thing I got on and I was a bit rusty but it was hard work to move between edges. At speed it became easier and it would be fun for speed merchants with strong legs also I imagine it would be good in the powder but for me it was slightly too much hard work.

(2) High Society Empire 160, Very Happy Very Happy I'm getting one albeit a 164 Very Happy Very Happy I think thas says it all really. It ran beautifully, easy to get on edge and to get right over for really tight turns, cuts through the crud at the side with ease, gives a bit of pop off the moguls (no lid so didn't go over the proper jumps, used the mogus instead wink ), easy to spin round and I think it will go like poo-poo off a shovel in powder. All in all I can't wait for next season. kiwi1 if you want a quote for a brochure I can give you plenty.

(3) Palmer Honeycomb 3 158 (I think). This is a nice board, however, it rides just like my old board, would be a great choice for an intermediate who likes to see the mountain without any serious freestyle.

(4) Radical Flight 158, the lightest board ever I was told and it must be true. I can ollie this as high as I can jump in trainers. This is a board that makes you think you can do anythingMasque, has got it spot on, this is a true park board although I think it could be ridden anywhere. It is expensive (£600ish?) but then again it's made out of carbon fibre hence no weight and really thin but still strong enough to thrash. If you are serious about freestyle then you need this board if you can't afford it sell your boots, buy this and hire boots Cool it is fun. OTOH I stacked it quite painfully as it made me try things I just can't do so be aware, think of it as dating a beautiful stripper: amazing but everyone will want a go and if you're not careful it might just give you herpes Twisted Evil

(5) High Society Twilight 158, more of a park board than the Empire but still responsive enough to deal with anything on piste, this rides somewhere between the Flight and the Honeycomb. It ws quite forgiving and easy to turn. I'd recommend this for anyone looking for a do anything board who has a couple of weeks experience but doesn't yet have a board. It's nice to ride and has enough pop to bounce around while being stiff enough to carve, however, it just wasn't as much fun as some of the others for me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting info. Thanks Swirly Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, heard about the Radical flight. Sounds an awesome board, being so light and all that. Sounds awesome... but scarey!! Don't think my missus would take kindly to me spending the mortgage money on a board though!! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Specialman, almost 50% cheaper than the Palmer Platinum though, think of it as an investment: buy one ride it for a bit then sell it to Boeing or Airbus to use in a plane as carbon fibre becomes scarce. Seriously it was a joy to ride and after looking at their other boards they have some crazy things going on. If I could afford one as well as the Empire I would do it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I want one!! Might melt down my fishing rods and make a board out of them!!!

Just had to replace two tyres on my car thanks to a bloody pothole so that's £250 less to spend on boarding kit until pay day, so may have to wait until I get a new board, whatever it is!! Sodding county councils!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Specialman, sell the house, buy the surf Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly wrote:
Specialman, sell the house, buy the surf Twisted Evil

Sorely tempted... snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd have to be seriously 'wedged', 4 stone lighter, 20 years younger, and free to go find the snow wherever it fell in order to buy the Radical board, exquisite as it is. But it doesn't do the 'whole package' thing that the High Society Empire is so obviously capable of, the Empire was a real joy to ride . . . sooooo smooth, no chatter, lots of feedback, responsive . . . and this was without any fine tuning, just slap the bindings back to regular (Swirly's a 'sinisteré') in a random 'duck' and go slide. If Kiwi1 hadn't already got his claws on my wallet I would be and still might be second in the queue to buy one. I'm not worried that it might not be the best on ice (and for that I just need more practice) . . . when conditions are that bad it's time to trash the skis Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy